Waibel's Rule of Interpretation (aka "How to Interpret the Rules")

The only CORRECT interpretation is the one I say! :eek::cool::p The sooner the rest of the world gets that, the sooner we can all sit down and have fun...and end all fantasy rpg forum arguments everywhere. :lol: heheheh. [Seliousry though, nice chart. :) ]

The only CORRECT interpretation is the one I say!
:eek::cool::p
The sooner the rest of the world gets that, the sooner we can all sit down and have fun...and end all fantasy rpg forum arguments everywhere.
:lol:
heheheh.

[Seliousry though, nice chart. :) ]

You seem to be confusing a conversation about best practices for the general community with a commentary on your personal game.
how is tat any different then what you are doing?

If you say that you are now having an awesome time doing whatever it is you are doing, then great.
Play what you like.

As to my comments on what makes a best practice for the community at large, they still stand.
how do you know that our practices are not better for the community at large... heck it doesn't even have to be a majority to be worth it... if 25% of gamers would enjoy our style that would still make it worth bringing up... heck even 10%... but what if it was 45% or if you were wrong and we were the majority?

Don't worry. If Celebrim puts a snowman in Alderaan, it's probably commuting to Hoth.

I meant strwman, but my niece is staying over and playing as I type...

complaints? The way you told it, the player used metagame knowledge to try to bully you with ruleslawyering to make the game world how he or she wanted, rather than what you as the DM wanted, presumably because they can't handle anything outside very strict RAW you didn't describe open dialog, but a lengthy heated discussion and for what? Because the MM that he or she memorized said manticores don't live in a forest?

players like that shouldn't be catered to because it gives them an even bigger sense of entitlement

I did not read any of what you did... all I read was a player questioned why it was there and stated they are not normally there, the DM instead of engaging in dialog doubled down and started a fight, one that went way past where it should, and even regrets it in hindsight...

the missing part is the player motive, witch you have read into in a negative light

DaveDash

Explorer
I saw an example of this on YouTube. I won't go into details in case the DM posts here, but basically he got a ruling completely wrong, and the way he ruled nerfed a player somewhat. He declared "Sorry guys that's just the way I read the rule!".

Totally ruined my enjoyment of the series at that point. Made it seem more like dictators and dragons, not dungeons and dragons. I'd *never* declare anything like that without input from the table.

I preferred it when the DM was considered a referee, not a dictator.

I saw an example of this on YouTube. I won't go into details in case the DM posts here, but basically he got a ruling completely wrong, and the way he ruled nerfed a player somewhat. He declared "Sorry guys that's just the way I read the rule!".

Totally ruined my enjoyment of the series at that point. Made it seem more like dictators and dragons, not dungeons and dragons. I'd *never* declare anything like that without input from the table.

Well I do not know exactly whitch one you saw, but I agree. I often get the feeling there is a not to small minority of DMs who are on power trips, and some of them hide it well until you are in there game and they try to "put there foot down".

Ranes

Adventurer

Fair enough. And I'll stick my neck out and say that a DM who can't stand to be corrected on a rule is a poor DM. But in the case of the manticore, it's not a case of the DM being wrong or nerfing the player. Elves don't usually live in water, until you pick up a copy of Stormwrack or decide that, in your campaign, they do. That's not making an incorrect ruling. Nor does it disenfranchise anyone. Even if a DM who puts a manticore in a forest has forgotten that the MM says they usually live in deserts and that his players might reasonably expect to encounter them there, it's not being dictatorial to say that the party nevertheless encounters one in a different habitat.

Celebrim

Legend
no one brought up bad DMIng but you... it was a mistake one that would not bother me, but did bother someone... again we were not there, the player had a reason, I would love to know what it is...

It wasn't a mistake. By his own admission, Hussar preferred that manticore's not be restricted to deserts. Moreover, by the rules, even though manticore's in second edition had the 'favored terrain' desert, monsters don't have to be restricted to their favored terrains. It is a mistake to suggest that monsters can only appear in their favored terrains and DMs have no right to place monsters wherever they wish. Regarding Hussar's opinion that he was wrong because he wasn't aware of the 2e favored terrain, in that Hussar is mistaken.

As for your position that I shouldn't make assumptions, you yourself have just made a most unwarranted assumption and one that strikes me as terribly unlikely - that the player who called this out to Hussar had a reason. I think it highly improbable that he had any reason at all. On the basis of my 40 years of experience with nerds, I suspect that there is no other reason than the player remembered the fact, and decided therefore 'he was right', and would not let go of it. He had no reason for caring, but gosh darn it, that's what the book said so he was 'right'. On the basis of my experience with people, and on the fact that even you admit you can't imagine any possible reason to care, I don't think any other explanation is remotely likely. And if there is some other explanation, it would be even more ludicrous.

we disagree I see no problem with the question...

I'm not going to go in circles. I already wrote a detailed explanation as to why the question was wrong. I don't intend to repeat that whole post. Feel free to peruse it. But the question itself is a minor foible compared to the fact that apparently the encounter between the player and Hussar was so traumatic that Hussar remembers it as plowing over a player. So on the assumption of unwarranted assumptions, I don't think we can actually affirm that there was a question. I suspect it was more of a declaration or an accusation to be remembered in this light from this distance.

except can you evaluate a painter without seeing his work but by hearing a critic of his work saying "I said I didn't like it back then, but in truth it wasn't so bad I would give it a better review today."

We know enough to know a player challenged a DM regarding the favored terrain placement of a monster. This is enough.

no of course there are reasons to sometimes hide it, and I have enough "Trust currency" that I normally can...

And in conceding that, I feel you've conceded almost the entirety of my argument. It's hardly worth reiterating the point if you agree that there are valid reasons. It seems I'm mostly arguing with you then because you feel insulted, even if your actual disagreement with me is pretty small.

but I earn that trust by not "Covering up" every misstep...

I don't care particularly how you earn your trust. Point is, not being challenged over the placement of a monster is a level of trust even a 6th grade DM randomly stocking his dungeon should be able to expect.

I feel insulted because you came to a public place and basicly said "The way you do things are wrong..." when you know full well how pissed you would be if someone told you your way was wrong...

I know full well? To be fully frank, and I've said this before at EnWorld in other contexts, so I'm not just saying it now - I feel I have no right to be pissed. Period. I not only feel I have no right to be angry when someone tells me I'm in the wrong, but would feel I was further in the wrong to become angry about that. I feel anger is morally evil, especially and perhaps always in defense of ones person. I feel ashamed when I get angry about such things. I have confessed to the boards that there are still some triggers that do get me angry - misquoting me in particular, actions I feel are unjust by authority figures, things I feel are deceptive - but have said repeatedly that you cannot get me angry by contradiction or any sort of insult. Call me a SOB, call a jerk, call me a dipstick - public place or not, internet or to my face. I will not be angry over that. I'll probably laugh. In a few cases, I might even agree with you. I don't take any pride in the fact that I'm not yet fully in control of myself regarding people misconstruing me and misquoting me apparently willfully, but I am trying. And as regard to people just disagreeing with me, that happens all the time. I should be a terribly unhappy person if I raged about it to any degree at all.

So I know no such thing 'full well'.

how is it weird that I am calling you on your BS?

It's not weird that you'd disagree with me. It's weird that you'd say you were disagreeing with me while making all sorts of suggestions which any one reading my posts would know I fully agree with. I can only put it down to the fact that you were blowing your top at time and impressing on me how angry you were and how seriously I should take that.

and how often do you find players that wont work with you when you say them? no hypothetical players real ones?

Lately, pretty rarely. I can handle most players and by and large most of my players have been pretty reasonable since reaching adulthood. However, this neglects my actual point, that though I can deal with problem players and bad play, I don't feel I should have to.

I think your luke example was a strawman and not in anyway reflecting my view point or my style of game or my theory I stated...

Well of course it was a strawman. It went beyond starwman. It's bloody well satire. But it's really not that far from some table arguments I've seen regarding canon in the FR, the placement of tombs, or the HD distribution of goblins in a tribe.

As for your feelings that you've been insulted, if I were to recall times when I 'snapped' and banged my head on the table and called out DMs, it wouldn't be with any intention of receiving approval and sympathy for such actions. That I withhold such approval and indeed find the actions to be less than ideal, and that you nonetheless wish to feel insulted about, I cannot do anything about. I don't ask that you not take my words as insulting. I instead ask how you intend such a description of yourself to be anything but self-deprecating or how you imagined such a story would justify your opinion? I would think that the story is funny because you can laugh now at your own folly, but did you intend for me to see the DM in the story as deserving of your abuse?

your luke example was far worse...

No, it wasn't, though since as you've pointed out we don't have any full information, I wonder how you know it was worse. But leaving that aside, if it seems far worse it is only because we in the audience know the DM has a good explanation. In point of fact, the complaint about the Manticore is far more trivial than that of any of the objections my hypothetical 'Luke' made. In a different context, without a well thought out explanation, considering the established tropes of the setting, each of the issues that Luke's player raises are valid. The big problem I was trying to demonstrate was the instincts of the Luke player. And yes I've seen those instincts many times before.

I have never meet anyone in person willing to be as verbaly abusive as you are over the game that was not looking for a fight... infact you are far worse then any example given here...

My original posts simply displayed my dismay at the poor level of play implied by the incident, and tried to explain why. I don't see how that is verbally abusive. You are the one who decided that the shoe fit. My retort to your post was more colorful I admit, since you wished to tell me how grown ups were supposed to behave while providing as examples things which look more like temper tantrums to me. Big font anyone? As for looking for a fight.... well, you are the one suggesting how angry you are and how angry you've been in the past and well angry. Physical violence hadn't accorded to me until you brought it up. I suppose I'd get hit a couple times by you if this was in person, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:

pemerton

Legend
When I sit at a DM's table, I do so at the Dm's pleasure - he is the host, and I'm to be a good guest in his 'house'.
If you trust the DM this isn't an issue, because you have faith in their ability to make sense if thing.
Problems arise when you don't trust the DM to play fair or lack faith in their ability to make sense of things.

In the first case, rules that allow the trusted DM to tell stories they want without being shackled by the rules leads to a better experience. When the DM is having fun it's infectious. In the latter case, bad DMs can be held in check by rules, but they'll find a way (accidentally or on purpose) to impact the fun.
I'm not sure it's even a trust issue.
I'm 100% sure it's not a trust issue. Nor is it an issue of "good manners", as Celebrim assets.

Not everyone plays RPGs so that the GM can tell them a good story. Not everyone regards the game as belonging solely, or principally, to the GM. For some, story, backstory, campaign world etc is secondary to game play. For others, they want to contribute in a significant way to the telling of the story.

When the focus of the game is on game play, then there needs to be some way of mediating possible competing moves. When the focus of the game is on story contributions, then there need to be some way of mediating possible competing contributions. This is one thing that rules can do. For them to do this, they have to have some content that is independent of the GM's conception of them, given that for them to do this they have to bind the GM as well as the players.

Both Hussar's examples (plate armour, and manticores) concern background elements. I think the scope for conflict comes up most often in relation to action resolution. For instance, can a powerful epic-tier fighter leap 50' from a flying carpet onto a flying slaad lord? This question came up in my most recent 4e session. We didn't answer it by considering what makes sense to me (the GM) or to the player of the fighter. We resolved it using the jumping rules.

my players honestly don't care about the rules much.
I don't think it's nearly as much of an outlier you think it is.
So the advice for GMs who have players who don't care much about the rules is "Don't sweat the rules." Do we need a flowchart for that?

There are plenty of RPGers who do care about the rules, even when they are not GMing. Not because they are bad players (whatever exactly that means) but because they are there to play a game or they are there to impact the story, even when the GM didn't expect/want the story to go that way. For these players, the rules are the system for mediating different desires/expectations, and competing moves, at the table.

Among serious players of sporting games, or board games, not just the referee cares about the rules. And there can be such a thing as good or bad rules adjudications. RPGs can be like this too.

That's really nitpicking though. I don't think either of you are really wrong. The important thing is the overall point. That being, "If a rule at first doesn't seem to make sense, evaluate it in the context of other similar rules and the intent of the design. If it still doesn't make sense, do what you want with it and don't let it stop your gaming."
I agree with [MENTION=6693417]Authweight[/MENTION]. This is not very helpful advice.

It doesn't give any advice on how to decide if something "makes sense" (eg to whom? using what criteria? etc - consider the billion arguments over the past 6 years on Come and Get It as "martial mind control" vs CaGI as a tool for modelling martial skill within the relatively abstract D&D resolution framework).

And it doesn't give advice on how to "do what you want". Of course everyone wants a great game. But standards for "great game" differ. And the connection between GM techniques, rules and outcomes is not always obvious.

And yet, as kids in the early 80s, we didn't know what the hell we were doing and we had a blast. Perhaps we should just let people have fun without trying to quantify how "right" they are or aren't.
Maybe the game you played as a kid in the 80s was ultra-awesome, but my best guess is that I, today, would find that a game not worth playing in.

I know that is true of my own early campaigns. I enjoyed a lot of stuff as a kid that wouldn't appeal to me now. Tastes change. In particular, most adults have more sophisticated tastes than most kids, and so a game has to offer a little bit more (and, perhaps, a little bit different) to be worth playing.

No player should ever be arguing you're using a monster in the "wrong" terrain. This is a good example of "no arguing at the table, leave it to after the session" type thing. I mean come on now, players shouldn't ever be bringing up that sort of information.
And here we have a prime example of "badwrongfun" - Hussar points to an actual play experience that shows that what makes sense isn't always cut-and-dried, and we get told that it was only a problem because the player was bad.

I don't know anything more about the player than what Hussar has told me. But what if the player was playing a ranger with a favoured enemy (it sounds like it was a 2nd ed game) and had deliberately chosen the forest journey rather than the desert journey because s/he knew that his/her PC's favoured enemy is (per the Monster Manual) common in forest? There can be other cases, too, where the players choose a strategy based on terrain (eg "The only dangerous flier we would expect in a forest is a Green Dragon, and we have our scroll of poison gas protection") and then suddenly the GM has a manticore show up!

Players make all sorts of assumptions about game and world backstory. When the GM violates those assumptions, conflict at the table can result. In my view, telling the player s/he is a dick isn't the best technique for resolving that conflict.

in the case of the manticore, it's not a case of the DM being wrong or nerfing the player.
Without context I don't see how we can tell. What plans had the player made? What sort of character was the player playing? What investment did the player have, as part of his/her game experience, in following received D&D lore?

There are ways in which a player could contest the manticore encounter which suggest bad faith or a lack of sporting behaviour (eg the player suddenly realises the party isn't equipped to deal with flying ranged attackers, and so tries to negate the encounter via a metagame strategy). There are ways in which the player contesting the manticore encounter is all about good faith and investment in the game - I've sketched some of them above.

because metagaming with out of character knowledge is generally considered bad form at best?

heck, if I know I'm gaming with someone who wants to memorize everything in the book and apply it when their character would never have such knowledge, I will change things up on purpose.

no one likes a rules lawyer who sucks the fun out of the game. "Products of your imagination" for a reason
Look, more prescriptions of how other people should play!

"Products of the Imagination". Whose? The guy who imagines manticores as desert dwellers? If not, why not?

As for metagaming, who knows what class and level and background this character had. For all you know it was a 10th level druid or ranger!

Because he wasn't the one running the game and has no way of knowing that what he memorized has any bearing on the campaign that is currently happening.
Why does the player have no way of knowing this? Do 10th level druids know nothing of the natural world that they live in?

Part of playing an RPG, for me at least, is internalising an awareness of the shared fiction. In D&D, orcs are (generally) baddies, or at least (like Gygaxian half-orcs), "rude, crude, crass and generally obnoxious". Dragons are colour-coded by terrain and breath weapon. And, for this player at least, manticores live in deserts.

If a GM does what Weis and Hickman did in one of the Dragonlance books, and has the guards attack my PC with their hauberks (I assume they meant "halberds"), I am going to give a quizical look - and moreso when my PC starts suffering slashing rather than bludgeoning damage!If the GM is departing from received lore, I prefer this to come out through means other than throw-away decisions about random encounters. If the GM tells me we see a group of orcish soldiers up ahead, and I (and the rest of the players) plan how we can ambush them rather than take them down face-to-face, and we succeed, I will be pretty unhappy if the GM then tells us that we all lose a level for violating our alignments, or has us arrested and imprisoned at the next town for breaching the peace, etc etc. For me that would count as bad GMing.

Who am I to judge that, for someone else, it is not the manners and morals of orcs but the favoured terrain of the manticore?

Obviously it was important enough to the guy that he memorized what terrains manticores live in. If one of my players was obsessed enough to learn that kind of detail, why wouldn't I want to respect his feelings
100% this!

In order for the game to work at all, player expectation and GM expectation of what comes out of these rules intersections must be fairly congruent with extreme regularity. When this doesn't happen <snippage> It becomes akin to a real person physically moving through our world suddenly having their proprioception and/or spatial awareness upended. Expect a loss of confidence and faith in their senses, their mind's orientation toward all things, and their subsequent movements based on the combination of the two.
This is why I find that the "strong GMing" approach is terrific for a game like Cthulhu, where part of the play experience generally involves undergoing (vicariously) your PC's loss of sanity, but not so good for heroic action-style games, where part of the play experience generally involves experiencing (vicariously) the ability of the PC to stamp his/her will upon the world, in the model of Conan, Aragorn, Superman, Indiana Jones, etc.

b) As such, the player's first recourse was to verify and question the metagame out of game rather than questioning the game in game. There are all sort of things that a skilled player might consider upon seeing a manticore in a forest.

a) Something big must be happening in the desert to get manticores to flee from their normal habitat!
b) Since this is a forest and manticores are only found in deserts, this must be an unusual subspecies. Be on the look out for unusual powers. Don't take anything for granted.
c) Since this is a forest and manticores are usually found in deserts, something must have brought it here.
d) Since this is a forest and manticores are usually found in deserts, this might be a shapechanged creature.
e) Since this is a forest and manticores are usually found in deserts, this might be an illusion.
f) In this game world, manticores aren't in fact desert creatures.
g) The DM forgot that in 2e, manticores are exclusively desert creatures, but so what? Why should I care?

Options a-e are all very interesting, but mutually exclusive with the "never question the DM" style being suggested by some posts in this thread. Only after the DM has acknowledged that, "true, manticores aren't usually found in deserts, isn't that interesting?"--only then does it make sense to infer anything unusual about this situation. And of course, if your PC doesn't know enough about manticores to know this (fails his Intelligence/Nature check), you are then morally obligated to act as if there is nothing unusual about its presence--no disbelieving the potential illusion based on metagame knowledge.

Remove ads

Remove ads