D&D 5E Wandering Monsters: Big Beasts

Libramarian

Adventurer
I think this is an interesting point. The scientific names for the dinosaurs are, in many cases, following a formulaic construction that does much the same thing as the compound words in the 4e monster manuals: they describe the animal in question. They just do so in a fancy-pants manner designed to make the person using them look all the smarter for knowing an archaic language's roots. Because we all know that things sound more exotic when they aren't in our own vernacular even when they're saying much the same thing. N'est-ce pas?

Ultimately, I don't think the 4e-style compounds are doing anything wrong, per se. Rather, they just sound silly when used for creatures that we already have suitable names for.

I don't speak any other languages fluently but something tells me that languages like Latin (and maybe German?) are constructive in such a way that you're supposed to make up new compounds a lot, whereas in English with our ginormous polyglot vocabulary there's no need to do that and it sounds childish. Although dinosaur names are literally simple compound descriptions in Latin, I don't think they have the same connotation of simple-mindedness in Latin as they do in English.

I think for English speakers, because we have so many words with roots in different languages, we have more of a taste for exotic-sounding words than speakers of other languages. Adjective Coolname doesn't cut it, perhaps especially for us.

That's my theory anyway.

Hussar

Legend
I think there's some decent arguments that can be made on both sides. It's true - a lot of the dino's are known pretty well by their real world name. And those real world names are pretty evocative in their own right. I know that my character is probably pooping his pants when the DM tells me that a Tyrannosaur just stepped into the clearing or those hobgoblins attacking my castle are riding triceratops (which actually don't exist, but, we'll ignore that for a second).

But, what about all the dinos that aren't well known? I mean, there's no difference between a made up name and Aurornis xui is there? I guess it depends on how many dinos you really want in your game.

At the end of the day though, the reason WOTC wants to use funky names is all about branding and has little to do with anything else. You can brand Macetail Behemoth, you can't brand Stegosaurus.

Hussar

Legend
Well, to be fair, WOTC wouldn't be the first to be guilty of this. I mean, online games do it all the time. And there's a reason they do it. Branding.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Is lion fantastic? Is tiger fantastic? Is bear fantastic? Oh my.

Not fantastic but entirely 'natural'

Yes, they would be given common names and this is entirely sensible within the fiction of the campaign world but not in a rule book. Answer this: if you decide you need the stats for a panther what page would you turn to? A page near the middle, where the 'P's are located or one near the end, where the 'Y's are?*

Actually I see your point and might be prepared to change my mind and concede this to you:)

"Cuernotres" appears to be (almost) Spanish for "three horn". In what way is that exotic or fantastic? Is it more or less exotic for Spanish speakers?

in the same way Bear derives bfrom a Germanic base meaning brown and panther comes from a Sanskrit word for Yellow. Calling it a not quite Spanish common name appeals to me. A native Spanish speaker can cal it by its English name or perhaps use the Dutch Dreihoorn instead

but nah after yours and other arguments I've changed my mind list Dinos by rl name and leave flavour for world building

Last edited:

PinkRose

Explorer
Personally I'd prefer a triceratops to be called as such. Much as I'd call a tiger a tiger not a stripyfur fangbiter. Would thog the caveman, or whoever, refer to a dinosaur by its given name? No. But the MM is designed so that I can find the stats not thog.

This is what I've been thinking reading this.
Give us names we can use in the game.
Not every villager knows the difference between an Undead Eye Tyrant Beholder and a Beholder.
So they aren't going to really have scientific names.
But, I as a player want to find them in the MM quickly and easily. I still don't know all the Eberron names. But if someone says Stegosaurus, I know what it looks like.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Begs for an article in dragon magazine with alternative names for monsters, Luke back in the day. Villagers do not know what a wyvern is vs a dragon.....heck, some adventurers do not.....

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Begs for an article in dragon magazine with alternative names for monsters, Luke back in the day. Villagers do not know what a wyvern is vs a dragon.....heck, some adventurers do not.....

I'm reminded of a developer's diary (I think that's what it was) that talked about - when running a group through a modified version of The Heart of Nightfang Spire - how one of the NPCs told the party that the tower was guarded by "a dragon...a white, I've heard."

When the party went to confront the dragon, after loading up on fire spells and defenses against cold damage, they fought the dragon...and found that it was, in fact, an undead creature with negative energy-based attacks. It took them a few minutes to realize that they were fighting a "wight" dragon!

A bit tangential, but it goes to the issue of name-recognition of monsters (albeit in how it can be twisted by a cunning GM).

Orius

Legend
I'm reminded of a developer's diary (I think that's what it was) that talked about - when running a group through a modified version of The Heart of Nightfang Spire - how one of the NPCs told the party that the tower was guarded by "a dragon...a white, I've heard."

When the party went to confront the dragon, after loading up on fire spells and defenses against cold damage, they fought the dragon...and found that it was, in fact, an undead creature with negative energy-based attacks. It took them a few minutes to realize that they were fighting a "wight" dragon!

Did that DM have a screen +1 vs. dice? Because he probably needed it after that stunt. :D

I always enjoy reading about dirty DM tricks like this.

Remove ads