Warforged, Kender, Multiverses, & Errata - An Eclectic News Summary!

WotC's Mike Mearls has confirmed that the D&D website articles will be starting up again - and that we should expect top see Warforged very soon. In response to a question about Warforged and Kender, he says "Yes, warforged will be up first - jury duty has messed with our plans, but stuff is moving along." In other news, Jeremy Crawford commented on the "default" setting of D&D and on upcoming errata documents slated for Spring.

WotC's Mike Mearls has confirmed that the D&D website articles will be starting up again - and that we should expect top see Warforged very soon. In response to a question about Warforged and Kender, he says "Yes, warforged will be up first - jury duty has messed with our plans, but stuff is moving along." In other news, Jeremy Crawford commented on the "default" setting of D&D and on upcoming errata documents slated for Spring.

He also commented briefly on the Adventurer's Guide rumours of later, confirming that "yes, the material will be available in the free PDF download" ; while some of the material in that download will also appear in the Princes of the Apocalypse hardcover, "there will be some exclusive stuff in the download". Regarding PotA, he says "I *think* it's in the 256 - 320 range - can't remember off the top of my head" - which sounds broad, as I mentioned to him, but he responded that "it's not so wide when you think in 32 page increments!" That's not all that's on his mind these days - we already know Chris Perkins is working on something slated for 2016, and Mike Mearls says that "I have the stuff we're doing in 2017 much more front of mind these days!"

[lq]Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds.[/lq]

In other bite sized items, WotC's Jeremy Crawford commented on the concept of a "default" setting for D&D. "Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds. The worlds occupy pockets of the Material Plane—sort of like planets but in a space shaped by magic and divine forces." This ties in with what Chris Perkins is working on for 2016, which he has previously stated as being non-Realms material.

Errata documents are also being prepared. Crawford confirms it -- "Errata documents are definitely on the way, starting with the Player's Handbook. They'll start coming out before the spring." He also commented briefly on the recent "announced/not announced" thing, indicating that "We won't announce products until they're ready. We do consider Greyhawk and others to be in 5E; they're in the core books!"

dm4hire

Explorer
I for one hope they keep the player info in the free PDF so there is no reason for the players to buy the PotA book. I understand it will lower sells, but as a GM I don't like my players having access to the stuff I am running. That said I also hope that all the free stuff finds its way into print form, similar to how TSR use to do the "Best of Dragon" books compiling all the best articles into one book.

One option I am wondering is if there would be a market for print on demand conversion info or at least PDFs that would update key settings. As pointed out if they kept the core material of some products unchanged and just changed the stat blocks and edition specific material they could easily make books available again pretty fast. I wonder how copyright law would affected a 3P if they just released that info and didn't add anything from the actual product (so you would have a page that said "on page X of product Y replace the stat blocks for Orc with this stat block) and sell it for a minor fee like $3-5?

While I enjoy them making the core setting the "multiverse" I only hope that the book being mentioned for 2016 isn't just a brief write up of all the different settings that have already existed. I thought the campaign books for 4e had been stripped down to a very bland setting description that took away from the story feel since there wasn't as much detailed information in each book compared to past editions. Piling them all into one book would take that even further by limiting how much information could be given about each setting specifically. I also hope we don't get something wonky, such as taking the old April Fools joke of the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk actually being on the same planet to heart.

I for one hope they keep the player info in the free PDF so there is no reason for the players to buy the PotA book. I understand it will lower sells, but as a GM I don't like my players having access to the stuff I am running. That said I also hope that all the free stuff finds its way into print form, similar to how TSR use to do the "Best of Dragon" books compiling all the best articles into one book.

One option I am wondering is if there would be a market for print on demand conversion info or at least PDFs that would update key settings. As pointed out if they kept the core material of some products unchanged and just changed the stat blocks and edition specific material they could easily make books available again pretty fast. I wonder how copyright law would affected a 3P if they just released that info and didn't add anything from the actual product (so you would have a page that said "on page X of product Y replace the stat blocks for Orc with this stat block) and sell it for a minor fee like $3-5?

While I enjoy them making the core setting the "multiverse" I only hope that the book being mentioned for 2016 isn't just a brief write up of all the different settings that have already existed. I thought the campaign books for 4e had been stripped down to a very bland setting description that took away from the story feel since there wasn't as much detailed information in each book compared to past editions. Piling them all into one book would take that even further by limiting how much information could be given about each setting specifically. I also hope we don't get something wonky, such as taking the old April Fools joke of the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk actually being on the same planet to heart.
It is confirmed that all the player info with exclusive stuff will be in the PDF>.

Dire Bare

Legend
It is confirmed that all the player info with exclusive stuff will be in the PDF>.

Is it? I don't think so. The material that would have been in the Adventurer's Handbook will be released in two places, a free PDF and the hardcover Elemental Evil adventure book. That doesn't mean that those two sources will have the exact same material, it's possible that some player options will be exclusive to the hardcover, and some exclusive to the PDF. I mean, I hope they don't do that, it would be silly . . . . but the oddly specific wording in the announcement certainly made my brain go there.

Is it? I don't think so. The material that would have been in the Adventurer's Handbook will be released in two places, a free PDF and the hardcover Elemental Evil adventure book. That doesn't mean that those two sources will have the exact same material, it's possible that some player options will be exclusive to the hardcover, and some exclusive to the PDF. I mean, I hope they don't do that, it would be silly . . . . but the oddly specific wording in the announcement certainly made my brain go there.

They have confirmed that the PDF will both include all of the player content from Princes of the Apocalypse and exclusive material not found in Princes of the Apocalypse.

lkj

Hero

While one should always take care with the vagaries of the character limit on twitter, the following exchange on Mike Mearls feed:

Question for Mike: "Question can you tell us the reason why the EE Adventurers Handbook is not coming out anymore. Will we still get the material?"

‏Mike's answer: "yes, the material will be available in the free PDF download"

Seems to suggest that material will be in the download. In other places, they say that the download will have some exclusive material not in the printed versions-- again implying that all the player material from the printed book will be in the download.

AD

Mirtek

Hero
and they've not had time to release stuff.
They had. All they had to do was put PoA into Greyhawk but they'd rather put their time into making it yet another FR release (Dead in Thay, Scourge of the Swordcoast, Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle, Murder in Baldurs Gate, Tyranny of Dragons and soon Princes of the Apocalypse). So far their actions have made FR the default setting even if they claim otherwise

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Very keen to see the new column. I love warforged and kender and will promptly swap them for dragonborn and halflings in my world. Also glad some errata is incoming, interested to see what they think needs tweaking ( I expect a very short list).

Remove ads

Remove ads