Want A Paid Job As A Professional GM?

Because it you do, and you live near Alton, Hampshire, Asmodee UK is hiring! AsmodeeLive is their Twtch channel, and they are looking for GMs to run online streamed games on Thursday evenings. It's not full-time (in fact it's a zero-hour contract); and there's no mention of the pay rate. Here's a quick look at the job ad! We’re looking for people who are comfortable in front of the camera...

Because it you do, and you live near Alton, Hampshire, Asmodee UK is hiring! AsmodeeLive is their Twtch channel, and they are looking for GMs to run online streamed games on Thursday evenings. It's not full-time (in fact it's a zero-hour contract); and there's no mention of the pay rate. Here's a quick look at the job ad!

74477228_736749986794522_7071908805302288384_o.png

We’re looking for people who are comfortable in front of the camera. Knowledge and experience running a roleplaying game are essential for this role.
Successful candidates will be passionate about playing games, be up for being a bit silly, and be confident being themselves in front of the camera. Applicants should be willing to be flexible within their campaigns.
AsmodeeLive are looking to create a team of GM talent to call upon. Successful applicants will be added to a team of potential GMs. When chosen for a live series, the GM will be:
  • Responsible for prepping and setting up the campaign.
  • Running a roleplaying game in a ‘rules-light’ capacity, live on Twitch and YouTube.
  • GMing alongside the Twitch and YouTube audience. For our RPG series we offer options to the viewers, so that they can influence the campaign and play the role of GM. We suggest you watch our ‘Of Dice and Pen’ series on YouTube for an example of this.
  • Flexible within the campaign, and willing to play with adventurers who are notorious for going ‘off piste’.
  • Engaging with a live audience (on Twitch and YouTube).
  • Focusing on creating a fun experience as well as playing the game.

Von Ether

Legend
Please note that this is not a full-time role; successful applicants will be added to a zero-hours contract or hired on a freelance basis.
Emphasis theirs

Sounds like this might be dangerously close to the sort of conditions that major league cheerleaders (in America) are in.

i.e., geeksplotaion sort of work where a company banks off the employee's enthusiasm for the job (dancing, running RPGs. etc.) to offer even less wages than if they would if they trying to hire a part-timer or temp.

I am also guessing that for many being a paid GM is what's called an irrational actor's market. People will be motivated put up with more (and get paid less) than they ordinarily would because they are overly excited to just get paid to do something they enjoy (and maybe some recognition and validation for it beyond their local circles.) That phrase comes from the publishing industry since many fledgling authors are willing to agree to meager deals just to get their book on the shelf as compared to experienced writers who know to stand firm against certain contract clauses and such.

I hope to be wrong, but if I was applying, I'd keep my eyes peeled. Sadly, that means they'd probably eventually let me go because there'd be a long line of overeager hopefuls behind me.

Last edited:

ShinyToyGuns

Villager
[...]
Sounds like this might be dangerously close to the sort of conditions that major league cheerleaders (in America) are in.
[...]

A "zero-hours contract" is a form of UK employment contract not entirely unlike the majority of US part-time workers as far as I know. In other words, as in most US states, nearly devoid of benefits and rights compared to a typical part-time jobs for adults in Europe, and critically no guaranteed minimum hours per week, etc.

I don't live in the UK anymore and only worked there full-time, so I could entirely wrong.

Von Ether

Legend
A "zero-hours contract" is a form of UK employment contract not entirely unlike the majority of US part-time workers as far as I know. In other words, as in most US states, nearly devoid of benefits and rights compared to a typical part-time jobs for adults in Europe, and critically no guaranteed minimum hours per week, etc.

I don't live in the UK anymore and only worked there full-time, so I could entirely wrong.
So straight up temping then. Better, but something to still keep on eye on.

At least it didn't come with the old "temp to possibly full-time" bait. I've heard of that happening to people but never anyone I knew.

Successful applicants will be added to a team of potential GMs. When chosen for a live series, the GM will be …
I prefer doing this on a strictly amateur basis, with creative freedom. I'm certain this would pay a lot less than my day job, and the idea of marketing people making "suggestions" about GMing style is horrifying.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads