Waibel's Rule of Interpretation (aka "How to Interpret the Rules")

The only CORRECT interpretation is the one I say! :eek::cool::p The sooner the rest of the world gets that, the sooner we can all sit down and have fun...and end all fantasy rpg forum arguments everywhere. :lol: heheheh. [Seliousry though, nice chart. :) ]

The only CORRECT interpretation is the one I say!
:eek::cool::p
The sooner the rest of the world gets that, the sooner we can all sit down and have fun...and end all fantasy rpg forum arguments everywhere.
:lol:
heheheh.

[Seliousry though, nice chart. :) ]

What might be helpful in evaluating play divergence, is if the GMs in this thread posted their joys (the ends) and the means to get there (agenda, principles, techniques). For instance, the agenda of "play to find out what happens" is at one end of the spectrum while "tell my players a good story" probably sits at the other end of the agenda spectrum. The principle of "draw maps but leave blanks" would lie on one end of the princples spectrum while "before play, flesh out or use an extremely detailed setting/world" would fall on the other end. And on techniques, something like "fail forward" would be on one end of the spectrum while "task resolution tightly mapped to process simulation/causal logic" would fall on the other.

I'm not as eloquent as some in this thread, but I'll respond to your challenge here with some brief highlights of my style:

* I enjoy playing more than DMing, so my joys while DMing are along the lines of "players had a good time" and "memorable things happened", as well as the "play to find out what happens" aspect. I try to be the kind of DM that I would want to play under.

* My other joy while DMing is simulationism. This is to say, both constructing and tweaking rule subsystems to make them more accurately represent the desired fiction, and also building consistent stories/ecosystems/societies based on those rules. Why don't black puddings just take over the world? (Or do they?) What happens when you drop a primary witchlight marauder on a continent, and how quickly does it happen? What effect does Elminster's existence, or an analogous ubiquitous-powerful-crazy-prepared-benevolent wizard, have on a world, and on the adventures that you can have there? A lot of my adventure ideas and plotlines spring out of this kind of thinking.

* Principles that I follow include "have a world which makes sense", but also "PCs are Weirdness Magnets." The latter principle implies that the Laws of Plot are allowed to apply to the PCs (a PC sitting in a public restroom will overhear a statistically-unlikely number of Interesting Conversations), and the reason for it is simple: Niven's Law for Writers #4 states, "It is a sin to waste the reader's time," and players are like readers in this sense. But the world also has to make sense--it has to be someplace that you could actually inhabit--so the weirdness that they stumble across will not exhibit obvious gameisms, it will be as self-consistent as I can make it. For example, one of my players recently asked me for rules on falling damage: that is, the damage an object inflicts when it falls on you. I'll come up with some rules, but I'll make sure that they are consistent with the existing rules for falling damage, traps, damage from dragon/giant natural weaponry, and the damage which huge rocks from trebuchets inflict when they fall on you. I'm not going to handwave away any issues with physical laws by invoking gamist tropes like "dragons do more damage than giants because they're supposed to be a higher-level challenge" or "trebuchets aren't intended for PCs." And bad guys will fight bad guys, and some people on the good guy's team will be evil, because that's how a realistic world would work. And sometimes you really will run across of whole clan of 40 Fire Giants, even though it's not a level-appropriate challenge for anybody under 30th level, because Fire Giants are not loners. Anyway, the point is that I am influenced by both simulationist principles and the desire to provide good experiences for my players, and I reconcile the two by bluntly admitting to my players that their PCs are not living typical lives. (Corollary: if a PC starts an industrial revolution with True Polymorph, he is not doomed to discover that some NPC already discovered/perfected/discarded the technique. PCs are allowed to change the world, it's part of why they are PCs.)

* I'm not sure if you would call this a principle or a technique, but I sketch rather than plan. At both a macro scale (campaign design) and a micro scale (what's going to happen in the adventure today), I jot down a list of all the various things that are going on in the region and ways they could possibly intersect: "there's a vampire, and 3 carrion crawlers, and 18 skeletons, and a sign that says 'Treasure in THAT direction'", and then I will ad-lib most of the actual events, but I will pull from my prepped notes as I'm ad-libbing so that, for example, if the PC discovers a sewage line, I have a good idea that one or more of the Carrion Crawlers will be in the sewage (but not more than three of them, because that's all there are). Or I may know the hobgoblins are planning a resurgence in "revenge" for getting kicked out of the area by the original human settlers three hundred years ago, and they've told themselves stories about how the Keglar Clan (in reality only about fifty hobgoblins on the original five-hundred-acre territory, but much more than that in their hobgoblin descendants' minds) are the rightful owners of the Kingdom of Desdemoria--so the hobgoblins the PCs capture may be willing to go along peacefully as long as they don't find out that they are Desdemorians. (And if the wizard listens in on the captives' conversation using Comprehend Languages, I know what they are probably talking about amongst themselves.) And since I know there's a Rakshasa in the kingdom, masquerading as the king's advisor, why, he probably knows about the hobgoblins and is quietly fanning those flames. Or maybe he's opposing them. So anyway, the principle here is "sketch out the main outlines in advance, fill in the details when they become relevant."

Last edited by a moderator:

I didn't establish Joy in the post above, as you had requested (slipped my mind). That one is going to be hard to pin down to be honest as its probably got far too much subjectivity embedded in it. I think I'm just going to be lame, cop out somewhat and just say that, in terms of running any given TTRPG, for my money, I derive joy when the mesh of Agenda, Principles, and Techniques are executed well at the table to provide an entertaining version of the expected experience.

If I'm running Dread, I'm looking for and working toward a very different play experience than if I'm running an old school dungeon crawl versus when I'm running 4e, DW, MHRP, or Dogs. So different Joys for different games.

I think trying to penetrate that deeper might be difficult for me right now. You guys can take a crack at if you perceive it differently.

You suggest that you have a low enjoyment of world simulation, and that you have no favored setting you are carefully constructing as a toy in your mind. And that's probably some variation from me as a GM, because I do have such a 'setting as mental toy', but if in fact 'setting as mental toy' was my agenda, I wouldn't bother to nor need to GM, because setting as my own mental toy to develop is just as enjoyable and if not more enjoyable by world building for its own sake. If I really had this as my agenda, I would build the world but not waste time running the game. Instead, I find that I do very little world building except where I think it intersects my game needs. For example, despite the fact that this setting is now 30 years old, I'd never in that time even given much thought to a sun deity until I had a player say, "I want to worship the sun deity." Only after I had an in game reason for a sun deity, did I begin fleshing out what that sun deity was like.

I don't think "setting as mental toy" is part of your agenda profile for your d20 homebrew game. Regarding your extremely high resolution setting, I think its something akin to what I posted above in the examples. Because I don't know the specifics and only know how it all comes together, and your interests, based off of posts I've read, I'll take a crack at it being something like this:

* Give them a deep and compelling fantasy world, with its own will and machinery, full of struggle, tyranny, and hope so that they may fill their lives with adventure.

Then you'll have techniques that you deploy, each one informed by one principle or another at the moment of choice, which trickle down from those (and the others that make up your Agenda) aesthetic and functional priorities.

As I wrote above. It looks like you (a) enjoy the mental exercise and (b) enjoy its impact on play. So...Joys?

This suggests to me that are real agendas aren't as dissimilar as you might think. I think it is fair to say that once I find an in game need for setting information, I'll pour myself into imagining that setting information and that I prefer to spend a lot of time brainstorming for ideas I think I'll need prior to play rather than hoping my first instincts during a game are the best. From what you've said, I'd guess you prefer to improvise on the fly in response to needs as they come up. But neither of these things is actually an agenda of play, but rather a GMing technique for bringing about the desired play. It isn't clear to me that the sort of play we both desire has divergent features, or that the experience of being a GM in play we both desire is all that divergent. All I hear is you hate to prep and don't think you need it to obtain the desired play experience where as I feel I need to prep in order to obtain the desired play experience because I don't trust improvisation.

Strikes me as more of a function/utility component of agenda rather than aesthetic (although it could affect the aesthetic...but possibly not in this case). Your sense is that you derive your best material for your players to engage in with intensive deliberation. Whereas, I feel the inverse.

However, outside of you and I, here is what I have to say about the potential negative effect of (1) intensive deliberation (heavy pre-game prep or purchasing and imbibing an AP/module that you expect to run stock) and the potential negative effect of (2) half-assed prep/poor improv:

1 - The first precautionary tale is about deep investment. While it can certainly be bested, its perfectly natural to seek to protect and get the most bang for your buck out something you're deeply invested in. As such, that investment (the time, effort, love put into it) can become the primary locus of play. From that, all sorts of other troubles can arise from putting the PCs in a passive position of plot consumption or setting surveyors to (possibly even subconscious) adversarial play to (a) protect canonical elements against too much player infuence or (b) to make sure that the AP's expectant course is not deviated from (because that is where the action is!...and that is what you've deliberated so intensely over and assimilated with your $, time and mental overhead expenditure).

2 - The second precautionary tale is about incoherence. The danger here can be several things:

a) genre incoherence or mash-up that flat out doesn't work
b) lack of continuity and internal consistency of elements that have been established in the shared imaginary space during play (NPC names, goings-on, imporant locales or backstory)
c) not knowing your players/their PCs and how to provoke their thematic interests
d) being tasked with but incapable of providing interesting/fun challenges that properly test skill

This sort of statement strikes me as a misunderstanding, as neither high meta-plot nor high preparation actually requires any of the things you abhor. When you state this as a reason for avoiding the technique, it just suggests to me that part of your problem is that you understand a lot better how to improvise effectively than you understand how to prepare effectively. One reason I say that is I engage in high prep precisely to avoid high reliance on fudging, abridgement of the action/resolution mechanics, and reliance on metagaming that I find is the inevitable result (consciously or unconsciously) of high reliance on improvisation. (See for example my essay on how to railroad, where I assert that all low prep games are unavoidably railroads.)

I think what you're referring to above (regarding some dangers of heavy reliance on improv) are most often the fallout derived from trying to do so in a system like 5e or AD&D where the process for handling the basic resolution mechanics and then the varying subsystems that interface with them are a mesh of abstraction, precision, and natural language open to interpretation. Heavy improv within such a rules framework, especially when you have specific outcomes in mind that you would like to have manifest in play, can put a lot of pressure on the referee during adjudication (and he has to referee a lot) while simultaneously offering up a fair bit of conflict of interest. The GM wants this or that to happen...and he knows the players want some of the same things...but they want to feel like they're making it happen...a little bit of massaging play procedures here, a little overleveraging the offscreen there...VOILA. You feel you're good to go so long as the players don't get wise.

This is surely a large part of the reasoning that we all developed our unique AD&D systems (which appears to be happening again with 5e). To hedge against such temptations and pressures, to firm up our play procedures generally and the action resolution mechanics specifically such that we might GM more confidently and rule more consistently.

Alright, that is all I have for now. To post anymore would make the conversation more diffuse than I can handle right now (in terms of time or mental overhead). Later, I'll try to look back through your two posts and find what I didn't answer.

Few more minutes so an answer for something I missed.

If I can tease out a possible difference in agenda, it's that you seem to have a more player perspective on enjoying exploring the NPCs and setting in play (which is what I enjoy as a player, so that's why I call it 'player perspective', this of course could be a bias), where as I tend to do my brainstorming on NPCs and setting out of session and so am not surprised by them in play (since I already 'know' them). My joy as a DM comes especially by exploring the character of the PCs and the surprising things that they do, and not the NPCs. The session is about lavishing my time and focus on the PCs (and through them on players), which is precisely why I spent the time between sessions lavishing detail on everything else so I'm not distracted from that mission. Between sessions I may be 'surprised' to learn of the existence of this or that NPC or location I never before imagined, based on my brainstorming about what 'should' exist (either to serve a narrative purpose or because the 'life' of the setting implies it). However, I would say that overall, this is a very small difference in agenda or joy compared to the large difference in technique.

Also, if you could address then why you enjoy being surprised about your NPCs or setting, I'd find that very interesting.

First a quick interlude example from a present game. I like to give my players a glimpse of offscreen things now and again (and a fair bit of the time, I'll request that they assist me in carving out the backstory/offscreen establishing vignette). This is the sort of off the cuff thing that I'll do:

Meanwhile...many miles away...

The chill wind is a hail of daggers on their exposed faces. Their lungs burn in their chests, their feet throb through their boots. Its a whiteout, but the hasty crunch of snow easily marks their fleeing path for their pursuit.

The man blindly leading the trio by hand thinks "...what was I thinking coming here...Gods help me, I've cursed us to an even crueler fate..."

The little one yelps as he takes yet another tumble in the uneven, unforgiving ground of the highland tundra. The snow is not soft, but icy hard. Where he hits it he bruises. Where he misses it, he gashes his skin on razor-rock. Whether through fear or wanting to show his father he is tough lad, he stifles a sob.

The third of the trio wraps her arms around his tiny waist and scoops him up, nestling him near to her momentarily to offer him some security amidst the terror that he is surely feeling. She smiles at him "...you are strong like your father."

A hulking shadow casts over them, stealing the tenderness of the moment. The much smaller man attempts to throw himself between his family and the huge, looming brute. The back of a hand as large as the man's head greets him, felling him unconscious. "The father is weak and so shall the son be."

Another man, also covered in heavy furs, smaller, but no less imposing, walks up to the group. "We've fed you lot for two weeks...given you shelter...kept you safe from 'the things" out there....and this is how you show your gratitude? Slinking off in the night...your debt unpaid?"

He steps in close to the kneeling woman and her boy. One eye nothing more than an empty socket, face a mess of pocks and scars, he whispers "...nothing in the highlands is free."

This offscreen interlude was all off the cuff. Who are all of these people? What is their story? They start out extremely malleable with a few fixed components and lets of questions. As those questions are answered, the NPCs slowly take shape and are discovered (by myself and the players) as the game progresses. Of note, and very different than how another agenda would handle NPC creation, their cultivation is based on immediate dramatic and/or thematic need and, as such, emerges as play progresses rather than before play.

So now, we know a bit more about this guy (at least we think we do...they still haven't met this guy nor these refugees):

The histories speak little of the barbarian tribes that claim that place as home. The primary mention is of one family, the Argoths, that was cast out some 20 years ago from this settlement. The patriarch of that family, Ranyon, was a viscous but brilliant man of no small size and stature who nearly died as a boy from a pox. One fateful winter, Ranyon Argoth had a dispute over goats with another man. Ranyon alleged that he leased the goats and a portion of his land so the man and his family could work off an owed debt. The other man alleged that the goats and land were sold to him fairly and that there was no debt.

The dispute was taken before the settlement's arbitrators. Due to lack of a physical contract and other confounding factors, they found in favor of the other man and ordered Ranyon co-sign a contract that they would write up. Enraged, he refused and a terrible fight broke out in which Ranyon nearly killed three men but lost an eye in the process. Within a fortnight, the man in the dispute with Ranyon was found dead and his wife and daughter missing. Ranyon's large clan, 2 wives and 12 sons, had up and vanished. It is believed that they fled north to the Coldlands to be with the only other humans in this highland realm.

Part of the reason for the in-situ cultivation of this NPC, and his potential relationship with the refugees, is to give both the PCs in this game an opportunity to flex thematic muscles of their character. Those include:

Alignment (Chaotic): Break an unjust law to benefit another.

Bonds:

* The layfolk of this world are brave souls. I have much to learn from them.
* I will protect the weak against the tyranny of evil men.

PC moves:

* Throw Down the Guantlet and The Riddle of Steel: These abilities are about challenging humanoids to duels. In the face of immediate combat, you learn about their inner workings and thus can gain future leverage over them. Further, these abilities also stipulate the prospect of potential, immediate negative fallout to those in power, with respect to the infrastructure of said power and their underlings, whether or not they accept the duel.

What unjust law (and how)? What bravery of what NPC and what does it engender within the PC (and what physically transpires from it)? What tyranny, how potent, and is it legitimately evil? Is there any potential justification? Whose power, what infrastructure, and who are the underlings (and why are they subordinate?)? What is the backstory?

Through play, we'll (meaning myself and my players) find out more about the NPCs and the PCs. Much of it is low resolution or formless. I treat NPCs just like maps; "Draw maps, leave blanks." Most of their workings emerge in actual play.

Contrast that with Agenda, Principles, and Techniques that promote/require an objective world, with objective NPCs that are significantly fleshed out before play and, accordingly, bring with them prescriptive qualities into the arena of play.

I enjoy this discovery for its own sake (I find myself pleasantly surprised...by myself...but also my players) but I also enjoy it because it allows me mobility and incentive (because I have only a modicum of prep to fall back on) to insert components into the shared imaginary space, right now, based on immediate thematic and dramatic need (which will evolve as play evolves). I can predict some of a play session's dramatic/thematic needs in advance so some level of prescribing the nature of the people and places of the world before play will be helpful. However, because I can't predict nearly all dramatic/thematic needs in advance (nor predict their intra-session evolution), thus assuring that those conflicts and their momentum will be front and center, heavy prescription will have a failure rate that I'm not particularly comfortable with (and don't have the free time to lose!). As such, I need to go about play prep (very broad considerations for setting, antagonists, with honed focus on theme/dramatic momentum and a variety of relevant scene openers) and play itself (heavy improv guided by familiarity with my agenda, principles, techniques and robust conflict resolution mechanics) a different way. I've found that this approach inclines my game toward that constant, streaming introduction of, and escalation or snowballing of, situations that the PCs intimately care about.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not as eloquent as some in this thread, but I'll respond to your challenge here with some brief highlights of my style:

Eloquent aplenty. I'll try to comment with more depth on some of the specific parts of your post later. Given what you've posted here, and what I know of his game through his postings, I think you and Celebrim would likely be a very good match for each others' tables as you seem to share similar aesthetic and functional priorities of play.

I'm running Apocalypse World right now - we have the Gunlugger, Savvyhead and Maestro D in play, which is proving ridiculous amounts of fun at the moment. AW contains the Agenda and Principles of play (I suspect [MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] pulled the idea from Dungeon World, although I can see some entries of his own devising...). So anyhow, I would say...

My GMing Agenda:

Play to find out what happens
Bring the Apocalypse to life
Upset the status quo

My Principles:

We all own the gameworld
Be honest with the players
Everyone gets the spotlight

Techniques are way too many to list but important ones include:

In the crosshairs*
Ask questions like crazy, and
Make failure not boring

* This technique basically says if your attention falls on an NPC, building, thing or place, your first thought is to consider killing or destroying it.

I'm running Apocalypse World right now - we have the Gunlugger, Savvyhead and Maestro D in play, which is proving ridiculous amounts of fun at the moment. AW contains the Agenda and Principles of play (I suspect @Manbearcat pulled the idea from Dungeon World, although I can see some entries of his own devising...). So anyhow, I would say...

Good stuff. My thoughts on gaming, as I'm sure you can tell, are in no small part influenced by VB. While he didn't write DW, it being "Powered By the Apocalypse" means that the DNA and spirit is his (but to be fair to Latorra & Koebel, their contributions are rife and masterful). You know all the other sources (among them Gygax, Moldvay, Tweet, Laws, Heinsoo, Crane, Banks) but I don't want to bring certain things up as I know there is a lot of antagonism on this website towards "certain sources." So lets just leave it at that!

The Agenda, Principles, Techniques for a game like AW translates to DW perfectly with only adjustments for genre required (which are certainly required). Those DW APTs translate to games like MHRP and 4e so what you have above is pretty close to my own. Obviously the P column expands a little bit and the T column considerable (which has a lot of fluctuation due to the change of resolution mechanics from system to system).

Beyond what you have above, one Technique I like to use in those systems (which I shared above) would be:

* Share the offscreen and use it to foretell ominous portents, to anger, to entice, or to reveal a price paid.

The Principles that guide and inform that usage are typically one of these two:

* Emotionally invest them.
* Start some latent trouble that follows from their actions.

My GMing Agenda:

Play to find out what happens/ tell an interesting story... one I would read or watch
shake up the table and make at least someone say "Wow"

My Principles:

We all own the gameworld
Be honest with the players when you can (sometimes the look on someone face when they realize the wild woodland hafling alchemists with super strength potions are based on gummy bears)
Everyone gets the spotlight
Anything can happen ( If PCs decide to do something I didn't espect I try to roll with it)

Techniques are way too many to list but important ones include:

don't be afraid of a loading screen (when a PC does something that totally changes everything... tell them you need a moment, and congratulate them on finding a loading screen in a table top game.)
steal from everyplace imaginable, then hide it behind a more common example of the troupe. (she ra's sword of defense and wonder womans larret both made appearances and where not realizes until multi games in)
ask what you want to gain from this... (When someone asks for info out of no where, before I answer I ask why... if they want to trick an NPC I will help them, if they think they are going to trick the DM I will teach them not to be so aggressive...by just shutting it down)
rich intergrated stories that make people want to care about npcs..

Beyond what you have above, one Technique I like to use in those systems (which I shared above) would be:
* Share the offscreen and use it to foretell ominous portents, to anger, to entice, or to reveal a price paid.

The Principles that guide and inform that usage are typically one of these two:
* Emotionally invest them.
* Start some latent trouble that follows from their actions.

So, was this like the interlude from a few posts back?

I can see how that could provide a sense of mystery and a give a general sense of drama in an as-yet-unconnected-to-us way. I don't think it would suit my style or group...

For ominous portents I tend to go with plumes of oily smoke on the horizon, or the huge blackness of a storm reaching into the sky like a granite wall, a bone-shuddering howl from the impenetrable stinking fog or huddled refugees arriving half starved. Simple things that PCs can react to, or not. :)

So, was this like the interlude from a few posts back?

It is.

I can see how that could provide a sense of mystery and a give a general sense of drama in an as-yet-unconnected-to-us way. I don't think it would suit my style or group...

Its a technique that I use very sparingly (along with player-authored kickers, and having them directly add to the fiction rather than myself on certain action resolution outcomes - eg Spout Lore or Knolwedges/Wises). I, and the folks at my table, find that, when used sparingly, each of those techniques add their own unique impact to Story Now play.

For ominous portents I tend to go with plumes of oily smoke on the horizon, or the huge blackness of a storm reaching into the sky like a granite wall, a bone-shuddering howl from the impenetrable stinking fog or huddled refugees arriving half starved. Simple things that PCs can react to, or not. :)

Same here. In fact, amusing enough, almost all of those exact examples can be found in my recent games as complications brought on by action resolution!

When I have a few moments in the coming days, I think I'm going to assemble some APTs for process-sim sandbox play, pawn stance dungeon crawls, story now (a la DW), and story now/gamist hybrid (a la 4e) play.

Remove ads

Remove ads