D&D General War Mounts for the Different Fantasy Races/Monsters

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay okay I’m gonna answer twice because I got D&D answers and answers for my own game.

D&D

Wood Elves - Bears.

Gnomes - Giant Foxes (Forest) and Giant Badgers (Rock), and big mountain wolves (Homebrew Mountain Gnomes).

In another world they ride living construct birds.

Deep Gnomes - Giant sea bats (they tend to live near sea caves, and only need mounts when they leave their underground homes)

Hill Dwarves - Aurochs

Mountain Dwarves - Sheep, usually rams

Halfling - Dogs. They tend to breed very large dogs whose size relative to their own is equivalent to beefy horses compared to the average human, and generally friendly, independent, and intelligent. For description, look to wolfhounds, or in some places mastiffs, and temperament tends to be similar to Irish wolfhounds or to the friendlier herding dogs. What everyone knows about halfling dogs is, they are “friendly when stroked, fierce when provoked”, meaning they are gentle and friendly and more curious than territorial, but when provoked are truly terrifying, even to the big folk.

In one world I am working on, there is a war within living memory where something was taken from the Small Folk by a human kingdom, and the halflings and gnomes disappeared from human lands, and returned to their ancestral homes, and this was bad enough. But then, as winter thawed into spring, the Small Folk returned to the human lands. Tens of thousands of them mounted and armed for war. At ea h border they asked to be left to pass through the land to reach the nation that had sinned against them, and were denied, and that nation burned as a result. Nothing was looted, no captives taken, no civilians harmed if it could be avoided, but they would not be stopped until they were done.
When they finally reached the offending kingdom, they stormed the capital, the palace, and hanged the Prince from his own palace walls. And then they left, and when those who lived in human lands returned they did so carefully, and simply refused to speak of the war in any context.

Halflings and Gnomes of The Windhavens - giant coastal hawks

Orcs - horses.

Drow - The nocturnal desert Drow ride large desert cats (my wife wants it to be “weird fantasy lizards”)

Shadar-Kai - large corvid-like feathered avian dinosaurs that can move quickly upon the ground but are truly majestic and awesome in the sky

Eladrin - Griffon-like creatures

Dragonborn - wyverns and sometimes drakes

Kobolds - drakes

Goblins - wolves of various kinds. Worgs are wolves bred by goblins to be intelligent and loyal to goblin riders.

Goliaths - often don’t ride anything, but in lands with the right equine breed stock they might ride very strong large horses, or in other places might ride especially large bison or even trade with dwarves for aurochs mounts.

Firbolg - Giant arthropods

Everyone else either rides horses, or one of the above because the commingle with that species a lot.

Updating my previous answer for a specific setting I'm working on:

Humans ride horses. Planetouched horses are available, but not common and still just horses + magic.

Fey (elves, gnomes, goblinoids) ride just about anything, often bespoke mounts shaped by magic. Elves tend to prefer horses or various deer, gnomes pick animals they'd be around anyways like foxes, badgers, tanuki, and pigs. Goblinoids prefer more aggressive animals like wolves or pigs. Powerful fey will create flying mounts like pegasi or griffons because it's awesome. Centaurs don't use mounts.

Draconics (dragonborn and kolbolds) use big lizards/dinosaurs. Elites ride dragon-blooded versions thereof. Many of these were created to be mounts at the same time dragonborn and kolbolds were created. Dragonnewts (like planetouched but dragon) ride dragon-blooded horses they call Kirin.

Goliaths and giants rarely ride anything, though mammoths are commonly use as beasts of burden. A few will use magic to get something that can hold them up, but that's mostly a way to show off wealth.

Beastfolk ride a variety of beasts, mostly limited by what can hold them up. It is considered weird to ride your own species, but if the mount is intelligent there are advantages. Smaller folk use bird mounts whenever possible.

Dwarves, living almost entirely underground, don't use mounts. Except as a way to flaunt wealth, though palanquins are more popular for that.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Crossroads of The Nine Realms/Chevar

VidAlfar - spirit mounts. Can look like wooden or stone carvings of an animal

Myrkalfar - semi-nocturnal creatures resembling owl-based chocobo, knights often patrol their skies on great feathered avian beasts

Trolls - megafauna, when they bother with mounts. A sprinting troll is scary fast, and they can throw weapons and stones further on their feet. That said, charging megafauna with a fearsome forest or mountain troll atop it with long spear raised to strike…is not a pleasant thought.

Fir Bolg - same as trolls, but a little more methodical, breeding great deer and the like

Döragr - stone elementals, bears, rams

Gnomes- cats, or tech mounts.

Florensi (halflings) - goats, dogs, or ponies. Goats are better war mounts, while dogs are better running free beside them. War goats have armored helmets that bring the curving horns of the goat into a tapered blade, putting the power of a charging goat behind a pair of sharp blades.

Draconids - don’t need mounts once fully matured into lesser dragons. Many are in draconic form, and cannot take humanoid form until maturity, and often serve as mounts for the knights of Parth (main kingdom with draconids).

Puca - don’t need mounts, they travel by Crossroads and Goblin-Doors. They tend not to go to war, but when war comes to them they prefer to ride into battle in armored vehicles of strange design, or upon fearsome monsters that no other creature could possibly convince to act as a mount, such as Dread Wolves, Night Hags, or the strange demonic beings known as The Forgottwn, who haunt lonely roads and secret passageways. It’s said that the great wolf Fenrir once went into battle with a force of Puca on his back, and protected them as fiercely as he might his own cubs. Beings of nightmare that for some reason choose to protect, rather than prey upon, the lost children of the Nine Realms.

Fairies/Pixies/Sprites can fly, but often shrink down enough to fit in a hood or ouch of a companion, and nap while the companion travels. In battle they often ride into the fray on the backs of absurdly enlarged hummingbirds with lethal beaks, or ferocious armored corgis, foxes, owls, or forest cats. They might craft delicate but obsidian-sharp spurs for cat or owl mounts, or slender piercing unicorn horns on the helmet of a dog or cat mount.

Shifters - many don’t need mounts if it’s not unsafe to travel in animal form. When they do need mounts they just use horses.
In battle most of them take animal form, though some prefer to stay in humanoid form instead and fight with weapons, in which case they usually use horses or human vehicles, or in rare cases train and armor large animals like brown bears.

Vaettr - are spirits that have taken humanoid form. They might use mounts or vehicles, but they don’t need them, generally. In battle, they might awaken trees or create bodies of stone, or seap into the ground as water to rise up within enemy ranks.

Edit; forgot it’s about war mounts. Editing to account.

Last edited:

Mad_Jack

Legend
In the world I made up for my D23 project, I've got a group of aquatic ghoul "pirates" that have tamed and ride the giant 35-ft-long aquatic carrion crawlers in the sea near the campaign area...

Just for giggles, I think I'll add in some kind of giant riding on a roc up in the mountains...

Voadam

Legend
Just for giggles, I think I'll add in some kind of giant riding on a roc up in the mountains...
Going classic.

1e MM page 45 "Storm giants dwelling on cloud islands or mountain peaks will have 1 or 2 rocs (70%) which they will also employ as a riding animal or 1-4 griffons (30%). Those storm giants who dwell underwater will have 2-8 sea lions."

Mad_Jack

Legend
Going classic.

1e MM page 45 "Storm giants dwelling on cloud islands or mountain peaks will have 1 or 2 rocs (70%) which they will also employ as a riding animal or 1-4 griffons (30%). Those storm giants who dwell underwater will have 2-8 sea lions."

Lately I've seen a few copies of the old Grenadier 2532 Roc - The War Bird box set on EvilBuy, and I've been itching to do something D&D-ish with it to justify buying one, lol. :p I should have some appropriately-sized giants around here to do a conversion with...

Remove ads