War of the Burning Sky (updated 24th May)

Murasame said:
Add one more! ;)
Hi, glad you are enjoying it. The ratio of views to posts is sky high; I've got visions of literally hundreds of people reading the first couple of lines, then giving up in disgust.

The next session is tomorrow, I hope to post it Wednesday. In the meantime ....

Flashback (Jonathan Farrier)
Beneath the Free City of Gate Pass
Some time ago

No one knows how or why the man first discovered the Pool of Dreams, deep in the caverns beneath the city. Not even the man himself, for while it was a man who entered the pool, it was something else which emerged – something with no memory of its past existence.

The black-clad man moved from shadow to shadow, his booted feet making no sound on the rough cavern floor. The figure ahead, illuminated in the flickering torchlight – a sentry? a passer-by? – remained oblivious to his presence.

Instinctively the man’s hands dropped to the hilts of the two long, wickedly curved knives at his belt. His self-control almost allowed himself to smile at his lapse in concentration, then he selected instead the heavy cosh. Carefully, he identified the exact spot he needed, then struck out from the shadows. His victim collapsed to the floor.

No need to check for a pulse – the blow had struck home exactly as intended – but the man did so anyway. Never take any unnecessary short-cuts. The target was still alive. It was a risk, but killing him was a greater one.

The man continued on his way, moving like a ghost through the caverns, until he reached his destination. Ahead was a large, well lit cave, dominated by the pool at its centre. Some trick of the torch light, or possibly some phosphorescent fungus in its depths, gave the pool an odd blue sheen. A robed figure was sat in contemplation beside the pool, with his back to the entrance.

In fact, with his back directly opposite the exact centre of the entry passageway. The man appreciated the gesture, and in a gesture of his own made every effort to make no sound as he approached.

The robed figure turned as he got within twenty feet. “So?” he asked.

“Greetings,” replied the man. “Are you the one known as the Dreamcatcher?”

“My name is Vanguard. However, people have started calling me Dreamcatcher. Personally, I think Dream Chaser would be more appropriate, but one cannot chose one’s own nickname. And you are?”

“I have a number of aliases, and more than a few nicknames, but my mother called me Marten. I doubt she would recognise me these days.” In the brighter light, it could be seen that the whole left hand side of his face was badly scarred, and his left eye was missing. “My full name is Marten Larkins, and I share it with you so you will know how serious this conversation is.”

“What brings you here, into these caverns, Marten Larkins?”

“I heard a strange story, from an assassin called Sligo. He in turn heard it from a smooth skinned, youthful looking man who claimed to be called Hope. Apparently your pool can remove scars, make flesh whole and, most importantly, grant immortality. I wish to bathe in your pool.”

“And why should I let you? I choose my candidates carefully and, whilst I know nothing about you, I have an inkling that violence, rather than study, is your area of expertise.

“I appreciate that I may not be able to stop you. However, did Hope also happen to mention that those who bathe in the pool are reborn in mind as well as in body? As skilled as you may be now, you will lose all of this when you enter the pool, and it will take time for your new talents to develop. I may or may not be able to stop you now, but I will certainly be able to deal with you after you enter the pool.

“So, I repeat, why should I let you?”

Marten reached into his bag. “I did not come here empty handed. I have brought you a couple of gifts.” Carefully he pulled out two round objects, both of which seemed too large to fit in the bag. They were two severed heads, one of a fresh faced young man and the other of a scarred half orc.

“Sligo killed Hope in the end, after he had learned all he could from him, so your organisation is a man short. Later, I killed Sligo.”

“Was it necessary to decapitate the bodies?”

“Surely you’ve heard the expression ‘dead men tell tales’. Well, not without their heads they don’t.”

“And why did Sligo tell you this information?”

“Sligo was my partner. We shared everything, up until I decided the time was right to terminate our arrangement. Which brings me to my second point. I am not a nice man, to put it mildly. Once I’ve been in that pool, all my memories will be lost.” He fingered his eye socket absently. “All the bad experiences which have made me what I am will be washed away with them, and you can turn me into one of your peaceful scholars.”

“And if your previous, ah associates, should come looking for you, bringing chaos into my carefully built organisation?”

“None of them will recognise me without my scars. I got them a very long time ago. So, do we have a deal?”

“We have a deal.”

Vanguard, known as the Dreamcatcher, helped the figure out of the pool. The creature once known as Marten Larkins was no more. It was time for a new name.

“I thought we might call you Hope,” said the Dreamcatcher.

“No thanks,” replied his latest recruit. He thought for a moment. “I will be called Jonathan Farrier.”

Dreamcatcher snorted. “Why not just call yourself John Smith and be done with it?”

“Oh no, that wouldn’t be at all subtle.”

Dreamcatcher addressed the assembled scholars.

“I am very pleased with the progress you have all made in mastering the Power of Dreams. I flattered myself that it was due to my own teachings and example that you have been able to pick up techniques in mere weeks that it took me years to grasp.

“Thanks to my pride, it has taken me far too long to recognise the truth. The Power of Dreams is getting stronger. It is possible this is the result of all of us bathing in the pool, as if unlocking the power within us has attracted yet more power to us. Possibly there is some outside source, which may or may not have been awakened by our actions.

“Whatever the reason, my dreams of late have been filled with foreboding. I cannot escape the feeling that we are on the cusp of something major, and that it is strongly connected to the Power of Dreams.

“That is why I am asking you all to go forth into the world, and look for clues as to what is happening. I will contact you at regular intervals to see what you have to report.”

Jonathan Farrier, his mind awash with knowledge for which he lacked any kind of context, was delighted at this news.

Ooh. If I may risk mis-quoting Monte Cook, few things are better than hearing about how other gamers take your ideas and make them their own. I'm enjoying what I'm reading.

(The above is not a granting of permission for people to tell me about their characters. *grin*)

RangerWickett said:
Ooh. If I may risk mis-quoting Monte Cook, few things are better than hearing about how other gamers take your ideas and make them their own. I'm enjoying what I'm reading.
Glad to hear it.

I wouldn't blame you if you were thinking "That's not how its supposed to go. You idiots are ruining my life's work." :)

Scene 2 – Bounty Hunter Camp
January 4th, 6 am

Solsus carefully cuts his three companions’ bonds. Then he cuts a hole in the bandits’ supply tent, and liberates some weapons and equipment. Fortunately, the noise the bandits make preparing their breakfast covers any sound of his activities.

He then attempts to muddle the mind of the one guard, but the bounty hunter shrugs off the effect. The man has a puzzled look on his face, but doesn’t seem to realise what has just happened. Solsus then decides to adopt a different approach. He slaps the rump of one of the bandits’ horses. The horse jumps, and vocalises its outrage.

This distracts the bounty hunters, and Caryk takes the opportunity to discard his severed bonds, leap to his feet and attack. This is the signal for Agatha to appear at the top of the cliff and fire a blast of eldritch energy at one of the guards.

A night spent tied up is not the ideal preparation for a morning’s battle. However, Jonathan Farrier has recovered some of his mental energy, and uses it to cloak himself in what appears to be black, glowing armour.

Gribron too has a trick up his sleeve. He utters a droning incantation, and attracts the attention of 3 of the bounty hunters. They seem fascinated by his actions, and he takes the opportunity to suggest everything is getting scary, and they’d be better lie down until the danger has passed. Under the circumstances, that doesn’t seem like a reasonable course of action and they decline.

Ambar appears at the entrance to the camp, and looses off a well aimed crossbow bolt.

The bounty hunters are unable to come up with a coherent strategy. Their leader, the man called Renard, reaches for his longbow and looses a shot at Caryk. His nearest sidekick shoots at Agatha. One of the guards rushes Ambar, and the other two close with Caryk.

Solsus gets out his sling, and his eagle swoops into the fray.

Caryk and the eagle manage to dispose of the two guards in melee with them. Jonathan Farrier drops the archer with a staggering blast of mental energy, and Ambar and her opponent trade blows.

Renard is dismayed by the way the battle is turning, but before he can act Gribron strikes him with a vivid cone of clashing colours. He is blinded by the glare, and Caryk steps up and fells him with a mighty blow.

The remaining bounty hunter moves past Ambar and makes a run for it. Unfortunately for him, he can’t outrun Solsus’s sling and suffers the same fate as all the rest.

To be on the safe side, Jonathan Farrier decapitates the corpses.

One of the tunnel gates has a new lock on it. A thorough search of the camp turns up the key. Inside is a sad sight – a man and a cat who have died of exposure. The man seems to be wearing a shroud of some sort. Caryk takes it. It is radiating magic, and if anything its aura grows stronger when they bury the unfortunate man.

Renard’s chain shirt is also enchanted. After a long discussion, Gribron gives way and allows Ambar to have it.

They also find a note. Apparently an inquisitor called Boreus will be passing through on his way to collect a wizard, and the bounty hunters can hand over any prisoners to him.

This stirs a chord in Jonathan’s memory. He recalls that a wizard called Haddin apparently lives in a farm on the outskirts of the Fire Forest. Haddin had a brother, who was a bad lot. One day the brother apparently turned over a new leaf, but it eventually emerged this was due to Haddin influencing him with magic. This sparked a rush of people who came forward and blamed Haddin’s influence for all manner of things they had done and later regretted.

Haddin moved out to the remote farm in disgust, and rumour has it he burned his spellbook.

The party decide this would be a good spot to ambush Inquisitor Boreus, but then it occurs to them that he will no doubt have a retinue – a large retinue, if he’s after a notorious wizard like Haddin. Maybe it would be better to get to Haddin first, and take out the inquisitor together.

Last edited:

I've realised I've messed up the Act numbering, so I'll correct it.

In the mean time, here's the next installment. Only 3 characters reduced to negative hit points this week .....

Act 5 – The Inquisitor
Scene 1 – Haddin’s Farm, Edge of the Fire Forest
January 4th, 5 pm

The Fire Forest is very close now. The air seems warmer, and the sky has a reddish glow.

A young woman is standing in the road.

[Seventh session ends.]

As the party approach, the young woman says vacantly, “The Scourge comes, and the skulls of the dragon pursue you. I saw it in a dream.” Then she shakes her head and seems to recover her senses.

Jonathan is intrigued by this strange young woman, who seems to be exhibiting some talent with the Power of Dreams. However, if anything she seems to have more in common with the dead bounty hunter, Kathor, than with the organised agents of Dreamcatcher.

“Who are you,” asks Caryk.

“My name is Crystin. My father and I live in a farm nearby. I have dreamt that the Inquisitors will be coming to kill him, but he won’t leave. Would you be willing to convince my father to leave, and take us with you?”

“We will do what we can,” says Caryk. “We have information that an inquisitor named Boreus is coming to collect a man called Haddin.”

“That’s my father.”

Crystin and Haddin live in a small stone farmhouse, on a slight rise to the left of the road. Off to one side is a dilapidated barn. There are also a pair of stone cairns, marking the graves of Haddin’s wife and brother.

Haddin turns out to be a sick old man, who coughs constantly. Living for many years on the edge of the fire forest has damaged his lungs. The man is adamant about staying to fight the inquisitor.

The party tries to come up with a plan. They are short on magical resources, but should have the element of surprise.

Gribron proposes luring the inquisitor into the farmhouse.

“Either Haddin could stand outside the farmhouse, or I could create an illusion of Haddin. I suppose we should go for the real thing. If he dies I guess we’ll know I should have used the spell.”

Haddin takes umbrage at this. “Disrespect me in my own house will you, you little whippersnapper?” He makes a few arcane gestures with his hands, and Gribron falls silent. Solsus realises that he has somehow enchanted their comrade. Carefully he and Caryk convince the old man to release the spell. They will need Gribron in full control of his faculties when the fight comes.

Uncharacteristically chastened, Gribron proposes they keep the front door open, whilst he creates an illusion of a shut door with Haddin outside it. Jonathan spikes the back door shut. Solsus goes outside to keep watch. The rest of the party take up positions in the living room, by the door, whilst Haddin and his daughter hide in separate bedrooms.

After a short while, Solsus spots a large group heading for the farmhouse. Its hard to make out details at this range, but there appears to be four large figures, two smaller figures and half a dozen or so creatures which move swiftly but with the shambling gait of undead.

When they get closer, Solsus makes out four orcs, two goblins and six animated human skeletons. One of the orcs pulls out a scroll and casts a spell from it, but Solsus is too far away to recognise it. This orc, who appears to be in charge, gestures towards the goblins.

One of them heads over to the barn, and climbs onto the roof. The other sneaks towards the front door. Solsus reports back to the others, then flies to the barn.

Gribron creates his illusion of Haddin, which fools the goblins. The one on the barn roof fires off a deadly accurate crossbow bolt, which strikes “Haddin” in the head. Concentrating, Gribron has “Haddin” stagger inside and shut the “door”. The second goblin pulls out some lock picks and moves stealthily towards the illusionary door. The skeletons wait patiently behind him, with the four orcs standing some way behind them.

Solsus fires off a sling bullet at the goblin on the barn. It strikes home, and the goblin lets out a muffled curse. Glancing around, there is no sign of where the stone came from. The only target is Solsus’s eagle, which clearly doesn’t have a sling. However, lacking any other target, the goblin decides to take out his anger on the eagle. He is gratified when the bolt strikes home, but somewhat surprised that the bird doesn’t fall from the sky. Instead, the infuriated eagle swoops down and attacks.

Meanwhile, the other goblin has reached the “closed door”. He can’t see through the illusion, but he is a sitting target for the people inside the house. Agatha hits him with her eldritch blast, then Ambar steps forward and finishes him off with her longsword.

This is the signal for the skeletons to move forward to the door. Ambar and Caryk block their entry into the house. Caryk downs one of the skeletons before it can bring its scimitar to bear. Agatha blast another, but her piercing beams of eldritch energy are of little use against creatures made of bone.

Meanwhile Gribron, realising the illusion has served its purpose, casts a spell on the orcs. There is no immediate effect and the orcs, realising the front door is very congested, head around the back.

The orcs struggle with the back door. One of them decides to take a nap at this point, but is soon shaken awake by his comrade. The largest of the orcs makes short work of the door with his mighty two handed axe.

Gribron, having learnt from his near death experience the previous day, decides discretion is the better part of valour. Thin tendrils of mist start forming around him, obscuring him from view. However, the leader of the orcs has spotted this and channels dark power into himself. There is a loud slurping sound and Gribron is both amazed and horrified when the orc sucks the mist into himself as quickly as it appears.

Jonathan utters his usual “Cower, brief mortals!” Two of the orcs are shaken by his words including, surprisingly, the large orc with the greataxe. That particular orc was busy working himself into a frenzy, but Jonathan’s words still strike home. Agatha, switching targets from the resilient skeletons, adds injury to insult by blasting the large orc.

The orc shrugs off the attacks, and fells Gribron with a mighty blow from his axe. His way now clear, he moves into the cottage. He strikes a further blow at Agatha, but stumbles slightly on Gribron’s body and misses his target. Agatha retreats, and Ambar – likewise not wishing to test herself against the axe - hits the orc with a bolt from her crossbow.

At this point there is further mayhem at the front door. A muscular, grey skinned humanoid, has appeared from nowhere and hurled himself at the skeletons. Unfortunately, his ridiculously oversized greatsword smashes into the doorframe, rather than bone.

Jonathan decides the skeletons make a more appealing target than the orcs, and moves in to help Caryk. He brings his quarterstaff down on the skull of the nearest skeleton, but lacks the strength to knock it over.

Meanwhile, Solsus and his eagle are duelling with the goblin on top of the barn. The goblin is losing the fight, and looks like he’d prefer to retreat or surrender, but neither is an option this close to the ferocious glare of his orc master.

The eagle pulls off the goblin’s ear in its beak. Howling in agony, the goblin staggers backwards and falls off the side of the barn. Solsus turns to the eagle, ear in its beak, and smiles. “I think I’ll call you Jaws,” he says.

Solsus heads over to the back door, but his injured eagle declines to accompany him. This reminds Solsus that he has the party’s only magical healing item, and he delays his return to his hard pressed comrades even further in order to heal his companion with Torrent’s wand. However, even fully healed the eagle has had enough fighting for one day, so Solsus sets off alone.

At the front door, the newcomer downs one of the remaining skeletons.

“Thanks mate, whoever you are,” says Caryk. “I can handle the rest of these skeletons. Would you mind heading round to the back and dealing with the orcs?”

The stranger grunts his assent, then heads round the side of the house to the back door to confront the orcs..

Once he reaches a safe distance from the back door, Solsus launches a sling bullet at the unarmoured orc leader. However, there is some kind of force protecting him, and the stone ricochets off and strikes one of his henchmen. The second orc is well protected by banded mail, and takes no damage.

Either this or the appearance of a lunatic with a big sword is enough to encourage the orcs to get out of the line of fire. They enter the farmhouse in single file, with the leader in the middle.

Caryk, Ambar and Agatha make short work of the remaining skeletons. Ambar decides to take a breath of fresh air, leaves the building and climbs onto the roof.. Caryk steadies himself, and heads towards the four orcs. Ambar and Jonathan, against their better judgement, go with him. The orc leader touches the raging, axe wielding orc in front of him, and some of his wounds close.

Then orc leader howls some words of power, and a sheet of flame erupts from his fingers. Ambar dodges out of the way, but cannot avoid being scorched. Caryk is even less lucky, and takes the full brunt of the fire.

Badly injured, Caryk has no choice but to withdraw from the fight. Unfortunately, he drops his guard as he does so and one of the other orcs fells him with his axe.

The newcomer has arrived at the back door in time to see Caryk fall. Howling in rage, he seems to grow bigger and stronger, filling the narrow corridor leading from the back door. His mighty sword now seems the right size for him, and he fells the nearest orc.

This encourages Jonathan and Ambar, and between them they bring down the big barbarian. This leaves them face to face with the orc leader and his remaining henchman. In their injured state, they decide to retreat. One of the orcs follows them, and takes out Jonathan with his axe. He is the third of the party to fall, but there are only two remaining orcs. The orc leader opens the nearest door, and spots Haddin. Letting out a cry of triumph, he closes with the wizard and slashes him with his claws. The other orc protects the door.

Solsus flies into the cottage, and assesses the situation. Caryk seems to have the most life threatening injuries, so Solsus heals him with the wand. Caryk climbs to his feet, and re-enters the fray.

The large newcomer squeezes his way towards the action, and helps Caryk to take out the orc guard. The two of them then move to help Haddin, but the remaining orc is the toughest of the lot. It looks like nothing can stop the fanatical orc from finishing off the old man, but then Agatha appears in the doorway and blasts the orc in the back of the head with a bolt of eldritch energy. Slowly, it crumples to the ground.

“My, what a mess,” says Solsus. “I seem to be the only one who isn’t hurt. Isn’t it ironic that I’m the one with the healing wand.” Methodically he starts healing everyone.

“Thanks for your help, friend. What’s your name?” says Caryk to the newcomer.

“Glad I could help out. I hate those pesky undead. My name is B’Roos.”

Once they have all recovered, Crystin starts cleaning up the shambles that is her home. Haddin is more determined than ever to stay, since the threat has apparently passed. The party try and encourage Crystin to abandon her father and come with them, but she won’t leave without them.

Jonathan and Solsus look at her carefully. It is slowly dawning on them that she is suffering under some sort of enchantment effect, similar to that Haddin used on Gribron. For some reason her lack of free will seems to make Jonathan particularly upset.

Diplomacy having failed, the party decide its time to get tough with Haddin. While Crystin is out of earshot, they make it plain to him that she will be coming with them, one way or another.

Haddin denies enchanting his daughter, but recognises the implied threat in their words. Reluctantly, he agrees to accompany them through the fire forest.

The party spend the day at the farmhouse and set off the next morning.

Scene 2 – Shrine of Aurean, Edge of the Fire Forest
January 5th, 9 am

There is a small shrine, dedicated to Aurean, at the edge of the forest.

The elderly priest is pleased to see visitors.

“This used to be a busy shrine, when the road still had traffic,” he says. “Nowadays, I see hardly anybody. Still, there was a group came through yesterday. They were going to brave the Fire Forest. I think one of them was a wizard; probably worried about inquisitors.”

“I’m surprised to see a shrine in this out of the way place,” says Gribron.

“It wasn’t out of the way before the fire,” replies the priest. “Forty years ago, that was. I don’t suppose any of you were born then. Coaltongue was still the Emperor, of course, but he was still forming his reputation. Ragesia and Shahalesti were squaring up to one another – some things never change – but the elves in the forest wanted to remain neutral.

“It wasn’t a time for neutrality. The Ragesians set the forest alight – that Coaltongue, he did love a good fire. For some reason, it has continued to burn ever since.”

All except Caryk thank the priest for his time, and move back onto the road.

Caryk, however, seems particularly touched by the shrine. He fingers the holy symbol around his neck, and comes to a conclusion.

“I’d like to make a donation to Aurean,” he says.

“That’s very kind of you,” says the priest, tactfully not commenting on Caryk’s dishevelled appearance.

“Great,” says Caryk, dropping his axes, spears, javelins, quarterstaff and other assorted weaponry at the priest’s feet. He then removes all his pouches, sacks and backpacks. After a few second’s thought, he reclaims the quarterstaff, and a sack which contains one day’s rations, and heads out to rejoin the others.

““Fire Forest, here we come,” he says.

I think someone took the Vow of Poverty feat.

And my apologies for having the stable in the map not actually face the front of the house as mentioned in the text. Sounds like you're having fun, though. How recently did you finish this part of the adventure?

Remove ads