D&D 5E Wandering Monsters: Big Beasts

S

Sunseeker

Dinosaurs always struck me as very setting specific. I don't thing that every setting needs them, even if isolated in some "lost world". I think if you're going to use dinosaurs and other pre-historical animals, you need some kind of setting dedicated to a "jurassic theme park".

Nymrohd

First Post
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4wand/20130625

Nice to see the popular vote is against James "Spiketail Behemoth" Wyatt.

Heh, and it turned around. This is not a thing that is reasonably debatable I suppose. It's a matter of taste. The poor latin scientific names have no place in my fantasy but I've seen people attached to them. It's not as it really matters pragmatically (only it does cause when it comes to style everything matters, pragmatism be damned).

P.S. I am not making fun of anyone. I really get why people may want those scientific names.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
I might be the only person who liked dire animals. It is, again, one of those things that would be best done with a template or 'improve this monster' rule.

I don't mind what they call dinosaurs, but the fewer COMPOUND_ADJECTIVE NOUN monsters we get this edition, the better.

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I'm strongly in favor of including dinosaurs in the core books for two reasons.

1 - I like dinosaurs.

2 - A young, impressionable gamer may, while paging through the Monster Manual, flip open a page and recognize the magnificent beasties there. And he may be inspired. Sure, dragons do that, and so do orcs, and other such monsters. But dinosaurs hold a certain appeal that is just as strong, and for the couple pages required to have them in, it's worth it in my books.

Orius

Legend
Dinosaurs are cool.

Though really any in the core should stick with the popular stock dinos like T. rex, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, a dromaeosaurid, a sauropod, and maybe one or two others. We don't need a plethora of dinosaurs outside lost worlds. I give the more descriptive names a big meh.

Giant eagles and elves, I'm fine with that.

Drop the dire animals. 3e's insistance on calling all big mammals "dire" and sticking bone ridges all over them was silly. Go back to the old giant rats, cave bears, and carnivorous apes. Dire wolves are just big prehistoric wolves, and other Pleistocene animals that are good are smilodons, mammoths, and hyaenodons (for the gnolls). Irish deer might be a choice, what with the Hobbit films showing Thranduil riding something like that in the opening scenes of the first movie, might be interesting to see wood elves having some sort of affinity for them.

Remove ads