• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhammer 3e Demo Experiences -OR- How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bits

arscott

First Post
But just the basics involves picking out the right set of dice from 6 different kinds, and then interpreting the results from 8 different symbols? (I think those numbers are correct?) It's not as bad as I had initially feared - being able to pair off most of the results so that you only have to deal with successes or failures and banes or boons certainly helps, but that's still pretty involved for a single die roll. In combat I know that handles both hit / miss and damage, but I can do the same thing in 4e by making an impromptu "die pool" out of my d20 and whatever I need for damage dice. I think the real question is going to be how much "action" a single die roll encompasses.
Once you've learned the basics, the different kinds of die don't really factor into the difficulty of assembling the dice pool. You just grab dice for your characteristic and stance, dice for your skill, and dice for spending fortune. The fact that some of those are blue, some red or green, some yellow and some white just becomes second nature by the end of a session.

It seems to me that each die roll is meant to be more interesting / meaningful; if that's the case can we expect to be making fewer rolls overall? I'm also wondering about the odds: how likely is it for a typical roll to succeed? That's probably a lot more important in combat, where a miss means a longer fight and more rolling.
misses are surprisingly rare in combat (maybe one in four attacks miss), and combat is over pretty quickly.

(One thing that kind of bothers me, if I've got this right, is that "reckless" dice apparently have several negative options not on normal / conservative dice, but still have the same total number of successes - they're just bunched up. Wouldn't that tend to make the reckless stance strictly worse than any other?)
The reckless dice have banes on them, but they also have more boons than the conservative die. Both the reckless and conservative dice have their special drawback symbols (exertion and delay respectively) while the characteristic dice do not, but they also have more successes.

I'd be interested to know if there is (or can be) any story built in to the process of gathering / rolling the dice. My worry is that the extra complication on that end of the process is going to end up overshadowing any extra cool story bits.
I've found it useful to narrate the circumstances as I gather up the dice pool--describing how the darkness makes spotting a target difficult as I assign a misfortune die to an archer's attack, or describing an opponent's attack as exceptionally skillful as I spend their expertise. I think it works especially well when I describe how the side effect of some previous action (boons or banes on previous checks that went unspent at the time) now aids or hinders their current attempt (fortune or misfortune dice).

One last thing - how does managing all of the cards work out in actual play? [...] I'm especially worried about conditions and critical wounds, since that's the kind of thing that's liable to end up getting missed, and going back and retroactively applying them is gonna kinda suck...
Critical wounds are the only thing I see causing problems here, being fairly common and relatively minor in effect. Conditions are rare enough and powerful enough that they won't be forgotten. Haven't seen enough insanities in play to know how they'll work out, and as you mention, the limit on talents make them easy to track.

How integrated is the setting into the system?
Could I use the game for another fantasy setting, like FR or Eberron?
The magic of WFRP is rare and setting specific. While I could see using this to run Greyhawk, FR and Eberron are both a little bit too high-magic to thrive under these rules.

Mark Theurer

First Post
I have it and am still reading / learning, but if you're ok with the dice system, careers intstead of levels and having to build all of the D&D monsters for WFRP3 then I think it would be ok. It's very far over on the abstract side of things rather than the tactical nature of D4, though. We've been playing D4 since it came out and I love it for what it is. I have a feeling that our sub-group that will be playing WFRP3 will also love it for what it is.

So, back to your original question, I don't feel that the system is tied to the setting. By default magic is more scarce in WFRP3 but you can either leave it like that or just choose to ramp it up a bit. Also, for now, only humans can be what you'd know as clerics or wizards.

Mark

One quick question for anyone that has the game:

Asmor

First Post
One quick question for anyone that has the game:

They're not really integrated, aside from tone (to wit: Warhammer is a dark and grim setting, and combat in this game is appropriately brutal and unforgiving).

Some of the careers aren't exactly generic (e.g. Troll Slayer), but they're pretty easily transplantable to any setting. The races, however, certainly are generic, and it should be pretty simple to create new races for the game.

If I do end up running an ongoing campaign with the system, I'm going to be setting it in Azeroth (the setting for Warcraft, which I find appropriate since Warcraft owes its origins to Warhammer...)

AllisterH

First Post
Yet all of those 'tons of dice and rules' fit on a single picture. Interesting trick :)

*Heh*

I fully admit.

I just don't like "buckets of dice" game and 8 dice are 3 over my limit...

Even when I'm playing D&D and it calls for "roll 10d6", I will only roll 4d6 and add 21 to it.

It's irrational but I think Vampire 1st edition permanently scarred me...:D

*Heh*

I fully admit.

Even when I'm playing D&D and it calls for "roll 10d6", I will only roll 4d6 and add 21 to it.

It's irrational but I think Vampire 1st edition permanently scarred me...:D
Dang. My proposed Shadowrun Fix would have cut the dice pool at 8 dice, anything more is converted 3 to 1 to successes. Seems that cutoff point is still too large for part of my hypothetical audience.

Filcher

First Post
Well, Asmor's convinced me to buy a copy of WH3E. I don't have it yet, but I already wish you could buy more dice separate for the core rules. Amazon willing, it should arrive in time for a couple new years games.

Trolls

First Post
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm very close to buying this game. I think I'd enjoy it, but I will have to find some players up for it. Which leads me to my next question:

How well would the game work play-by-post, assuming an appropriate dice roller can be found?
It looks like it'd be much easier to do than D&D 4E, given less reliance on tactical positioning. Does that sound about right?

arscott

First Post
The more abstract combat will certainly make PbP go a little bit smoother, and given how initiative works there will be a lot less of waiting around for player X's turn.

The difficulties are in handling the game specific randomizers (dice pool, critical wounds deck, miscast deck, etc.) and, of course, that each player would need their own copy of the $100 game.

That said, assuming you have a decent gaming community, I don't think you'll have too much trouble finding players. I've run a few one shots for friends and at gamedays, and everyone who's played showed some interest in contiuning the adventure in an ongoing campaign.

Jhaelen

First Post

Now, that's something I can empathize with!

For me that was one of the selling points when D&D 4e was initially announced. Unfortunately, I had to find out they did not get rid of rolling buckets of dice at all. Then again, some of my players really seem to enjoy getting to roll lots of dice *sigh*.

I don't think actual dice pool systems are that bad, though. They are still reasonably quick to resolve since you don't need to add up the numbers (or symbols) - you're just counting them. They may get annoying if they also use exploding dice, though...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads