Wanna help get me outta Traffic Ticket?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
It would be an ethical violation for me to give you advice on how to defend against a traffic citation because I am forbidden by policy to give "legal' advice.

I can address some of the statements made in this thread though. DISCLAIMER: Every jurisdiction is different. Laws and procedures vary wildly from state to state.

Balgus said:
I ask him for proof that i was speeding and he could not show me (radar gun, readout, nothing)

Almost every agency I am familiar with has a policy against taking a driver back to the cruiser to show them the RADAR unit. This is an "officer safety" policy designed to limit exposure to the patrol cruiser and the guns inside. Of the agencies that do show the RADAR, most of them are the same ones who take the driver back to the front seat of the cruiser to write the citation. When the officer goes to court on the citation they will be required to testify under oath as to the reading on the RADAR display. If a long time has passed between the citation date and the court date, the officer will almost always refer to his copy of the ticket to tell the court what the speed was. Citations are considered court documents in many jurisdictions and falsifying one would likely mean the end of a career. Many cruisers have the RADAR tied in to the dash cam, so supervisors can check the speed listed on the recording on those units. I have heard of jurisdictions that use RADAR units with a hard copy printer, but I have never in 12 years as an officer met anyone from a jurisdiction that requires them. Even posting queries on law enforcement message boards I haven't run across any officer who has even seen one.

Umbran said:
Rare is the court system that has the extra space on the calendar to take the time to hear traffic tickets multiple times. They really do have better things to do with their time. If the cop doesn't show up, and you do, the judge will usually dismiss. Of course, if the cop does show up, then you do have ot defend, so you need to be prepared.

This is true depending on the jurisdiction and the judge. In my (small) jurisdiction, the judges are very concerned that every citizen gets every chance to have their case heard to the extent that the citizen desires. I have been to court three times on the same speeding ticket before. In my area, if an officer is subpoenaed to court they are required to be there unless they have made arrangements with the prosecutor to continue the case. In my system the judge allows both the defense and the prosecution two continuances if cause is given. (usually that the officer is in training or out of state) If we don't show up for court after having been subpoenaed, then we get a "show cause" order served on us and we have to go to court and explain to the judge why we didn't show. Then we are punished administratively.(written reprimand, suspension, or termination for multiple offenses.)

Torm said:
I would highly recommend seeing if you can speak to your assigned judge ahead of time. Once in court in front of everybody, a lot of judges like to play hardball to make a good "we don't stand for that sort of thing here" sort of show. (In some places, judges are elected officials and this is even worse.) But in private they can be much more reasonable.

I can't speak to the judge's motives in how they behave on the bench, but there is so much truth about the court system in general in this statement that I had to comment. All of the judges in our jurisdiction are elected. In a small jurisdiction like mine (pop. ~17,000) that means that the judge knows many of the people that end up in court on minor traffic violations. The way it works here, and in many places, is that the defendant can speak to the prosecutor before court and tell them the situation from their point of view. Usually the prosecutor will offer an amended charge in exchange for a plea. Our prosecutor usually offers to drop the speed, or adjust the speed zone in order to keep you from getting any points. (in the OP's case, our prosecutor would probably offer to drop the speed to whatever the OP said he was driving) If you plead, the judge doesn't have to worry about ruling on any acquaintances, and the docket goes by very quickly.

I will try to post later to answer any questions that I can, but I just now got called in to 2nd shift for overtime so I have to get into uniform and get to work. :\

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lhorgrim said:
Our prosecutor usually offers to drop the speed, or adjust the speed zone in order to keep you from getting any points.

But if the prosecutor drops the speed, doesn't that mean that the higher speed noted on the citation is falsification of court documents?

-Hyp.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
But if the prosecutor drops the speed, doesn't that mean that the higher speed noted on the citation is falsification of court documents?

I think what he meant is that the charge is reduced, in exchange for a guilty plea. Kinda like what I described my experience as above.

judith brison

First Post
Balgus said:
I was driing over the grapevine in California (From Socal to Central Cal) and was driving 75-80 ish (speed limit 70 but no one drives less than 80)

Cop on the other side of the freeway makesa fatty u-turn and pulls me over. He writes up a ticket for 95 mph. I ask him for proof that i was speeding and he could not show me (radar gun, readout, nothing)

So I am planning on contesting it - but dont really know how. Any ideas?

Thanks a bunch.

Edit : this is Kern county - the place where everyone gets a ticket...
Yeah you get an attorney that knows that area and judges to represent you. Find out if this officer or other officers have won their cases or how many were thrown out of the court. Also making a deal to settle out of court.

Judith Ann Brison

Balgus

First Post
Thanks a bunch guys.

I admit that I was peeding and I was planning on coming in saying as much. I am sure they are smart enough to catch a lie - so there is no reason for me to. I am expecting themn to reduce the fine, but hopefully, I was hoping that he wont show. So, that is my plan.

Thanks a bunch

Wycen

Explorer
While I can't offer any advice I can say I will be rooting for you. I got a ticket going the opposite direction in the grapevine 2 years ago while driving to my grandfather's funeral. I live in the SF Bay Area so wasn't going to do anything except pay it.

(Actually I tried to not even do that since I noticed when I went to write the check that my name was spell incorrectly but the collection agency convinced or badgered me into thinking that wasn't sufficient to avoid the penalty).

Good luck!

Lhorgrim

Explorer
LightPhoenix said:
I think what he meant is that the charge is reduced, in exchange for a guilty plea. Kinda like what I described my experience as above.

Yes. The prosecutor can amend the charge to a lesser offense at his discretion in most cases. That doesn't mean that he thinks the citation is incorrect, it is just a function of the court system to allow for the faster resolution of cases.

Most cases are concluded with plea agreements. I get subpoenaed to court an average of once per week, but I have only had to take the stand to testify about three times in over two years! The prosecutor usually meets with the defendants before court and discusses the case with them (or their attorney). He then comes to the law library where the officers wait, and he tells us the case will be pleaded out and we can leave.

Balgus

First Post
Wycen said:
While I can't offer any advice I can say I will be rooting for you. I got a ticket going the opposite direction in the grapevine 2 years ago while driving to my grandfather's funeral. I live in the SF Bay Area so wasn't going to do anything except pay it.

(Actually I tried to not even do that since I noticed when I went to write the check that my name was spell incorrectly but the collection agency convinced or badgered me into thinking that wasn't sufficient to avoid the penalty).

Good luck!
Thanks. I actually got another Ticket coming South rom San Jose to LA last year. Same deal - I was following trafic going 80 and got pulled over and got a 95 mph speeding ticket. Since I lived so far away, there was no reason to drive 4 hours and fight a ticket that was $280. I paid and went to trafic school and got the point taken away.
This time, I live about an hour away, so I wanna fight it. One for insurance reasons,a nd 2 - just to know the process. I like to go through it just to see how the process works... I feel like its a fight - you never want to get into one, but eventually you want to know how it feels ust to know how it feels... call me crazy - but i get curious sometimes.

IcyCool

First Post
Balgus said:
Thanks. I actually got another Ticket coming South rom San Jose to LA last year. Same deal - I was following trafic going 80 and got pulled over and got a 95 mph speeding ticket.

You might want to have your speedometer checked. You could be doing 95 while it only shows 80.

(And you might want to think about driving the speed limit too. ;))

Balgus

First Post
IcyCool said:
You might want to have your speedometer checked. You could be doing 95 while it only shows 80.

(And you might want to think about driving the speed limit too. ;))
Its not the speedo - i was driving a difefrent car then.

And driving 70 for 7 hours..... i dont think I can do that. Especially when there is no one in front and no one behind.. except the cop... :p

Remove ads