Want info on Hell and devils prior to 2e meddling.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Did they put out any kinds of sourcebooks with the 1e setup of demons & devils? I don't much care for the setup in 2e Guide to Hell and 3e Manual of the Planes. I don't have Asmodeus as an ubergod or anything more than the most powerful of the devil race. This whole bloodwar stuff and all the planescape influenced stuff isn't what I'm looking for. Any help?

Henry

Autoexreginated
The two most important resources on this are the 1st edition Monster Manual, and the Series of articles by Ed Greenwood (Circa Dragon #101, I believe). That was the most concise "hellish" information I believe 1E ever published, other than the Original Manual of the Planes, which had very little.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
It's part of the "1st Edition feel".

You make it all up on your own.

The MM had some little info on which of the archdevils controlled which layers, and a bit of which devil types would appear on which layer.

If you want additional information, read Dante's "The Inferno".

Lazybones

Adventurer
Judges' Guild put out a D&D adventure called "Inferno" way back in the mid-80s that was based on Dante's story. Very thematic (and sort of weird in places)... probably impossible to find these days though.

Creature Catalog (hosted on this site) has a lot of 3e conversions of unique 1e diabolical/demonic bad guys.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Henry said:
The two most important resources on this are the 1st edition Monster Manual, and the Series of articles by Ed Greenwood (Circa Dragon #101, I believe). That was the most concise "hellish" information I believe 1E ever published, other than the Original Manual of the Planes, which had very little.

I'm going to have to get that compilation of all the dragon articles on CD-ROM.

Hard8Staff

First Post
Try the HOBs

You might try reading the Hacklopedia of Beasts entries (HOB 6 and 7) for more 1e-like info on devils, demodands, demons, etc. (the whole group are called Nefarians or Nefarions depending on which lower plane you hail from).

Ask a HackMaster player over here:

http://pub18.ezboard.com/fhmpafrm4

Dave

trentonjoe

Explorer
Henry said:

Those articles were great. They described what the nine planes of hell were like and who lived on them. They were in two Dragon Magazines. I think 76 and 77.

I think Dragon 110 had an index of the first hundred magazines or so.

The more I think about the more I am sure my issue numbers are off but they were between 75-100. I am almost positive.

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
The stuff by ed is by far the best out there as far as depth. Running a close second and following up on it is the stuff pramas did in guide to hell.
as a side note i believe ed also wrote some articles on hades in dragon as well.

Paragon

Psion

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
Did they put out any kinds of sourcebooks with the 1e setup of demons & devils? I don't much care for the setup in 2e Guide to Hell and 3e Manual of the Planes.

Actually, the manual of the planes doesn't have Asmodeus as an over deity. (I agree that Guide to Hell's treatment of Asmodeus was lame.) In fact, they leave the hells pretty cryptic (and flexible.)

The pre-guide to hell planescape planes of law supplement (available online at WotC's website) is a pretty good resource, though I will "me too" Ed's articles, as well as the 1e MM.

Remove ads