D&D 5E Wait...do adventure modules come with soundtracks, now?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
There are a few places making music to accompany adventures, but none are 'official.' They can be quite useful to increase the atmosphere at your table.

pukunui

Legend
There are a few places making music to accompany adventures, but none are 'official.' They can be quite useful to increase the atmosphere at your table.
Syrinscape has some that could be considered official. Some of them even have WotC staff doing the voices.

EDIT: I should add that Syrinscape's packages include more than just music. There's ambient noises, spoken dialogue and all sorts of stuff. I gave it a try when they published their first one for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. I thought it was definitely a cool idea that could be quite useful - the ambient background noises and music more so than the spoken dialogue* - but I ended up not using it long term because it was just one too many things for me to remember to do stuff with while DMing.

*Chris Perkins' voice wasn't how I imagined Volo sounding, for instance. Plus I sometimes want to change what an NPC says depending on what the PCs do or say, so having prerecorded audio for a given NPC isn't necessarily that useful.

Last edited:

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I should add that Syrinscape's packages include more than just music. There's ambient noises, spoken dialogue and all sorts of stuff. I gave it a try when they published their first one for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.
I also gave it a try a while back but found the UI too limiting. I wanted to set up a soundboard to quickly switch between the different sound fx, but the UI made that more difficult than it should have been IMO.

Perhaps it‘s gotten better, because the sound fx system by itself was fantastic.

I'm pretty sure there have been adventures with soundtracks all the way back into the 1990s. It's a hell of a difficult thing to search on, but I could swear that certainly by like, somewhere in the 1993-1998 range there was adventure module coming out for certain games that included an audio CD. I think my bro ran some edgy-ass adventure (probably for some half-forgotten system) which involved a CD of slightly questionable but fun atmospheric stuff.

Remove ads