D&D 5E Wandering Monsters- Bird People

Klaus

First Post
That's an intriguing idea, and the best I've read so far concerning the creature. Is there an established ecology of the Hook Horror?

Dragon #131 (1988), according to Wikipedia.

And the achaierai (mentioned upthread) is an interesting creature to put above the hook horror and the dire corby, as an ancestor/originator/controller.

Nymrohd

First Post
The thing is the achaierai is highly intelligent and one of the few things normally tied to Acheron (Acheron has achaierai and bladelings, that's pretty much it with high profile critters).

Klaus

First Post
The thing is the achaierai is highly intelligent and one of the few things normally tied to Acheron (Acheron has achaierai and bladelings, that's pretty much it with high profile critters).

All the better. Achaierai could have created hook horrors and dire corbies, in a relationship not unlike aboleths and skum.

Acheron also has the vaguely insectoid rust dragons, btw. (and now that I mention them: rust dragons as huge cousins to rust monsters is another possibility!)

All the better. Achaierai could have created hook horrors and dire corbies, in a relationship not unlike aboleths and skum.

Acheron also has the vaguely insectoid rust dragons, btw. (and now that I mention them: rust dragons as huge cousins to rust monsters is another possibility!)
I remember is was mentioned that Rust Dragons were possibly a mature form of Rust Monsters.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

Did someone give you the erroneous impression that we need pro/anti Planescape warring on top of the other long-standing conflicts around here?

Please, don't inject such threadcrap into otherwise unrelated discussions. It is disrespectful of those trying to have an actual conversation.

Thanks, all.

Orius

Legend
If D&D needs a bird race in the core, then I see no reason not to use Aarakocra. They existed through 3 editions of the game, and had rules to use them as PCs. That's good enough for me. Probably the claustrophobia should be toned down a bit though.

I'm not familiar with dire corbies. Then again, according to this article, they're old Fiend Folio monsters that didn't get updated until 4e, so that doesn't sounds like they're one of the better entries from the FF. And my impression of FF is that it was the source for the biggest number of lame 1e monsters (let's face it, every edition of the game has had some really silly stuff). For every interesting classic monster like the gith races, FF had something like the flumph.

Wyatt doesn't even seem like he wants to do anything with the gyerian, so why'd he bother mentioning it? I can see how it might seem silly, since it was a Basic monster, and Basic at this point was pretty much being aimed at younger players. Still, while I'd like to say that it might have potential as a low-level encounter, I was never all that impressed by its entry in the Mystara MC either, and I've never really felt a need to use it.

Kenku and tengu probably should be the same monster. But then, kenku seem like they were popular in the past. I dunno. Still, I have no problem with them being in core.

Interesting that other have mentioned how the nagpa resemble skeksis, because that's what I thought of when I first saw them in the Mystara MC. Though IIRC they were given a CN alignment in 2e. Never used them, but they have potential.

The raptorians don't sound interesting at all. And really, they feel redundant when compared to aarakocra.

Remove ads