Warforged and Liches???

GrandArchon

First Post
Just an interesting questioned that popped into my mind while considering the concept of a Warforged Necromancer. Now, of course, DMs get to house rule things like this (and from experience, Lichdom and wether or not PCs can achieve it has always been something heavily house-ruled), but I was wondering if there was already some rule or passage that states if Warforged can become Liches and what happens to their bodies if they do? I assumed that they could, and that their biological components (wood and fiber) would simply rot away leaving an empty but animated metal shell.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Strictly speaking, no. The lich template is humanoid only. Then there is the fact that they are immune to energy drain. But, the can be raised so there is something in there.

So, but most known ways, its generally not possible. But I had a warforged that was looking into unknown ways... :)

Glyfair

Explorer
stonegod said:
Strictly speaking, no. The lich template is humanoid only. Then there is the fact that they are immune to energy drain. But, the can be raised so there is something in there.

Yup. In fact, I don't believe there are any undead that warforged may become, by the RAW. Constructs just aren't targets for undead templates (otherwise you'd see undead golems).

Skeletons & Zombies might be allowed, depending on the definition of "creature with skeletal structure" but I think it's generally been shot down.

GrandArchon

First Post
D'oh.

stonegod said:

So, but most known ways, its generally not possible. But I had a warforged that was looking into unknown ways... :)

*Checks the source books*

:):):):) it.

You're right. Warforged are constructs with the living construct sub-type, so with a humanoid template only... Oh well. Lichdom isn't the only way to diefication. More than one way to skin a halfling, if you catch my meaning. I'll just have to make him a very unpleasant generalist wizard then. But thank you for the clarification.

Shayuri

First Post
One question. Why?

Warforged are already immortal, which is the primary reason it seems most casters become liches. Better yet, they don't have LA...which hits spellcasters hard.

Granted, liches do come back after dying...but there's ways warforged can cheat for similar effects (Clone, Contingent Raises or Rezzes, etc). A Gm might even let a warforged create a phylactery (for a similar cost and LA as a lich) and get the infinite comebacks that liches enjoy. Whether or not they get the other lich goodies, and how that affects the LA, is an exercise for the GM and player. :)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
GrandArchon said:
Yeah, it was for the phylactery and the Lich goodies. I know about clone- But what are Contingent Raises and Rezzes?
Contingency spells tied to raise deads or resurrections.

Drowbane

First Post
Night of the Unliving Constructs!

GrandArchon said:
*Checks the source books*

Deathmaster (Dragon Compendium vol 1), much like the Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) gives Lichdom as its level 20. However, unlike the Dread Necromancer, the Deathmaster's ability specifies that its Lichdom ignores the humanoid requirement of the template.

So you have to be C/E and worship Orcus? Some might consider those perks :p

Shayuri

First Post
I was actually thinking Raise Dead or Resurrection crafted as a contingent spell...a theurge of some kind of could put Raise Dead on Contingency, but Rezz has too high a level.

Craft Contingent Spell and a handy cleric cohort though...now we're talking. :)

Remove ads