Warforged, Kender, Multiverses, & Errata - An Eclectic News Summary!

WotC's Mike Mearls has confirmed that the D&D website articles will be starting up again - and that we should expect top see Warforged very soon. In response to a question about Warforged and Kender, he says "Yes, warforged will be up first - jury duty has messed with our plans, but stuff is moving along." In other news, Jeremy Crawford commented on the "default" setting of D&D and on upcoming errata documents slated for Spring.

He also commented briefly on the Adventurer's Guide rumours of later, confirming that "yes, the material will be available in the free PDF download" ; while some of the material in that download will also appear in the Princes of the Apocalypse hardcover, "there will be some exclusive stuff in the download". Regarding PotA, he says "I *think* it's in the 256 - 320 range - can't remember off the top of my head" - which sounds broad, as I mentioned to him, but he responded that "it's not so wide when you think in 32 page increments!" That's not all that's on his mind these days - we already know Chris Perkins is working on something slated for 2016, and Mike Mearls says that "I have the stuff we're doing in 2017 much more front of mind these days!"

[lq]Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds.[/lq]

In other bite sized items, WotC's Jeremy Crawford commented on the concept of a "default" setting for D&D. "Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds. The worlds occupy pockets of the Material Plane—sort of like planets but in a space shaped by magic and divine forces." This ties in with what Chris Perkins is working on for 2016, which he has previously stated as being non-Realms material.

Errata documents are also being prepared. Crawford confirms it -- "Errata documents are definitely on the way, starting with the Player's Handbook. They'll start coming out before the spring." He also commented briefly on the recent "announced/not announced" thing, indicating that "We won't announce products until they're ready. We do consider Greyhawk and others to be in 5E; they're in the core books!"

CasvalRemDeikun

Adventurer
I can't complain about free stuff. I kinda hope they compile it all in a book later on, though. I am not very keen on Errata, since they were big on it in 4E and it made the books almost worthless. Maybe a clarification here and there, but more than that is just asking for problems.

I can't wait for the Warforged and Kender. I wonder if it will just be the races in the articles when they hit, or if there will be more. I could see the Warforged having some items in it or even a process for upgrading the plating on a character. The Kender might have all the Kender weapons (Hoopaks and Chapaks and whatnot) but also maybe a pouch grab table. Hopefully we will see more races as time goes on, like the Shifter and Changeling from Eberron or Draconian or Minotaur from Dragonlance.

Queer Venger

Dungeon Master is my Dad
Free is good! It sounds like the Adventuer's handbook is being folded into PotA, which sounds to be a big book. Nice to hear that all the D&D worlds are now official settings, it'll make many players/dm's happy. Maybe Perkins is working on a big Multiverse book for 2016.

mamol

Explorer
Sounds great. At first I was kinda disappointed due to the low release schedule, but honestly I never used all those tons of splatbooks or better said only used like 10% of a lot of books but could have sticked to the core rules for most of the time.
I also hope there won't be big errata flooding in, I hate scribbling into new books, especiallz when they are as gorgeous as the 5th core rules. I'm not sure if you really need exotic races like shifters. In my opinion dozens of races only give you the illusion of having a lot to choose from, in fact most people are having problems playing even common fantasy races like dwarfs or elves, so I as a DM don't see a big benefit in more races (for NPCs I just do reskinning).

I really appreciate the free PDF, but being "forced" to buy a whole campaign to get the stuff in a printed version is not what I like best. In fact it would have been better if they did the adventure in a more modular manner, or at least give hints how to get into the campaign at different. Levels. But the free PDF is really nice for my players ;)

MartyW

Explorer
Crawford's statement is a bit of a dodge.

Yes, 5e supports the "multiverse" concept, but all the Adventure League content and official release modules are set in the Forgotten Realms. That pretty much makes it the default because the adventures are tied to political forces in the Forgotten Realms (Zhentarim, Waterdeep, Thay... etc).

Sure, the adventures could be adapted to any setting with a bit of work if you file off the serial numbers, but to say that Forgotten Realms is "not the default" is misleading.

machinelf

First Post
I'd love to hear when they plan on releasing the edition conversion guides... over the summer they were saying it would be in the fall... so...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases