Want To Earn $50 Scanning Classic D&D Books?

The article title sounds like a spam email, but it's a real thing. DTRPG, which runs D&D Classics (now folded into the DM's Guild online store) is looking for help building its digital library of old D&D modules. To that end, the company is offering a $50 fee to anyone who scans a classic title they own. It needs to be high quality and meet some specifications, of course. There's a list of few hundred titles they're currently looking for.

The article title sounds like a spam email, but it's a real thing. DTRPG, which runs D&D Classics (now folded into the DM's Guild online store) is looking for help building its digital library of old D&D modules. To that end, the company is offering a $50 fee to anyone who scans a classic title they own. It needs to be high quality and meet some specifications, of course. There's a list of few hundred titles they're currently looking for.

kTK1YgsNL7Sj9VGcp7SMcQ-DMsGuild-Logo.png

Here's the list/spreadsheet of titles they are seeking; it will be updated with titles they've received scans for ("Pending") and those which have been accepted ("Submitted"). There are tabs for OD&D, 1E, 2E, Dragonlance Fifth Age, 3E, and 3.5. If you have one of these titles and want to send in a scan you need to fill out this form.

The $50 is added as credit to your DTRPG account, and you can cash it out via PayPal or you can spend it in store.

More info? Click here.

The main problem is that the prescribed scanning process involves you destroying your book (and that doesn't even guarantee they'll accept it). DTRPG asks you to cut off the spine and use a sheet-fed scanner. Given the classic status of older titles, the book itself may be worth more than $50 to you. That said, a lot of them can be found on eBay for reasonable prices, so it may be worth it. I, personally, am incapable of destroying, selling, or losing a book, but that's just me.

donbaloo

First Post
I'm holding off for now. I've submitted 3 scans so far and haven't received any notifications and I haven't seen the spreadsheet update in the couple of days I've been checking. There's no way of knowing how many scans are waiting to be checked at this point and I'm not keen on committing more time and damage to my books until I have at least a reasonable expectation that its not in vain. Maybe they're just swamped. Neat project though!

Wallraven

Explorer
I'm not prepared to cut up any books on the off chance I'll get paid for it.
I do have the Core Rules CD-ROMs, but not the boxes anymore, so I'm hoping they just want the content...

donbaloo

First Post
I'm curious to know that as well. Some of my submissions are a week old now, I haven't heard anything and the spreadsheet hasn't reflected them. Can't get a response via the provided email either. Has anyone heard anything?

oreofox

Explorer
I submitted an item to them last week as well. The spreadsheet hasn't been updated with a "Pending" on that item, nor have I gotten a response or anything. Either they are really swamped, or something else. Would be nice to get some update.

donbaloo

First Post
Just got a reply to an email I sent last week saying they had a lot of stuff coming in and had gotten a slow start on it. So we should start hearing some notifications and see the spreadsheet updating soon.

donbaloo

First Post
Well here I am again. Does anyone know of any centralized location where a discussion of this project is happening? This is the only place I've seen on the matter. Anyway, I'm seeing the spreadsheet slowly update but still not hearing any notifications from folks running it. Has anyone here received any bounty or heard anything directly from them?

Wallraven

Explorer
Well here I am again. Does anyone know of any centralized location where a discussion of this project is happening? This is the only place I've seen on the matter. Anyway, I'm seeing the spreadsheet slowly update but still not hearing any notifications from folks running it. Has anyone here received any bounty or heard anything directly from them?

Nope. I've been too slow.

I had the CDROMs they wanted. Ripped ISOs of them, went to fill in the form, looked up the spreadsheet... they're not listed anymore.

The Monstrous Compendiums were listed. Something easy to scan that doesn't require mangling any books. Checked which ones I had at home against which ones they're after, thinking I'll take them to work & run them through the sheet-feeder... they're not listed anymore.

I think I still have some of the items they're looking for, but they'll require either ruining a book or a long laborious process of scanning each page... and someone else may beat me to it...

Remove ads

Remove ads