D&D 5E Wandering Monsters- Bird People

urLordy

First Post
I just don't see where bird-people(differentiated from non-civilized bird-monsters such as Harpies) fit into the D&D puzzle. Humans, elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, even orcs; these races conform to the "what you'd expect to see in a humanoid on a regular basis." But bird-people don't. It's not simply excess hair or funny teeth or a short/fat/skinny green skin, it's feathers, maybe even wings for arms, beaks, tails, talons for feet. It's jarring. Bird-people are simply so exotic they require a very cosmopolitan setting, or a very exotic one where the "human" model is not the standard.
Hmm, I wonder. I have an inkling of a theory:

Animal-Human hybrids with animal heads = no respect
Animal-Human hybrids with human heads = respect

So, for example, the harpy and sphinx and centaur would get respect, but not the hieracosphinx or a horse-headed man.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic

So, for example, the harpy and sphinx and centaur would get respect, but not the hieracosphinx or a horse-headed man.

I think you're definitely on to something in the collective unconscious, here. Absolutely true.

We 'like" the familiar. We "fear" the unknown i.e. the strange or 'too' different from our norm. Human [or human-esque, like elves, et. al.] head/faces definitely receive a favorable reaction to those things we do not immediately recognize...and thus "relate" to. Even going right down to the majority of "good bestial creatures" like shedu (full bull body, wings, but a human head/face), lammasu (lion body, wings, but a human face/head). Mythological/real world ranks of angels, supposed to be known/interpreted as mysterious and powerful, barely fathomable...human bodies, wings, animal heads.

The wings, themselves, too! Feathered wings? Awwww. Birdies! Bat-like or stretched skin (pterodactyl-like) wings? EW! Scary! Gross!

Centaur: Human head and "well-formed" muscular torso + Horse body? Horses are noble, helpful, useful. They can be "wild" or "domesticated" [which is comfortable, familiar, not harmful -for the most part]. Centaurs = COOL!

Drider: Elfin (even DARK elfin) head and torso + Spider body?! Spiders are creepy, silent, deadly. They have abilities: climbing, sight/multiple eyes, web-spinning, poison...like nothing humans can do or duplicate. Drider = AHHHHH RUN away! RUN away!

"Scorpionmen" identical reaction.

Lamia, same thing. Human[oid]] head torso, female even! + combined/unknown "beast" or snake body? Bad, bad, very bad...and naturally, since "it's" female, there's that level of added "strangeness" to male minds. So it can charm/seduce/deprive men of their senses: lamia, harpies, sirens, medusae, nymphs, fairy beings of all sorts, on and on throughout [mostly mediterranean/occidental, it seems, though a few asian creatures apply as well] myth.

Still, they are not considered as horrifying or badwrongstrange to our unconscious as, say, a giant [like "Shelob" giant] spider *shudder* or a chimera [rotsuv non-human monsters all rolled into one!] or in direct contrast to centaur, the minotaur! Human body with a BULL HEAD?! It eats us? It knows things we don't/can't possibly know [maneuvering the labyrinth]? It's bigger and stronger than almost any of us can be? Nooooooo!!!!

Suffice to say, I think your "theory" is much more reality than you have realized. :)

MarkB

Legend
I'm not keen on unlimited flight at low level, but likewise a flying race that can't actually fly feels lame.

I like the compromise 4e came up with for the Pixie race - they can fly, but there's a 'ground-effect' factor, limiting them to no more than 5 or 10 feet off the ground for sustained flight.

Giving them that at 1st level, and allowing an upgrade to full flight later, would work reasonably well.

urLordy

First Post
I think you're definitely on to something in the collective unconscious, here. Absolutely true.
Thanks for helping to gather some evidence! :)

I think I've fine-tuned the theory. The mentality/character of a creature is unconciously associated with the head.

How many times have people presumed things about others based on some facial look or expression?

Drider: scary spider with the intelligence of a human.

Minotaur: the aggressiveness and intelligence of a bull.

Birdman: Well, my first instinct is birdbrain

I think a crow-headed kenku is an exception to general rule of thumb. Crow-headed kenku might earn more respect because crows are quite intelligent in the animal kingdom plus a kenku's black beady eyes seem to stare right into your soul.

S

Sunseeker

I dunno, I'm a fairly good fan of minotaur. I think my beef with animal people is just that they don't fit universally into the lore the way "normal" human variants do, without overlapping on established turf.

----

As for the ability to fly, even at low levels, it doesn't really bother me. Flying lets you bypass some simple terrain hazards, it's fairly useless in a dungeon crawl, and if it's abused then you(as DM) just hit back with flying baddies. Plus if your body is harpy-style(wings for arms) you may be unable to perform any useful combat while flying. I mean a Erinyes/Fury is only a CR8 I think, and "flying" is the least concerning aspect of them.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Dwimmerlied

First Post
It's a bit radical, but I'd prefer to drastically overhaul the creature. Turn them into quadrupeds and turn them into a bestial hunter of the Underdark; a predatory bird that evolved away from wings at some distant point in the past... for a good mental image, thing something like a griffon, but without the lion parts; just bird parts and razor sharp talons on each leg and a vicious beak made for ripping through flesh. Alternatively, I'd like to see the same idea I just mentioned, but make them quadrupeds who also have the capability of walking upright; in a manner similar to a bear...

Awesome! We can call them something like eagle-bear or, birdbear, or bear-owl.

:D

Nymrohd

First Post
In a related story, I don't think I've seen a female aarakocra depicted. Does it have massive jugs like every other D&D female?

Remove ads