War of the Burning Sky (updated 24th May)

RangerWickett said:
I think someone took the Vow of Poverty feat.

And my apologies for having the stable in the map not actually face the front of the house as mentioned in the text. Sounds like you're having fun, though. How recently did you finish this part of the adventure?
You might be right ...

Regarding the stable, I just told them the goblin on the roof could cover the front and back doors of the farmhouse, regardless of what it might look like from the map.

I'm having lots of fun. The players seem to be as well, although I think they'll be glad there aren't any more EL 7 encounters for a while.

We finished it Tuesday night, and got a little way into the forest - I've written up that bit but no point posting at the moment.

I encourage you to be a little less heavy-handed with the second adventure than its text may imply. A lot of folks were irritated with the railroadiness of having one path they can go down. If I could do it again, I'd have it so the road is clearly the fastest route, but that the PCs' protection from fire is strong enough to let them pass through the forest by other routes if they want.

RangerWickett said:
I encourage you to be a little less heavy-handed with the second adventure than its text may imply. A lot of folks were irritated with the railroadiness of having one path they can go down. If I could do it again, I'd have it so the road is clearly the fastest route, but that the PCs' protection from fire is strong enough to let them pass through the forest by other routes if they want.
Funnily enough, my players like a bit of gentle rail roading, so I don't anticipate any problems.

However, I'll certainly mention to them that the burning undergrowth isn't actually as dangerous as it might first appear. Thanks for the hint!

The War of the Burning Sky

The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar

Cast of Characters

Agatha
Ambar
B’Roos
Caryk
Gribron
Jonathan Farrier
Solsus (and Jaws)

Crystin
Haddin (her father)

Act 1 – The Elfroad

Flashback – Caryk
Temple of Dol Dorn, Free City of Gate Pass
November 22nd, 11 am

Torrent stood on the temple steps and looked at the scaly figure before her. Never before had she seen such an impressive collection of axes and javelins.

“Who are you, and what do you want?” she asked.

“My name is Caryk, Madam,” came the reply. “I’m a tortle. I have a letter of introduction to priestess Torrent of the Temple of Dol Dorn. In the Free City of Gate Pass,” he added, unnecessarily.

“That’s me,” said Torrent. “A letter from who?”

“Ambassador Ornaldo, Madam. He’s also a tortle. Like me.”

“Okay, I get the whole tortle thing. Come inside and give me the letter.” She strode off into the temple, and slow moving Caryk struggled to keep up.

“The thing is,” said Caryk, “most people say things like ‘what the heck are you’ when they first meet me. I like to get it out of the way early on.”

Once inside her small office, Torrent opened the letter. She didn’t recognise the seal, but there were only a handful of tortles in Gate Pass.

The letter read :-

“Temporary Tortle Embassy
Free City of Gate Pass
November 22nd

Dear Priestess Torrent,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. You may remember that we met last summer at the Lyceum, in Seaquen, on which occasion we had a very interesting discussion on the subject of politics.

Since then, I have had the honour of being appointed as ambassador for my people in your fine city of Gate Pass. The purpose of my embassy was to try and broker a treaty between the Ragesian Empire, the Shining Land of Shahalesti and the Free City of Gate Pass.

We tortles, whilst being nominally subject to Shahalesti, are often asked to act as intermediaries in such matters. Alas, my embassy has been a failure, largely due to the turmoil caused by the unfortunate death of Emperor Coaltongue, and I will shortly be heading east to the tortle lands in Shahalesti.

However, my nephew Caryk, who previously served as one of my retinue, will be remaining in the city and, if it would not presume too much on our acquaintance, I would like to recommend him to your service.

He is hardy and resilient, and has a good heart. However, he can be somewhat naïve and impetuous, and I feel he has reached a crossroads in his life.

In his youth, he showed great promise in the field of religious knowledge, and he was accepted as a student at the Monastery of the Two Winds by the Master of the West Wind himself, Longinus.

It was hoped that his time at the monastery would enable him to overcome his one vice, that of greed. Unfortunately, this was not the case. He also suffered a crisis of religious faith. Our family has long revered Aureon, God of Sages, and Caryk followed us in that faith. However, for whatever reason, his time at the monastery has caused him to doubt the teachings of the Sovereign of Law and Lore.

Longinus himself sent Caryk home to his people. He sent a kind letter, explaining he saw great potential in Caryk, but that until he was in better spiritual health there was nothing further he could learn there.

When I was given the honour of the post of ambassador, I took Caryk with me in the hope that, if religion was no longer appropriate, perhaps he could find a vocation in politics. However, his naiveté has proved a serious handicap, and now I am forced to return home in failure.

I recommend Caryk to you in the hope that you can find a place for him in your organisation, and that under your guidance, whilst experiencing the unique mixture of religious and political activity you undertake, Caryk can finally achieve his potential.

Your sincerely,

Ornaldo
Sometime ambassador to the Free City of Gate Pass”

Torrent turned to Caryk.

“So, you want a job?”

“Yes, Madam,” replied Caryk.

“Why didn’t you just say so? We can always use an extra pair of hands, especially at the moment. Now, what do you know about the Resistance?”

Scene 1
January 5th, 10 am

The nine figures follow the road as it enters the Fire Forest. The potions they have taken protect them from the worst effects of the heat, but they can still feel its withering touch. They are covered by the acrid smoke, which reduces visibility to a few feet.

Occasional gusts of wind clear the smoke, allowing the party to see the charred and blackened road as it runs ahead of them, but also fanning the flames into greater fury.

Haddin is the worst affected, coughing and spluttering almost constantly, but it is not a pleasant experience for anyone.

There is something strange about the flames. The fires burning in the undergrowth alongside the road seem strangely subdued in comparison to those above and behind. As the party moves along the road, the area of relative calm seems to be moving with them.

Suddenly Crystin stops.

“Eyes! A pair of dragon eyes. Looking at us from the flames. Looking at me.” She starts to sway.

“More eyes. Eyes in the fire! Eyes everywhere. Thousands of eyes.” She faints.

Whilst Caryk helps her back to her feet, the others scan the surroundings. There is no sign of any eyes watching them, draconic or otherwise.

“Is she mad?” asks Agatha.

“Possibly,” replies Jonathan, “but I think she’s had a premonition.”

There’s no sign of what may have triggered her fit, so they continue onwards. Solsus tries to scout ahead, but the flames seem to intensify the further he gets from the others, so in the end he keeps close to the rest of the party.

He is the first to spot three charred, smouldering bundles in the road. Jonathan identifies them as humanoid remains, possibly human. They are basically a collection of bones, with scraps of blackened flesh hanging off them. Various metal items surround the bodies – the clasp from a large book, some daggers, some coins and a spiked chain.

Carefully, Jonathan pokes around with his quarterstaff. The party know better than to touch the metal items, which must be blisteringly hot, and as there does not seem to be anything else of interest they start to move on.

At that moment, one of the bodies moves. How this flaming, agonised creature can manage to move is a mystery, and one Jonathan does not intend to investigate, He whips out his crossbow and shoots the creature in the head. “Thaaank youuu,” it whispers, and slumps back into a heap.

[Session ends]

A couple of miles into the forest, the party hears chittering and swooping in the branches overhead. A small, winged figure falls from the trees, and bumps into the surprised Gribron. The creature recovers quickly, and moves behind Gribron, making sure the man is between it and whatever has been chasing it through the forest.

Hard on its heels is a massive, fiery bat. The bat tries to gulp up its victim, but connects with Gribron instead. In keeping with his recent run of bad luck, Gribron takes the full force of the bat’s fiery bite, and collapses to the ground. The creature sheltering behind him curses in common.

“Why are you lying down? Get up! Get up!” it squeaks, before giving up on Gribron and taking cover behind Ambar. The bat hurtles past the party, and then swings back after its target. This time its bite hits its intended victim – but unlike the hapless Gribron its target is not bothered by the flames, and seems able to resist some of the force of the blow.

Ambar, Gribron and B’Roos move to engage the bat, which proves surprisingly agile for a creature of its size. Solsus tends to Gribron; a quick use of the healing wand has the man back on his feet.

Jonathan studies the bat’s target. “Hmm, a fire mephit. I wonder what its doing here? Anyway, better deal with that fiery dire bat first.” He unleashes a bolt of mental energy at the bat, which reels from the impact but does not go down.

Gribron, seeking to protect the mephit, creates an illusionary double of the creature in the hope of confusing the bat. City boy that he is, he doesn’t realise that bats don’t rely on sight when hunting their prey, so he is somewhat surprised when the bat ignores the silent illusion. Fortunately, the rest of the party were not depending on him to save the day, and the bat falls under a flurry of blows.

Solsus eyes the still-smouldering corpse, then turns his attention to the mephit. The creature has plucked a burning branch from a nearby tree, and is applying it to its injuries. The wounds start to slowly close up where the heat touches them.

“How long have you been in the forest?” asks Solsus.

“Are you trying to chat me up?” replies the mephit.

“Of course not,” replies Solsus huffily. “That would be far too frivolous.”

“I’m here on holiday. Been here a week, the forest is a great place.”

“Why was the bat chasing you?”

“It was hungry. Thanks for rescuing me guys. Much appre… uh oh …”

The smouldering corpse of the dire bat suddenly re-kindles, and the bat bursts back into life. Single-mindedly, it heads once more for the mephit, who darts behind Solsus. However, the reborn bat’s maiden flight comes to an abrupt end on the blade of B’Roos’s sword.

This time its remains turn to ash, and stay that way.

“Right, I’ll be off,” says the mephit. “Be careful of the burning animals, and don’t annoy the forest. Its like its alive in some weird way.” The little creature flies off into the undergrowth.

Ahead, the road arrives at a gorge some fifty feet wide and sixty feet deep. A charred stone bridge crosses the gorge. Its sides are guarded by stone railings, but at one point in the centre of the bridge the railings on the right hand side are missing. The surface of the bridge is heavily cracked in this area, and looks none too safe.

Solsus takes a look at the bottom of the bridge. It appears there are dozens of tiny fires burning underneath it. He turns himself invisible and flies off to investigate.

The tiny fires turn out to be a colony of fiery bats which are nesting on the underside of the bridge. Individually they are all much smaller than the monster bat the party has just defeated, but they more than make up for it by weight of numbers. The bats swarm out and engulf Solsus before he can react. His burning body drifts down into the gorge, but fortunately his fall is broken by a gorse bush.

Agatha winces.

“What’s happening?” asks Gribron.

“The fiery bats just hurt Solsus. He’s landed in a gorse bush, which must be doubly painful. He’s lucky he was wearing his trousers.”

“How could the bats see him?” asks Gribron. “He was invisible.”

“There’s no time for a nature lesson at the moment,” says Agatha, and walks down the side of the gorge to retrieve Solsus’s body.

Meanwhile the host of bats has headed towards the rest of the party. B’Roos and Caryk stand their ground, whilst the rest beat a hasty retreat. The bats head for B’Roos. He slices through their ranks with his mighty sword, killing many bats, but the rest swarm over him, biting and burning as they go.

Disorientated, B’Roos can only try and stagger out from underneath them. Caryk comes to his aid, assisted by missile fire from Jonathan, Ambar and Gribron. Their combined efforts turn the bats into smouldering corpses, drifting on the breeze.

Agatha carries Solsus’s limp body up the cliff, and gives the healing wand to Caryk. The tortle can’t see Solsus, but pokes the wand hopefully where he thinks the pixie’s torso is. Agatha winces again as the wand makes contact with a tender spot, but the healing magic does its trick and the pixie recovers consciousness.

“While I was down there, I saw a wagon at the bottom of the gorge,” says Agatha. It must have gone off the side of the bridge where the railing is broken.”

Agatha and the irrepressible Solsus head back down into the gorge, and return with a metal chest. Inside there are a number of potions, a wand which could be the twin of Torrent’s healing wand, and a small amount of gold and gems.

“I’ll have a go at identifying the potions,” says Solsus, “although its not really my area of expertise.”

“Oh give them here,” says Haddin irritably. He casually inspects the potions. “A dozen potions of Stand the Heat,” he announces.

Solsus flies across the gorge and then back again, inspecting the bridge as he goes.

“The area in the middle doesn’t look safe, but the rest seems fine,” he says. “I suggest we cut up planks from the wagon and use them to distribute your weight evenly across the shaky sections.”

The party quickly puts the plan into action, and soon has a supply of crude but serviceable planks.

B’Roos strolls across the bridge towards the weakened section, carrying an armful of planks. In order to cut down on his weight he has removed his armour. Caryk trails behind, carrying it.

It appears Solsus isn’t much of an engineer. One of the “safe” sections gives way beneath B’Roos’s feet, and he narrowly manages to save himself from a sixty foot plummet into the gorge below.

This leaves B’Roos in an awkward position, hanging onto the bridge by his fingers, with his legs dangling through a large hole in the floor.

“Stop clowning around,” says Haddin. “I don’t want to spend all week over a simple bridge crossing.”

B’Roos struggles to pull himself back onto the bridge, but with the help of Caryk pulling from above and Solsus pushing from below he eventually manages it.

“I probably should have thought of this earlier,” says Solsus, “but how about if I go ahead of you to test the bridge?” No sooner said than done, he sets off across the bridge.

“Solsus,” says Agatha, “it would probably be more use if you walked on the bridge, instead of flying just above it ….”

B’Roos makes it to the cracked section and lays down the planks. The group makes it across the bridge without further incident.

Some time later, Caryk and Solsus spot a small explosion ahead of the party. Solsus flies off to investigate, and returns with the news that a bearded figure is hiding in the undergrowth ahead of them. It has horns, a glaive and a certain devilish aspect to its countenance.

“Sounds like a bearded devil,” says Jonathan. “They are immune to fire, so would be right at home here in the forest.”

“He’s probably waiting to ambush us,” says Caryk. “Let’s move casually on the road until we are alongside him, then rush him.”

The party follow his plan, but as soon as they head towards the devil it vanishes in a pillar of fire.

“Probably teleported away,” suggests Jonathan. “We know that there’s some sort of fire effect burning up people who use teleportation magic, but that wouldn’t bother a devil. He could be anywhere.”

The party look around, but can’t see the elusive devil. Shrugging, they continue along the road.

Half an hour later, a large red dog steps out of the undergrowth ahead of them. It is carrying something in its mouth, which it then drops. The dog backs up and regards them expectantly.

“Looks like a hellhound,” says Jonathan. “Another creature that is not bothered by fire. I wonder what it dropped.”

“Only one way to find out,” replies Caryk, and heads towards the hellhound. Somewhat to his surprise, he realises it has dropped a bone. He picks it up, and reads aloud what has been inscribed on the bone in the Common tongue.

“Leave the case. Cooperate, and we might find an arrangement to spare your lives. Carry this with you if you wish to bargain.”

“What case?” asks Gribron.

“The case we got from Gate Pass, which we are carrying to Seaquen,” says Caryk impatiently. Arriving at decision, he hurls the bone over the hellhound’s head. “Fetch!”

The hellhound continues to stand and regard Caryk, but some party members think they detect a certain quizzical aspect to its gaze.

“Oh well, he might have fallen for it,” thinks Caryk, and charges the hellhound. The beast opens its jaws wide, and breathes out a cone of fire. Moving at full speed, Caryk nimbly manages to avoid the flames completely, and strikes the hellhound with his staff.

Its not clear whether the rest of the group are miffed by Caryk’s unilateral decision to attack the creature, but they wade into the fray with gusto. The beast quickly falls to a combination of sword blows, arrows and blasts of energy.

The party carry along the road, and some time later the clouds of smoke part in the wind and they spot the figure of the bearded devil standing in the road ahead of them.

“Greetings,” it says. “I see you are not carrying the femur. It appears you are not yet ready to listen to my terms. In that case, allow me to test your mettle.”

Five weird, pinkish blobs of matter rise from the ash on the side of the road, forming into vaguely humanoid shapes.

“That creature is the weakest,” declares the devil, pointing at Gribron with his glaive. “Kill him.” The creatures move forward in a line. Three of them swing blows at Gribron. The other two cannot reach him, so attack Ambar instead.

Gribron had readied a potion as soon as the devil appeared, and now he drinks it down. Uttering words of power, he summons a thick mist which shrouds and conceals the party but does not protect the devil’s minions. Then, calling upon the magical energies granted to him by the potion, he leaves the mist behind and takes to the air.

Ambar calls upon her own magical powers, and a shimmering shield of force appears in front of her, protecting her from attacks.

Cary steps into the spot vacated by Gribron, and strikes one of the creatures with his staff. It is not particularly nimble, and the modicum of protection provided by its tough skin is not enough to deflect the blow. However, mere wood proves not to be very effective against the creature’s fiendish flesh.

B’Roos, disdaining the lesser foes, charges towards the devil. Prudently, he has opted to use his shield in this encounter rather than swinging his sword two handed. However, in his enthusiasm he misjudges his blow and his sword thrust goes wide.

Jonathan Farrier, now shrouded in mist, cannot see any targets. The brief glimpse he was afforded of the devil’s minions was enough for him to identify them as lemures – pitiful creatures whose mindless nature means they will be immune to his mental attacks.

Instead, Jonathan heads down the road until he is out of the mist, then sends a bolt of mental energy towards the devil. It strikes home, and the devil acknowledges the hit by saluting him briefly with his glaive.

Smoothly, the devil then reverses the blade and with blinding speed slashes twice at B’Roos. The barbarian is knocked back by the force of the first blow, causing the second to miss. However, that one hit is enough to fell B’Roos.

Solsus, spotting B’Roos’s plight (and hoping the devil can’t detect invisible opponents) flies over to heal the barbarian. For once, however, his trusty wand of healing lets him down. There is a foul quality to the wounds which resists the magic; worse, the wounds are continuing to bleed. B’Roos will quickly bleed to death unless Solsus can do something.

“I guess I’ll have to do this the old fashioned way,” thinks Solsus. He pulls out his healing kit, and extracts some bandages and herbs. He carefully applies the herbs to the wound, and then bandages it up to stop the bleeding.

The immediate danger has now passed, but it will take more than bandages to get B’Roos back on his feet. Solsus uses the wand once more. Charge after charge fizzles with no effect, but a few manage to overcome whatever foul force is in the wound, and slowly B’Roos is returned to health.

Gribron, flying safely above the fray, is momentarily at a loss as to how to combat the devil. Then he recalls the lantern archon they encountered in the depository in Gate Pass. He seems to remember that devils and archons don’t get along.

“So I’m the weakest, am I? Let’s see how you handle my archons, Beardy!” he yells at the devil. He then creates an illusion of three lantern archons behind the devil. They impudently pulsate with light in a way the devil finds particularly offensive. Snarling in rage it moves over to the nearest “archon” and slices it in two with his glaive. It is somewhat surprised by the ease with which its blow passes through the archon’s body, but its light dims in a particularly pleasing manner and the devil decides it was simply due to its own martial prowess.

Jonathan Farrier continues to aim mental blasts at the devil. The creature is better prepared now, but most of them still penetrate its defences. Despite this, the damage seems little more than an irritation.

Meanwhile, Ambar and Caryk are skirmishing with the lemures. Most of them have advanced into the mist, so are now benefiting from its concealment. The lemures are fairly easy to hit, but resistant to both longsword and quarterstaff. On the other hand, the lemures are finding it well nigh impossible to hit Caryk and Ambar.

This stalemate is broken by Agatha, whose eldritch blasts seem to have little difficulty harming fiendish flesh, but even so it takes two or three strikes to finish one off.

The devil finishes off the second “archon”, and now seems to realise it has been tricked. It fixes its gaze on Jonathan Farrier, exposed at the edge of the mist, and gives an evil smile.

Desperately, Jonathan concentrates his remaining mental energy into one last blow. It penetrates the devil’s defences, but instead of dissipating to little effect like the previous attacks instead it penetrates deep into the devil’s psyche. The creature is visibly shocked by the mental onslaught, and its devilish life force has been substantially diminished.

“My compliments,” it says, and salutes Jonathan once more. “Until we meet again …” It vanishes in a plume of flame.

The departure of their master has not weakened the lemures. Ambar and Caryk continue to flail away ineffectually, until finally the spell which summoned them runs out and the lemures collapse into piles of ash once more.

Gribron dismisses his mist, and lands next to his comrades. “I don’t know about you guys, but I could really do with a rest now.”

Jonathan, exhausted by his heroic efforts, can only nod in agreement.

Scene 2
January 6th, 10 am

The heroes spend an uncomfortable night camped in the Fire Forest, and the next morning they each take another potion of Stand the Heat. With their present numbers they need ten potions a day; thanks to the discovery of the wagon at the bottom of the gorge they have twelve potions remaining when they set out. If they are not out of the forest by the end of tomorrow people are going to start dying, but for the present spirits are reasonably high.

When they are roughly six miles into the forest, (with eleven miles to go), the curtains of flame which have been burning steadily at the side of the road suddenly kindle into life. The sides of the road have become dangerously warm, despite the magical protection afforded to the heroes.

Up ahead there is the glint of a river, and sharp-eyes Solsus can make out the shape of a bridge. Without warning, there is a loud cracking sound and several large trees collapse into the roadway, cutting off the view.

Cristin’s eyes glaze over, a sure sign she is having another vision. She turns towards Gribron. “Its not safe! Move. Move away!”

Gribron has had a hectic and painful couple of days, and has spent rather more time than he would have liked lying in a puddle of his own blood. He is grateful for at least receiving a warning on this occasion, and moves smartly away from his current position, to take up station near Agatha.

“Don’t stand next to me, you idiot,” she says. “I don’t want your accident prone carcase anywhere where I might get caught in the cross fire.”

“That’s not what you said last ….” he retorts, but the end of his sentence is drowned out by a sudden increase in noise from the nearby fires.

The flames reaching out from the trees at the side of the road coalesce into a searing spear of fire. With a noise like thunder it drives into the ground where Gribron had earlier been standing, and then splits into three living flames. These flames form themselves into shapes reminiscent of stags, and move to engage the party members.

Almost at the same time, a massive wall of flames appears on the road behind the party, completely blocking their escape route.

The road is now blocked by burning trees ahead, and a wall of fire behind. To make matters worse, the wall of fire starts moving along the road towards the party.

Solsus takes to the air, and engages the stags with his sling. The valiant Jaws also moves towards the fray, but Solsus waves him away. The eagle’s claws are unlikely to do much damage to creatures made of flame, but the consequences to the eagle of touching them would probably be severe.

The three stags move towards the two closest targets, B’Roos and Agatha. Their attacks seem highly co-ordinated, and both of our heroes are hit. Agatha’s clothing catches fire and she steps back to try and put out the flames.

Jonathan has been prepared for more attacks by fire creatures, and lets fly with a bolt of ice that strikes its target with a satisfying sizzle that leaves its flames much diminished.

Agatha puts out the flames surprisingly easily, unaware that the potion she has drunk is giving some protection to her equipment, and unleashes her eldritch blast on her attacker.

Gribron strikes another with a bolt of magical force – one of the signature spells of Gabal’s evokers. Ambar also calls upon a force effect, but hers is defensive in nature.

Caryk too is concentrating on defence. He whispers a swift prayer to Aurean, and shimmers slightly as he calls into being invisible armour to protect him.

All the party attempt to retreat from the moving wall of flames, but the stags move to block their path. One of the stags hits B’Roos, and he collapses into unconsciousness. The wall of flames will soon be upon him ….

Fortunately, Solsus has spotted his plight. Relying on the protection of his invisibility, he lands next to the stricken Goliath and is able to relieve his burns.

The party are not able to co-ordinate their attacks effectively; all three of the stags are damaged but none of them are down. Jonathan rectifies this with another bolt of ice, which is proving particularly potent against the fire creatures.

Caryk and B’Roos are both within range of the wall of fire. The extreme heat on its fringes would be damaging them even at this distance, were it not for their protections against heat. Fortunately, the pace of the wall’s advance has slowed somewhat. It is as if killing one of the stag creatures has somehow weakened the wall of fire. Whether this is just a temporary effect remains to be seen.

Most of those who are able move around the remaining two stags and withdraw towards the barricade of burning trees. Caryk and the newly healed B’Roos are in no mood for retreat, however, and Caryk strikes one of the stags a mighty blow with his staff.

Meanwhile, Gribron has been cut off, and despite Caryk’s best efforts it is Gribron the stags target.

“Typical”, thinks Gribron. “Every creature in this damn forest wants to get a piece of me.” One of the stags aims a ferocious blow with its antlers at Gribron’s head … only for Gribron to disappear and reappear ten feet further back. He is slightly singed from his short trip, but otherwise unharmed.

Solsus brings down the injured stag with his sling, and the wall’s rate of advance slows even further. Despite this, it seems the wall must engulf leaden footed Caryk. He and B’Roos swing at the sole surviving stag but to no avail.

Jonathan, sensing that the only hope of saving Caryk from a fiery death is to defeat the last opponent, pulls out all the stops and launches his most powerful ice bolt at the beast. Agatha, following his example, lets loose with an eldritch blast. The creature staggers, but does not go down, and Caryk watches helplessly as the flames reach for him ….

There is a slight “phut” sound as a pencil thin beam of ice strikes the stag. It looks down in dismay, then follows the line back to an anxious looking Gribron. The frosty touch of Gribron’s ray proves too much to bear, and the stag collapses into a pile of ash – as does the wall of fire.

“Interesting,” says Jonathan. “I’ve never seen a wall of fire move like that, and it seemed somehow to be connected to those stags. Which are unusual in themselves. They seemed to be pretty standard fire elementals to me, but I wonder why they chose to assume the form of stags. What do you think, Caryk?”

“Huh?” replies Caryk. “Sorry, I wasn’t listening. I was too busy checking nothing important had been burned off. What did you say?”

Jonathan’s reply is drowned out by a whispering in the trees. Snatches of words seem to come from all directions, growing louder, and louder until finally a booming voice yells out, “KNOW THIS! I AM THE FLAME AND I AM A PRISONER HERE. SAVE ME FROM THE PRISON OF ENFORCED FLESH, AND YOU MAY CONTINUE TO YOUR DESTINATION. REFUSE, AND NEVER SHALL YOU LEAVE THIS WOOD. YOU SHALL BE A PRISONER FOR AS LONG AS I.”

The voice drops to a whisper, but remains perfectly clear – almost as if it was inside their heads.

“You shall burn forever, and never die …..”

The flames on the fallen trees blocking the road suddenly burn even higher, and a massive draconic face appears in the fire, its head adorned with a crown of thorns. The face then slowly fades, until nothing is left but a pair of immense, fiery eyes, staring at the party.

“I’ve heard of a cat that can do that,” says Solsus brightly. “Except that I think it leaves its smile behind instead of its eyes.”

Caryk seems somewhat nonplussed by the situation. “Um, we are always willing to help a creature in need. How can we help you?”

“End the song of the deep, the song of agony and eternal vigil. Silence the forty tongues who hold me here, who doom themselves with my relentless flame.”

“How do we do that?” asks Gribron.

“Rest your flesh in the ruins beyond the bridge. Then you must follow the river DOWN to the singing lake. I lie trapped beneath its surface. Set me free!”

“Who are these singers?” asks Gribron. “What type of creatures are they?”

“They are those who imprison me. Set me free!”

"A tribe of bards!" says Caryk. "What a horrible concept. They must all die!"

Caryk takes a quick show of hands. It seems everybody is in favour of helping the strange fiery creature escape its imprisonment. Each of the party affirms his or her agreement.

“So be it!” says the creature, and vanishes. The burning trees go out, and the fiery undergrowth at the side of the road returns to its normal, smouldering level. Each of the party calls out in agony as a wave of fire flows through their veins.

“I feel different,” says Agatha. “I can no longer feel the heat of the forest.”

“Oh,” says Caryk. “I haven’t felt the heat anyway. I thought that’s what the potions did. Aurean must have been protecting me and I hadn’t even realised.”

“Or maybe all the time you’ve spent taking blows to the head has just made you numb?” suggests B’Roos.

The party do their best to scramble over the fallen trees. Solsus, embarrassed by the way ground walkers are stymied by the most basic of obstacles, flies off to investigate the bridge and the village beyond it.

He returns with the news that the village seems deserted. There are no signs of any creatures, apart from the occasional small, burning mammal scuttling along the streets.

The only places of note are the bridge itself, which has a tower on it, and a stone fountain which appears to be a shrine of some sort.

“We haven’t got very far today,” says Solsus, “but the creature did suggest we rest in the village before heading downstream to the lake.”

“Does the road follow the river down to the lake?” asks Caryk.

“No the road crosses the river and continues on its way. Its easy enough to follow the river though; it used to much wider but lots of it has burned away to create a natural road along each bank.”

“So lets check out this village,” says Ambar.

Act 2 – Rivers Flow to the Deep

Scene 1
Village in the Fire Forest
January 6th, 11 am

As the party approach the bridge, it appears at first to be made out of vines. Everyone’s heart sinks. Given the fact that almost everything in the forest is on fire, this bridge must be even more precarious than the last one.

However, when they get closer they realise that the bridge is actually made out of solid stone which has been carved to look like vines. Jonathan thinks for a moment.

“This is the architectural style of the Elves of Innenotdar,” he says. “Its supposed to represent a fusion of the natural and the artificial, or something like that.”

“Yes, I think I’ve heard of it,” says Solsus. “Natural is better, of course.”

“I seem to recall that the Shahalesti Elves agreed with you,” says Jonathan. “They criticised this style as being too akin to something dwarves might do.”

“When you’ve finished discussing architecture,” says Gribron, “shall we check out the tower on the bridge?”

“I have not been remiss in my duty,” replies Solsus indignantly. “I have thoroughly scouted the outside. There are three levels. From what I could tell by looking in through the arrow slits, there are no inhabitants. However, there are two dead bodies on the lowest level. I tried to squeeze through one of the arrow slits but I couldn’t fit.”

“Lard belly,” says the impressively muscled B’Roos, who looks like he might have difficulty fitting through the doorway.

“I was only discussing architecture whilst waiting for you to do your job and investigate the entrance,” says Jonathan to Gribron. “I’m sure you have noticed that this tower in the middle of the river is protected from the fire, and hence the door is very much intact. Breaking and entering is so much more in your line than in mine.”

Gribron, not sure whether or not he has been insulted, examines the door carefully but can find nothing untoward. He struggles with the lock, but Solsus is able to use his knowledge of the Innenotdar Elves and his earlier scouting to aid him, and eventually Gribron manages to open the door.

The door opens outwards, like all good tower doors, and Gribron is somewhat surprised to see a one foot stone cube on the floor just inside the entrance. It is glowing with magic light, and has a message painted on it in Elvish.
Fortunately Gribron is fluent in the Elf tongue, and can translate.

“The password is ‘friend’.”

“Shouldn’t it say ‘Speak friend and enter’?” says the traditionally minded Solsus.

Gribron says ‘friend’ in Elvish, then scans the room for magic.

“There’s some sort of magical glyph here,” he says. “However, it seems to be dormant. There’s also a ward on the door, but I must have bypassed that when I opened it because nothing bad happened.”

Behind the cube are the two dead bodies Solsus had mentioned earlier. The party moves into the room and examines them. It seems that they were protected from the fire inside the tower, and simply burned to death. They have some nice equipment which the party salvages. Jonathan takes a finely crafted shortsword for his own use.

Stairs lead up to the middle level, which is dominated by a long table. On the table there is a holy symbol of Dol Arrah, a journal and a miniature wooden representation of the village. Again, the only thing that stands out is the shrine.

Gribron examines the journal. Unsurprisingly, it is written in Elvish. He quickly turns to the last entry and translates it for the benefit of his comrades.

“I tire of spending my days rescuing the burning bodies of survivors and tending to them to no effect. The last survivor I found was a woman who still believed that the Living Wood of Innenotdar could not be abandoned. She asked my help looking for her boyfriend. We found him in a hidden basement under the Shrine of Anyariel, where he had gone to curse the Anyariel name, along with a dozen other of the townsfolk.

“The fire had somehow burned in from the roots of the shrine, and they had long since been claimed. Though not dead, they are despairing, and their curses haunt me. The woman saw her beloved and fled me into the woods, seeking an impossible death. I found myself hoping something ate her. I never learned her name.

“ I can do this no longer. To whatever god hears the prayers of the doubting, please give me the strength for the task ahead of me. I am going to deliver the despairing to the mouth of the White River UPSTREAM, where at least they can have some reprieve from the fire.

“May someone find what I have hidden. It would help bring to justice those responsible for the destruction of my beautiful homeland, for which otherwise none shall shed tears.”

Solsus and Jonathan both seem to recognise the name Anyariel.

“I think she was a hero of Innenotdar,” says Solsus. “She died a short while before the forest caught fire. She was a friend of the forest’s fey, blessed by the forest itself, and drove darkness from the forest with her magical sword.”

“I believe so,” says Jonathan. “The sword in question was a greatsword, carved in wood.”

B’Roos’s ears prick up at this mention of the sword. “What sort of magical greatsword?” he asks.

“I’m not sure,” says Jonathan. “She used it to defeat many monsters, including a blackguard from Ragesia and a golem of white clay. Not sure how relevant that is though.”

Skimming through the journal, Gribron picks up some more information about its author.

“The elf who wrote this was a cleric of Dol Arrah. His name was Bhurisrava. I think that’s a celestial word, but dunno what it means. Anyway, with the devastation in the forest he wanted to convert to Olladra and so he could be better at healing the victims, but he didn’t know how.

“Its pretty grim reading. The elves tried to put out the fires, but they couldn’t. The fires just wouldn’t go out.”

Somewhat sobered by the lack of loot on this level, the party head up the stairs to the top floor.

This area is bare of interesting items, but there is a locked cupboard. Unfortunately the lock proves to be beyond Gribron’s skills.

“Don’t worry, this key will fit any lock,” says B’Roos, who proceeds to batter away at the door with his sword. The sword soon wins the unequal battle.

The closet contains housekeeping materials. “What kind of lunatic puts a lock that good on a cupboard containing all this junk,” fumes Gribron.

However, there is one item of note. There is a paper pouch, marked “for later study” in Elvish. The handwriting is the same as in the journal. The pouch is also labelled in Goblin, which Gribron can’t read but Solsus can.

“Take one for visions of the Fire Maker. Do not take more. These are poison. May cause drowsiness. Do not operate heavy siege weaponry.”

Inside the pouch there are seven innocuous looking seeds. Solsus is somewhat familiar with herb lore, and suspects they may be hallucinogenic. He used to partake of similar substances in his misspent youth, before he came to realise the weight of responsibility on his shoulders.

Gribron consults the journal, and finds a reference to the seeds.

“Apparently Bhurisrava got them from the corpses of some goblins. He used his magic to speak to the spirits of the dead goblins, and found out some information from them. The goblins lived in caves beneath the forest. They were responsible for setting the forest on fire, after being hired by a Ragesian orc.”

“We already knew the Ragesians started the fire,” said Solsus. “Coaltongue loved fires. But surely it was a magical fire, not something as mundane as a blaze started by goblins? This fire clearly isn’t natural.”

“The dead goblins didn’t go into any details,” says Gribron. “Anyway, they called the seeds ‘dream seeds’, which give visions of a ‘dream realm’. Bhurisrava tried one, but it didn’t work.”

This reference to dreams gets Jonathan’s attention (unlike the Fire Maker part, which is ignored by everyone).

“Elves don’t sleep,” he says, “so they are hardly going to dream. I’d like to try one of those seeds. Anyone else like to give it a try?”

Jonathan is the only one willing to experiment, so he settles himself into a corner of the room and takes one of the seeds. He starts to feel sleepy. For a moment he fights off drowsiness, but then he decides to surrender to the sensation.

He starts to experience wild dreams. At first he sees the forest, with the flames rising higher, He can hear a distant, distorted song which in his dream state he recognises as the sylvan language – even though he has never heard it spoken before. He can’t shake the feeling that someone is hiding in the shadows at the edge of his vision, but whenever he turns around there is nothing there.

The dreams move back in time. He starts to experience what he is convinced are visions of his past life, even though his re-birth was supposed to have ended his past life forever. The dreams start to spin forward to the present.

There is a ship, always on the move, somehow larger on the inside than the outside, and a woman, always laughing. Then there is a fire, the flames rising higher and higher. Pain, unconsciousness.

Then a magnificent city, towers reaching for the sky. Starving, killing, stealing, killing and stealing.

The scene moves to Gate Pass. Two heads in a bag. Then into the future; the city overcome by blood and swords. A path to power, shining bright. A torch? Then it turns into a silvery blue serpent.

The serpent lashes at Jonathan with its tail, and he cries out in pain. Then the serpent starts to fade away.

Outside of the dream, Jonathan’s scream alerts the others. They are not sure what to do to ease his pain.

They are somewhat bemused when a silvery blue flying serpent starts to materialise in front of them. Gribron is the first to react. A cone of scintillating colours bursts from his hand, and blinds the strange newcomer.

Ambar and Caryk swing their weapons at the serpent, which is floating effortlessly in front of them. Caryk misses, but for a second it seems like Ambar has hit the creature. Then there is a strange, dizzy sensation and Ambar’s sword has somehow struck herself instead.

B’Roos is somewhat perturbed by this turn of events, but lacking any other options he too strikes at the creature. His blow strikes home, and the beast is forced back. Solsus takes advantage of this and moves in to heal Ambar.

The beats, despite being blinded, has identified Gribron as the source of its misfortune. It lashes out with its tail and he screams in a manner reminiscent of Jonathan a few moments earlier.

Caryk strikes at the creature, and again there is a sense of reality being warped, and Caryk hits himself smartly behind the ear.

“Lucky it was only his head,” thinks B’Roos. He’s figured out that whatever strange power this creature possesses, it requires a short interval to “re-set” itself, and quickly follows up Caryk’s attack with one of its own.

It’s a mighty blow, and it seems the creature cannot possibly survive it, but at the last instant the monster somehow manages to teleport from the chamber and can be viewed through the nearest arrow slit.

B’Roos’s disappointment is short lived, however, as the strange side effect of teleporting comes into being and the creature is transformed into a pile of ash, which floats gently down to the ground.

The party decide that Jonathan is not in any immediate peril, so let him sleep. He wakes up ten minutes later.

“What did you see?” asks Agatha.

“Weird, dream stuff. It didn’t make any sense. I got a feeling Gate Pass is in danger, but I’m not there so who cares.”

The party realise that this “deserted village” has hidden dangers, and decide to follow the advice of the strange fiery being and rest in the safety of the tower.

Scene 2
Shrine of Anyariel, Fire Forest
January 7th, 9 am

The next day, Solsus is the first to awake. He is pretty sure the tower, despite being away from the flames, should be uncomfortably hot, but he feels fine.

He decides to forego the usual potion of Stand the Heat, and takes a cautious trip outside. He is pleased to discover that the potions are no longer needed; whatever the mysterious fire being did to them is protecting them from the effects of the fire forest.

The party discusses the plan for the day. They need to head along the river, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a quick search of the village first.

Solsus, Gribron, Agatha and Jonathan decide to visit the fountain, which is probably the shrine of Anyariel referred to in Bhurisrava’s journal. The other three will explore the rest of the village.

The shrine is a beautiful stone fountain in the shape of a willow tree. Its pool has boiled away, and the trees which once surrounded it have been cut down – presumably to stop their continual burning.

Solsus gets the impression that this was once a druid shrine, and carries out a careful inspection. He notices a pair of bodies in the “branches” of the stone tree. Unusually, they have not been affected by the flames, and show no sign of fire damage.

This is somewhat suspicious, and Jonathan and Gribron decide to take pot shots at the bodies with their crossbows. Agatha is not willing to play this game, and withdraws to a safe distance.

After a few attempts, Jonathan is the first to hit one of the bodies. The “corpse” hurls itself from the branches and rushes towards him in a fury of teeth and claws. Its partner is not far behind. The stench from these creatures is appalling; Jonathan Farrier has a strong stomach, but Gribron starts to look green around the edges. Gribron backs off and lets fly with a bolt of positive energy, but he is too queasy to shoot straight.

“I do believe these are ghasts,” says Jonathan. “Sages believe people who consume corpses can sometimes turn into this kind of undead. I’d have thought all the bodies around here were too well done for their tastes.”

The ghasts are unimpressed by the lecture, and tear into Jonathan with their teeth and claws. Most of the attacks miss, provoking a barrage of hissing criticism between the two vile creatures.

“Possibly a husband and wife team,” thinks Gribron and Agatha.

However, one bite does strike home in Jonathan’s thigh, and he feels an icy numbness spreading through his body.

Gribron backs away from the ghasts, trying to seek safety in numbers by standing behind Agatha. The two of them, with help from Solsus’s sling, manage to take down the first ghast, but the second is unfazed and fastens its teeth into Gribron’s neck. He too is paralysed, and the stench is such that Agatha has to pause to be sick before leaving him to his fate.

The remaining ghast pursues Agatha, but she is able to stay one step ahead of it for long enough for Jonathan to shake off his paralysis. He has an inkling the creature is protected against fire, so strikes it with bolt of electricity. This slows it down long enough for Agatha to lay it to rest with a blast of eldritch energy. The two of them have enough time to write “I am an idiot” on the back of Gribron’s tunic before he too throws off the effect of the paralysis.

Solsus lands beside them.

“Good work defeating those vile undead. Now lets see if we can find that hidden basement to the shrine referred to in the journal.”

“I’ve got a better idea,” said Gribron. “How about we just sit here for a bit until I stop being sick?”

Last edited:

RangerWickett said:
So each of these posts is one session? When are your games? (I.e., how regularly can I hope for updates?)
Each post is pretty much one session.

We play every Tuesday, and I try and write them up on Wednesdays (sometimes it slips to Thursdays).

It looks like we might not have a session tomorrow as three players are missing. Admittedly that still leaves me with four players (!)

Remove ads