Want to be an LPF DM? Post here!

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Dealing with maps is really scary for some, but it doesn't have to be. What sort of skills do you have with Excel or picture manipulation?

Grayn

First Post
Now that some of my PC campaigns are wrapping up, I think its time to jump into GM-ing pool. What's the rules governing pre-made adventures, such as some of the shorter PFS campaigns or 3rd party, converted campaigns?

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The same as for self-created ones - write up a plot synopsis and an encounter list with expected rewards and submit. A judge will review it, make suggestions if felt necessary, and then "ride along."

The rewards doled out in published adventures pretty much always require tweaking to keep up with TGP, and the encounters will often fall behind expected CR levels by the later stages of the adventure due to TXP (especially if it's a long adventure).

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Khisanth the Ancient said:
Excel, decent, pictures, maybe not so much though I do have GIMP.
Well, a Google Doc Spreadsheet tactical grid is perfectly functional and is pretty easy to do.

I am not a fan of GIMP unless you already know what you are doing with it. If you have Microsoft Office, then you already have a good tool that is easy to use. Microsoft Office Picture Manager is much easier for taking any image to crop and resize. You can take any screenshot and <alt><Print Scrn> to past a new image and then crop, resize, and convert to jpeg.

If you already have maps from a published module, then sometimes it is easier to use something like MapTools. Drop the Map Image into it, resize it to make the grids match up. Then add tokens and you can move things around on the map and take screen shots to post them up.

If you have seen my Workshop (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showth...kshop-Series&p=5750548&viewfull=1#post5750548), there is a post dedicated to this and it has the links for MapTools and another easy to use free picture editor if you don't have MS Picture Manager.

Some people get turned off with MapTools upon seeing it the first time, but it is not as complicated as it looks. Playing with someone else's cmpgn file helps a lot and there a number of 5 minute on-line tutorial videos too.

The Excel/Google Docs thing sounds good, I'll play around with that...

So, if I wanted to get my feet wet by doing a mini-adventure with just a couple encounters, how would I start?

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Khisanth the Ancient said:
The Excel/Google Docs thing sounds good, I'll play around with that...

So, if I wanted to get my feet wet by doing a mini-adventure with just a couple encounters, how would I start?
First would be to begin with a proposal in Google Docs. You can use Example Proposal as a basic template to work with.

There is a separate thread that discusses upcoming adventures, and it has been stated that we need something for 1st levels, 3rds, 8ths, and 11ths. I believe someone else is launching something for the 1st levels already, so that leaves you a few different choices for what levels you can target to fill the need.

If you want help through each step of the process, a Judge can work with you.

Here is an Google Doc Spread sheet to play with:
Spreadsheet Tactical Grid

Another way of doing it is this with a Google Doc as a picture and you can move tokens around.
Google Doc Drawing
To play with that one, make a copy of it since I only shared it for viewing.

Satin Knights

First Post
Grayn's adventure that I approved yesterday is for third level characters. I am going to be taking the 11ths probably about the 15th of September or so, as I have to finish up the current adventure one of the prospects is in at the moment. If choosing between 1st and 8th, I would suggest the first level unless you are really ambitious. The work load of running a game is about the same, but the balancing act of choosing creatures that are challenging without slaughtering the party is more difficult. But, there are/will be more 8th level characters waiting for a game.

So, you have two areas to pick from. An adventure for the beginning characters, or one for the old veterans that are around the 8th level.

jackslate45

First Post
I have a little more time than I used to. I can get something set up for the level 8's.

Who all is eligible? I want to read previous adventures during my lunch break.

Remove ads