• Welcome to this new upgrade of the site. We are now on a totally different software platform. Many things will be different, and bugs are expected. Certain areas (like downloads and reviews) will take longer to import. As always, please use the Meta Forum for site queries or bug reports. Note that we (the mods and admins) are also learning the new software.
  • The RSS feed for the news page has changed. Use this link. The old one displays the forums, not the news.

Want to be an LPF DM? Post here!

perrinmiller

Villager
Living Pathfinder has been running strong for a few years now. Mainly because we have dedicated people that have stuck with it. New members create characters and eventually get them into play if they are patient enough. In the meantime there is free role-playing that can be done in the Dunn Wright Inn while the wait.

We have dedicated Judges that approve character sheets and offer build advice. They ride shotgun on DMs running adventures to provide that experienced mentorship some DMs need and settle any disputes that unfortunately can come up on rare occasions.

However, in order to continue growing, we need more DMs to accommodate the players. In short, we need YOU! :)

Here is the link for Submitting an Adventure Proposal. There is PMiller's DM Workshop Series thread stickied with a wealth of information and advice as well.

There are benefits. You can earn DMC to put towards a 3rd character to play in LPF or apply them to leveling up your characters

If you an experienced PbP DM, then you are all set. You can start a proposal and one of the Judges can work with you and approve it.

But, what if you are not experienced? Not a problem, we can help you. :)
Judges approve adventures, but they also have some pre-made ones ready to use. Or they can work with you to come up with a home-made one quickly. You can start small and run a single encounter one-shot as well, the perfect way to get the hang of things.

If you are interested in DMing, just post here and start discussing with us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aura

Villager
Coincidentally, I was just thinking about this last night. Of course, it's more long-range thinking, I am presently working on just being a good player.

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
You set your pace for the games you run, but you should make your expectations clear in the first IC post for the game. The games here have historically run pretty fast (with the exception of my own :.-() with a major GM update or progression to a new combat round every day to three days. A big part of that depends on the players' posting rate as well, which you can encourage as the GM to be faster or slower. More players means a slightly slower game.

I've been in a few games that ran two or three combat rounds a day, generally one encounter every other day. Others have taken a month for an encounter, running a round a week or so.

I tend to check my games two or three times a day, and try to post something at least every other day. If RL is getting in the way of that I try to remember to put up an OOC post to let the players know.

I've always wanted to try GMing, but it may be a bit too late for the moment, since I'm starting my first year of college in a few weeks. :/

elecgraystone

Villager
I'd like to jump into the DM ring at some point, but I think it'd be best is I play here a bit before I jump in. I want to get a feel for the playstyle here first. I've found that my playstyle seems to differ a bit when I tried to make up a character so I want to fit in first. I have a few adventure ideas already, so by the time I'm ready, they should be fully formed.

That said, if some busy work needs done like rolling monsters, checking books or the like let me know. I don't mind lending a hand.

perrinmiller

Villager
I'd like to jump into the DM ring at some point, but I think it'd be best is I play here a bit before I jump in. I want to get a feel for the playstyle here first. I've found that my playstyle seems to differ a bit when I tried to make up a character so I want to fit in first. I have a few adventure ideas already, so by the time I'm ready, they should be fully formed.

That said, if some busy work needs done like rolling monsters, checking books or the like let me know. I don't mind lending a hand.
We'll be here when you are ready. Meantime, take a look at how someone of us run an adventure and you will get an idea. No need worrying about spoilers, we don't repeat adventures.

Systole

Community Supporter
I may be jumping the gun a bit, but the judges are kicking around a way to do very short adventures that run a month or less, with something 1-3 encounters. If people would be more interested in starting off with one of those, we'd be glad to know.

elecgraystone

Villager
We'll be here when you are ready. Meantime, take a look at how someone of us run an adventure and you will get an idea. No need worrying about spoilers, we don't repeat adventures.
Reading back adventures is on my to-do list. I hope between that and playing a bit I'll be ready.

To Sysole: A short mini adventure would be perfect to get my feet wet, Since I've been out of the roleplaying game for a few years (so I'm sure I'm a bit rusty). When I'm ready, I'd be interested in doing one or two of those before jumping into the adventure I've got in my head. :p

Last edited:

perrinmiller

Villager
Dealing with maps is really scary for some, but it doesn't have to be. What sort of skills do you have with Excel or picture manipulation?

Grayn

Villager
Now that some of my PC campaigns are wrapping up, I think its time to jump into GM-ing pool. What's the rules governing pre-made adventures, such as some of the shorter PFS campaigns or 3rd party, converted campaigns?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The same as for self-created ones - write up a plot synopsis and an encounter list with expected rewards and submit. A judge will review it, make suggestions if felt necessary, and then "ride along."

The rewards doled out in published adventures pretty much always require tweaking to keep up with TGP, and the encounters will often fall behind expected CR levels by the later stages of the adventure due to TXP (especially if it's a long adventure).

Grayn

Villager
Alright-y, I will get started hammering out something appropriately challenging for our hardy adventures!

perrinmiller

Villager
Khisanth the Ancient said:
Excel, decent, pictures, maybe not so much though I do have GIMP.
Well, a Google Doc Spreadsheet tactical grid is perfectly functional and is pretty easy to do.

I am not a fan of GIMP unless you already know what you are doing with it. If you have Microsoft Office, then you already have a good tool that is easy to use. Microsoft Office Picture Manager is much easier for taking any image to crop and resize. You can take any screenshot and <alt><Print Scrn> to past a new image and then crop, resize, and convert to jpeg.

If you already have maps from a published module, then sometimes it is easier to use something like MapTools. Drop the Map Image into it, resize it to make the grids match up. Then add tokens and you can move things around on the map and take screen shots to post them up.

If you have seen my Workshop (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?315221-PMiller-s-DM-Workshop-Series&p=5750548&viewfull=1#post5750548), there is a post dedicated to this and it has the links for MapTools and another easy to use free picture editor if you don't have MS Picture Manager.

Some people get turned off with MapTools upon seeing it the first time, but it is not as complicated as it looks. Playing with someone else's cmpgn file helps a lot and there a number of 5 minute on-line tutorial videos too.

The Excel/Google Docs thing sounds good, I'll play around with that...

So, if I wanted to get my feet wet by doing a mini-adventure with just a couple encounters, how would I start?

perrinmiller

Villager
Khisanth the Ancient said:
The Excel/Google Docs thing sounds good, I'll play around with that...

So, if I wanted to get my feet wet by doing a mini-adventure with just a couple encounters, how would I start?
First would be to begin with a proposal in Google Docs. You can use Example Proposal as a basic template to work with.

There is a separate thread that discusses upcoming adventures, and it has been stated that we need something for 1st levels, 3rds, 8ths, and 11ths. I believe someone else is launching something for the 1st levels already, so that leaves you a few different choices for what levels you can target to fill the need.

If you want help through each step of the process, a Judge can work with you.

Here is an Google Doc Spread sheet to play with:
Spreadsheet Tactical Grid

Another way of doing it is this with a Google Doc as a picture and you can move tokens around.
Google Doc Drawing
To play with that one, make a copy of it since I only shared it for viewing.

Satin Knights

Villager
Grayn's adventure that I approved yesterday is for third level characters. I am going to be taking the 11ths probably about the 15th of September or so, as I have to finish up the current adventure one of the prospects is in at the moment. If choosing between 1st and 8th, I would suggest the first level unless you are really ambitious. The work load of running a game is about the same, but the balancing act of choosing creatures that are challenging without slaughtering the party is more difficult. But, there are/will be more 8th level characters waiting for a game.

So, you have two areas to pick from. An adventure for the beginning characters, or one for the old veterans that are around the 8th level.

jackslate45

Villager
I have a little more time than I used to. I can get something set up for the level 8's.

Who all is eligible? I want to read previous adventures during my lunch break.

Advertisement