• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Want to smell like an orc... or a paladin...

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Slashdot picked this up, too. I especially liked this comment by one of the posters over there:
Dwarf: Smells strongly of BO, smoke, and earth
Elf: Smells of BO poorly covered with essential oils
Half-Elf: More BO, less essential oils.
Halfling: BO, but at half strength, with a hint of bacon and eggs.
Orc: 8 times the BO standard, plus the stench of rotten breath.
Cleric: BO covered with incense
Fighter: BO, double strength
Mage: Smells like Brylcreme. Mages can make BO disappear but are clearly at a loss as to what to do with their hair.

Wik

First Post
Sometimes, people complain about the economy. And then I just have to point to products like this to remind those people that, even in rough economic times, we still have more money than we'll ever really need. :)

This has got to be one of the most bizarre ideas I've ever seen, but hey, who am I to judge? I kind of want to game smelling like a neutral elf. I have no idea why.

Dioltach

Legend
NEUTRAL
A flawless skin musk.

LAWFUL
Rigid oak, blue chamomile, rhubarb, and fig leaf.

CHAOTIC
A whirling mélange of multicolored musks with wasabi, rooibos, heliotrope, and mastic.

GOOD
Shimmering celestial musk with vanilla, white honey, acacia, and sugar cane.
.roll the dice.

EVIL
Smouldering opium tar, tobacco absolute, green tea, black plum, kush, ambergris accord, ambrette seed, and costus root.

So Detect Alignment could now be a scent-based skill?

Rhun

First Post
I'm not sure I'd want to buy any of these without sampling them first...but they certainly sounds interesting.

MarkB

Legend
ELF
Pale golden musk, honeycomb, amber, parma violet, hawthorne bark, aspen leaf, forest lily, life everlasting, white moss, and a hint of wild berry.

Yeah, I'll pass on all the other stuff. How much for a bottle of just that ingredient?

JustKim

First Post
Today I opened Paladin. At first, it smelled to me like any number of men's colognes. Once I gave it time to settle, it did give two impressions. One impression is of strength and solidarity, and the other is of the traditional oils and subdued alcohols of Christian churches and Jewish temples. That impression might be stronger for someone who was not raised Buddhist, and if you're looking for a hint of Buddhism or Islam I'm afraid this particular scent doesn't translate.

It's a pleasant smell and it isn't powerful, so it teases you to find the source. I believe it's marketed as unisex, which in this case is not a mixture of gender neutral scents, but an interesting contradiction. The bourbon vanilla is a common ingredient in women's perfumes and the leather is overwhelmingly found in men's colognes. I would say that the other ingredients soften those, but it still detects as masculine to my nose. Masculine with a gentler undertone, or feminine beneath a rugged exterior. Either way it evokes a paladin (though Christian), it's pleasing to the nose, and it entices. It seems very well done.

I'll open another one soon and let you know what I think.

JustKim

First Post
I gave Rogue a try today. One of the comments made about Rogue is that it must smell like a violin case, since the main ingredients are leather and rosin. I'm pleased to say that it doesn't smell like anything so artificial as a violin case. It's not that kind of leather nor rosin. What it does smell like is a Spanish leather, softened by a sweet hemp and slight floral scent. If this were worn by a rogue, it would be the type of dashing thief to wear a mask and leave a calling card.

The leather in this fragrance is fairly strong, likely the strongest leather of the bunch. It takes a while for the leather scent to settle and the sweetness to soften it. But I discovered that the sweet hemp and rosin endures much longer than the leather, and find that I prefer the scent after the leather has faded. The leather fades after an hour or so, and the sweetness endures for an entire day on my skin.

This is a fitting scent for a romantic outlaw, which may not suit your particular idea of a rogue. I know it challenged me a bit. It's a pleasant enough smell, but wasn't particularly intriguing to my nose. It didn't evoke a physical reaction the way Paladin did and I could take or leave this one. Given the price point, I'm not sure I can recommend this one except as a novelty.

I'll try this one again at a later date with Elf and see how the concept of layering these fragrances holds up with that combination.

ArghMark

First Post
Look to your character sheet. Look back to me. Look to your character sheet. Look back to me.

Orc. The orc your orc could smell like.

JustKim

First Post
I've been trying Mage now. As I suspected, it's a chemical smell. Not unwholesome, but not something I would anticipate in a fragrance. It could very well be one of the most unique scents in the line. When it comes to scents, unique and memorable are good qualities to have.

To illustrate how unique it is, this scent reminds me of an old sewing kit that my mother had, when I was a preschooler and she did alterations. There was a fabric ball filled with tiny beads, most likely resin, that was made to store needles. It was fragrant and I liked to just push needles into it. When I smell this I can clearly picture the sewing ball and its satin fabric. That was about 25 years ago.

Mage smells to me like resin, fragrant preservative, and dried herbs. It smells like a wizard's laboratory or a spell component pouch (thankfully, sans guano). It's mysterious and dangerous, in a way that suggests a world others are not privy to. It's a powerful and projecting scent, but on my skin it doesn't last very long at all. It begins to fade about an hour after drying, and two hours later it's all but gone, you would have to be intimately close to even detect it. You may have better luck putting this scent on a cotton ball or tissue or something.

Of the scents so far, Mage seems to be lacking something. I think it would benefit best from layering with a race or alignment fragrance, so I'm going to try this one again with a race fragrance at a later date. Unfortunately, I didn't pick up any of the alignment fragrances, none of them really grabbed me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads