D&D 5E Warforged Disguise Kit

neogod22

Explorer
I would say no. He could easily pass as another warforged, which should be sufficient, but to look human, he would need magic. From a distance of you're wearing a hat, you may be mistaken as human. People need to use common sense with these things. A disguise kit is really just a make up kit with maybe some things like fake hair you can use for a moustache and beard, a wig, and maybe some fake elf ears or teeth, and the like.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I would say no. He could easily pass as another warforged, which should be sufficient, but to look human, he would need magic. From a distance of you're wearing a hat, you may be mistaken as human. People need to use common sense with these things. A disguise kit is really just a make up kit with maybe some things like fake hair you can use for a moustache and beard, a wig, and maybe some fake elf ears or teeth, and the like.

I would agree with you if it were a normal disguise kit. Perhaps you are not familiar, but the Envoy Warforged presented in the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron gets a built-in tool that they are proficient in. Think Robocop when he has his hand change to interface with computers, or R2D2 with its multitool. So I would say an Envoy Warforged using a disguise kit would be more similar to that awkward seen in Transformers 2 with the college student revealing she was a Decepticon. It's not like using make-up and glasses and wigs, but something much more sophisticated. And since warforged are creatures of magic that are built for a particular purpose (with infiltration and espionage being a legitimate need during something like the Last War), it seems well within reasonable expectations.

Plus, can't forget rule of cool and rule of fun. Why nerf a racial ability to the point that it becomes basically useless?

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
I would agree with you if it were a normal disguise kit. Perhaps you are not familiar, but the Envoy Warforged presented in the Wayfarer's Guide to Eberron gets a built in tool that they are proficient it. Think Robocop when he has his hand change to interface with computers, or R2D2 with its multitool. So I would say an Envoy Warforged using a disguise kit would be more similar to that awkward seen in Transformers 2 with the college co-ed revealing she was a Decepticon. It's not like using make-up and glasses and wigs, but something much more sophisticated. And since warforged are creatures of magic that are built for a particular purpose (with infiltration and espionage being a legitimate need during something like the Last War), it seems well within reasonable expectations.

Plus, can't forget rule of cool and rule of fun. Why nerf a racial ability to the point that it becomes basically useless?
I'm not really that familiar with Ebboron at all actually, but that actually would be kond of cool if they could transform to look like other races, but doing that will essentially just make them better changelings. Also I feel like warforges would be common enough that they could diguise themselves to look like other warforges and actually be able to hide in a lot of situations.

tglassy

Adventurer
I had thought of making him look like this guy:

This way, the skin of the Disguise only has to cover his eyes and hands. But I feel like, if a Warforge, like Masque, the example, was created as an infiltrator to make his way into an enemy territory and kill something, it would have to pass as human more than just by covering up his entire body.

I still may go with that look, though, cause it’s awesome. He can use Disguise Self if he’s afraid someone will force him to remove his mask.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
I'm not really that familiar with Ebboron at all actually, but that actually would be kond of cool if they could transform to look like other races, but doing that will essentially just make them better changelings. Also I feel like warforges would be common enough that they could diguise themselves to look like other warforges and actually be able to hide in a lot of situations.

I have a few thoughts. First, while there are a lot of Warforged in Eberron, I would not say they are common or make up a significant portion of the population. Especially since the Treaty of Thronehold required the destruction of all remaining creation forges and the creation of any new warforged is illegal. We tend to think because we as players may see a lot of people making warforged characters that there must be a lot of them. However, PCs are always the exceptions rather than the rule when it comes to how they compare to the general populace of a given game world. So a person in Eberron, especially those outside of large cities, could probably go their whole lives and count on one hand the number of individual Warforged they have seen. This combined with general racism towards Warforged (as many don't see or recognize them as sentient creatures but rather tools/weapons of war) and a difficulty telling warforged apart (due to both a racist attitude and an innate difficulty, since I doubt many people have a built-in schema to recognize artificial creatures that only recently emerged into the world) would make it largely unnecessary to need much for one warforged to pass as another. I think most people in Eberron wouldn't be able to tell warforged apart, and for those that could hiding or altering the appearance of a warforged's Ghulra on their forehead would likely be sufficient. Thus it makes little sense and likely wouldn't come up in a normal game for one warforged to need to pass as another. And even if it did, it would not be a difficult task that would require specialized training or materials.

The second thought is regarding changelings. And while this does create competition, I would say changelings are still superior. A Warforged with a built-in disguise kit could not change the texture or feel of their metal skin, and under scrutiny would fail much more often than a changeling. But we are also talking about specialized individuals versus general talent. The average changeling is way more skilled in disguise than the average... anyone. But someone that specializes in disguise, such as an illusionist, transmuter, assassin, or even a warforged envoy with a racial disguise kit could likely equal or even beat an average changeling in the art of disguise.

Last edited:

To me, it depends on distance. At 100 yards sure, at 2 feet in a long conversation... DC would be very high and I might give disadvantage as well.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain

I'd suggest its more akin to a pared down version of what we get on show like Face/Off. So with enough skill and effort you can pass as another gender or race of similar size. Quick one off is going to make you look like any other warforged, with more effort a reasonable facsimile of an elf is possible but I'd suggest the later is going to take a few hours.

The rules for a disguise kit include a few props and dyes, so a few props could be cosmetics and a clay to fill in or build false features.

ccs

41st lv DM
Lol why do I get a backflash on the first terminator movie now (several scenes come into my mind)

Because you read the tglassy's initial post?
Afterall, 7 lines in, the OP specifically told you that's exactly what they were envisioning....

Coroc

Hero
Because you read the tglassy's initial post?
Afterall, 7 lines in, the OP specifically told you that's exactly what they were envisioning....

No I rather thought on some specific scenes, the one where he gets his clothing, or the one where he has to chose an appropriate answer, and it always ends up with Arnie being as "undiplomatic" as possible, and I thought hm yea the hefty DC on those social skills when you are basically a robot disguised as human :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases