Want To Earn $50 Scanning Classic D&D Books?

The article title sounds like a spam email, but it's a real thing. DTRPG, which runs D&D Classics (now folded into the DM's Guild online store) is looking for help building its digital library of old D&D modules. To that end, the company is offering a $50 fee to anyone who scans a classic title they own. It needs to be high quality and meet some specifications, of course. There's a list of few hundred titles they're currently looking for.

The article title sounds like a spam email, but it's a real thing. DTRPG, which runs D&D Classics (now folded into the DM's Guild online store) is looking for help building its digital library of old D&D modules. To that end, the company is offering a $50 fee to anyone who scans a classic title they own. It needs to be high quality and meet some specifications, of course. There's a list of few hundred titles they're currently looking for.

kTK1YgsNL7Sj9VGcp7SMcQ-DMsGuild-Logo.png

Here's the list/spreadsheet of titles they are seeking; it will be updated with titles they've received scans for ("Pending") and those which have been accepted ("Submitted"). There are tabs for OD&D, 1E, 2E, Dragonlance Fifth Age, 3E, and 3.5. If you have one of these titles and want to send in a scan you need to fill out this form.

The $50 is added as credit to your DTRPG account, and you can cash it out via PayPal or you can spend it in store.

More info? Click here.

The main problem is that the prescribed scanning process involves you destroying your book (and that doesn't even guarantee they'll accept it). DTRPG asks you to cut off the spine and use a sheet-fed scanner. Given the classic status of older titles, the book itself may be worth more than $50 to you. That said, a lot of them can be found on eBay for reasonable prices, so it may be worth it. I, personally, am incapable of destroying, selling, or losing a book, but that's just me.

dhunton

Explorer
Just posting this out there in a bunch of places... did ANYONE get paid? Please feel free to msg me privately if you'd rather not post publicly.

The previous link to the form to submit files now leads to a page that says:

Thank you for your interest in DriveThruRPG's D&D Scanning Project.
At this time we are no longer accepting scans or submissions.

donbaloo

First Post
I noticed that as well but have no idea. I feel like the whole project has been cloaked in darkness and they could have really benefitted from a central location with very simple and brief daily announcements. I still have no clue whether my submissions from a couple weeks ago were of any benefit whatsoever. Granted, there was no promise of communication or anything but still, I'd like to have had _some_ feedback for the 12 hours and damaged materials I spent on it.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Last I heard was several days ago from someone involved in the process - there are hundreds of emails coming in, many of the early scans haven't been the right format, and quite a few are even pirated ones available on torrent sites. Needless to say, it's taking a bit to slog through.

Remove ads

Remove ads