Warforged, Kender, Multiverses, & Errata - An Eclectic News Summary!

WotC's Mike Mearls has confirmed that the D&D website articles will be starting up again - and that we should expect top see Warforged very soon. In response to a question about Warforged and Kender, he says "Yes, warforged will be up first - jury duty has messed with our plans, but stuff is moving along." In other news, Jeremy Crawford commented on the "default" setting of D&D and on upcoming errata documents slated for Spring.

WotC's Mike Mearls has confirmed that the D&D website articles will be starting up again - and that we should expect top see Warforged very soon. In response to a question about Warforged and Kender, he says "Yes, warforged will be up first - jury duty has messed with our plans, but stuff is moving along." In other news, Jeremy Crawford commented on the "default" setting of D&D and on upcoming errata documents slated for Spring.

He also commented briefly on the Adventurer's Guide rumours of later, confirming that "yes, the material will be available in the free PDF download" ; while some of the material in that download will also appear in the Princes of the Apocalypse hardcover, "there will be some exclusive stuff in the download". Regarding PotA, he says "I *think* it's in the 256 - 320 range - can't remember off the top of my head" - which sounds broad, as I mentioned to him, but he responded that "it's not so wide when you think in 32 page increments!" That's not all that's on his mind these days - we already know Chris Perkins is working on something slated for 2016, and Mike Mearls says that "I have the stuff we're doing in 2017 much more front of mind these days!"

[lq]Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds.[/lq]

In other bite sized items, WotC's Jeremy Crawford commented on the concept of a "default" setting for D&D. "Does the D&D tabletop RPG have one official setting? The answer is yes. That setting is the multiverse, which includes all D&D worlds. The worlds occupy pockets of the Material Plane—sort of like planets but in a space shaped by magic and divine forces." This ties in with what Chris Perkins is working on for 2016, which he has previously stated as being non-Realms material.

Errata documents are also being prepared. Crawford confirms it -- "Errata documents are definitely on the way, starting with the Player's Handbook. They'll start coming out before the spring." He also commented briefly on the recent "announced/not announced" thing, indicating that "We won't announce products until they're ready. We do consider Greyhawk and others to be in 5E; they're in the core books!"

Barantor

Explorer
Crawford's statement is a bit of a dodge.

Yes, 5e supports the "multiverse" concept, but all the Adventure League content and official release modules are set in the Forgotten Realms. That pretty much makes it the default because the adventures are tied to political forces in the Forgotten Realms (Zhentarim, Waterdeep, Thay... etc).

It was a bit of a dodge, but it prevents a lot of bad blowback if they want to do a later Adventurer's League chain in Greyhawk, Dark Sun, etc.

Nothing is preventing them from using other settings in the future of the League.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Crawford's statement is a bit of a dodge.

Yes, 5e supports the "multiverse" concept, but all the Adventure League content and official release modules are set in the Forgotten Realms. That pretty much makes it the default because the adventures are tied to political forces in the Forgotten Realms (Zhentarim, Waterdeep, Thay... etc).

Sure, the adventures could be adapted to any setting with a bit of work if you file off the serial numbers, but to say that Forgotten Realms is "not the default" is misleading.

So far; it is not really a dodge at all. The core books have been quite clear that all the multiverse is "default.". Greyhawk, Ebereon and Dragonlance get equal screen time in the PHB, and the DMG has everything.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
GURPS What?

From late 1E through 2E, the multiverse, with Oerth, Toril, etc, all surrounded by the Great Wheel, was essentially the default setting.

In the early days, it was also one prime material plane with many worlds. But then we had multiple prime material planes. Then we had crystal spheres that you could take ships in between. Then we went back to parallel planes....Only in 3E did we have Greyhawk as the default in the PHB, and the option of different cosmologies. 4E backed away from the different cosmologies.

We have basically come full circle, to one material plane with the various worlds, including implicitly the various home-brew worlds, in it. This bit is interesting: "pockets of the Material Plane—sort of like planets but in a space shaped by magic and divine forces." This allows for varying degrees of magic, technology, influence by particular divinities...without invoking the need for every world to have its own vast universe around it.

Of course, I like this as it is exactly how I ran my last campaign. So I am glad they finally caught up with me.

Barantor

Explorer
If they have the multiverse it does mean that adding Spelljammer in as well as Sigil is easier. Alternate rules for planeswalkers and sailors that can be applied to every setting? Yes please.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If they have the multiverse it does mean that adding Spelljammer in as well as Sigil is easier. Alternate rules for planeswalkers and sailors that can be applied to every setting? Yes please.

Sigil's already been added. It's talked about in the DMG of exactly where it is located in the 5E cosmology.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I haven't given up hope yet, but the more time that passes (and the more iconic elements of other worlds get shoehorned into FR) the more worried I become that, "the core setting of D&D5 is the multiverse," is another way of saying, "your only limits are those of your imagination."

Yeah, well, that and $5 will buy me a chai at Starbucks.

I don't want to see settings rehashed in D&D5 for the sake of rehashing them, but I also don't want to see new material only coming out for FR. And I'm a recent FR convert! If the setting is the multiverse, then let the published content reflect that.

I'm a big fan of the proposal, but now I want something tangible I can continue to believe in. Moving the Temple of Elemental Evil to the Sword Coast -- even if it's "not the same temple" -- is a tough thing to justify with their previous statements.

Barantor

Explorer
Sigil's already been added. It's talked about in the DMG of exactly where it is located in the 5E cosmology.

Yes but I mean modules specifically detailing it to a greater degree than what is presented in the DMG.

They could make a "City of Doors: Sigil" book and it would mesh with every setting they can put in. They can even add in "You can use this book to connect to any world that is part of the multiverse, etc, etc".

smiteworks

Explorer
I loved the concept of the multi-verse and applied it with Spelljammer to include official and home-brew worlds all mixed together. This time around, I will probably look at using Sigil instead in my campaigns. A strict adherence to some form of fan approved canon for my campaigns is pretty much the farthest thing from how I run my games. If it makes you happy to run your games that way, then by all means go ahead. If all it does it get you bent out of shape when the canon changes, then I'd suggest rethinking how important it really is to you.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yes but I mean modules specifically detailing it to a greater degree than what is presented in the DMG.

They could make a "City of Doors: Sigil" book and it would mesh with every setting they can put in. They can even add in "You can use this book to connect to any world that is part of the multiverse, etc, etc".

Sure, they *could*... but there's already a ton of stuff in 2E, 3E, and 4E about and for Sigil in all kinds of various books. At what point is just rewriting and reprinting information that many of us already own and have on our shelves worth it to WotC spending the money on to reproduce? What could possibly be added to a potential aide *besides* a handful of monsters and NPCs whose statblocks are in 5E style?

It's the same reason why I don't really see a need for a new Eberron Campaign Setting for instance. Sure, stats for the Eberron races and specific mechanical things like dragonmarks would be really useful-- that's a definite. But the actual *campaign setting*? If the timeline doesn't advance, the entire book would just be a reprint of exactly what was already fleshed out in detail in the 3E and 4E Eberron books. Nothing much would be gained over just directing people to dndclassics.com to pick up one of the prior edition's guides and telling them to use that (plus these player mechanics we'll offer for free on the website so you can fully create your Eberron characters.)

Barantor

Explorer
Sure, they *could*... but there's already a ton of stuff in 2E, 3E, and 4E about and for Sigil in all kinds of various books. At what point is just rewriting and reprinting information that many of us already own and have on our shelves worth it to WotC spending the money on to reproduce? What could possibly be added to a potential aide *besides* a handful of monsters and NPCs whose statblocks are in 5E style?

It's the same reason why I don't really see a need for a new Eberron Campaign Setting for instance. Sure, stats for the Eberron races and specific mechanical things like dragonmarks would be really useful-- that's a definite. But the actual *campaign setting*? If the timeline doesn't advance, the entire book would just be a reprint of exactly what was already fleshed out in detail in the 3E and 4E Eberron books. Nothing much would be gained over just directing people to dndclassics.com to pick up one of the prior edition's guides and telling them to use that (plus these player mechanics we'll offer for free on the website so you can fully create your Eberron characters.)

They are already redoing Elemental Evil and if this is like ToEE or Return to ToEE it will be the 3rd iteration of it... so what is the point in that?

They could wrap spelljammer and sigil into a book that is just a big "sailing across the multiverse" book that covers not only the adventure but how to run a game in that setting. It would be interesting since spelljammer hasn't really been updated that much. I know I don't have that info on my shelves since I didn't get into it the first time, but I would be tempted this time.

Honestly we could all just be playing 2E and using DnDclassics if we didn't care about new 5E products?

Remove ads

Remove ads