D&D 5E Warforged Disguise Kit

tglassy

Adventurer
I can’t find this information anywhere, and I’m surprised that nobody has brought it up. In the Eberron Races UA, the Warforged Envoy can have a tool integrated into its body. It even gives an example of Masque, a Warforged built with an integrated Disguise Kit, who is a Rogue and an assassin.

My question is, can a Warforged use a Disguise Kit to pass himself off as a human?

I’m currently creating a Warforged Artificer, and I want him to be able to pass himself off as human. He can use Disguise Self, and Alter self later, and can eventually get a Hat of Disguise, but we are starting at lvl 1, and what I basically want is that he was created to be The Terminator. He disguises himself as human, or humanoid, and gets into his target’s home base, and then breaks out the big guns (going with Artillerist for blasty power) to eliminate his target.

Or at least, that’s what he was designed to do. He grew a consciousness, and then a conscience, and escaped his creators. (The setting is not Eberron, it’s a home brew setting.)

The developers said that the tools could be different than the usual tools, they just function the same way. Would having a shapeshifting skin like the T-X work in this case? Or would you, as the DM, not allow the disguise to work? I’m thinking he needs a variation of the Charleton Background so he can have a ready made disguise, and he will likely take the Actor Feat at some point, assuming I roll his stats well enough to warrant that.

(Note, I know an Assassin Rogue would be more thematic, but I like the idea of him having a ton of gadgets and gizmos that people see as magic. Thorn Whip grappling hook, Disguise Self holo emitters, Fire Ball grenade launcher...)

Yes, I believe it is actually given as an example for a warforged envoy character in wayfinder's Guide.

"Masque is an infiltrator. A rogue with the charlatan background and an integrated disguise kit, she was built to blend in and assassinate. Cannith built six warforged of her design, and Masque has vowed to hunt down and destroy the other five."

Al2O3

Explorer
If it is intended to blend in as a human I would probably (as a DM) look into how this particular warforged might be made more humanlike from the start. Maybe some stuffing to fill out and soften some features, making it more like a mannequin or doll with a warforged core. Wax faces or similar to seem more human.

If you Google for human-like robots I would expect there to be some video about how to build cheekbones, skin and similar to appear more human. These materials would be included in the disguise kit, with some structures being permanent. Maybe teeth would be such a permanent part.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I personally would likely say such a disguise check would be at disadvantage. However, since this is a rogue, between expertise and reliable talent that penalty wouldn't even matter.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Mine is an Artificer, not a Rogue, but it does get expertise in the Disguise kit.

You know, thinking about it a bit more, I'd say any average warforged would have disadvantage with disguise kit checks to pass as a different race, due to they limited range of affectation. But for an envoy warforged that chooses a disguise kit as their racial tool, that seems too punitive. I'd allow them to use it without penalty. I imagine they are built differently to have more articulations that allow for them to show a greater range of emotion.

Remove ads