Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Soulbound: Starter Set PDF Coming Monday

The PDF version of the Starter Set for Age of Sigmar: Soulbound, the latest Warhammer game from Cubicle 7 is set to be released this coming Monday, 28th September.

120107736_3177699402298804_4340315316661407080_o.jpg

According to Cubicle 7, the set includes an adventure designed to teach you the rules, a city guide to Brightspear, and eight one-page adventures. There's also a bunch of pregenerated characters, reference sheets, maps, dice, and tokens.

The main adventure is called Faltering Light. It intrigued the city of Brightspear, including the ancient citadel below it.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I have no interest in the setting. What I am curious about is if you can use this system to play a Teclis/Tyrion/Karl Franz/Balthasar/Green Knight/etc style of game in the Old World. WFRP tends towards low spectrum play and doesn't really support characters of that scale so I wonder if this system can represent it well.

Jiggawatts

Adventurer
I guess I just see it as superfluous. The move also always struck me as odd and unwise, like can you imagine Warcraft abandoning Azeroth or Elder Scrolls abandoning Tamriel? Almost unfathomable.

Crusadius

Adventurer
I guess I just see it as superfluous. The move also always struck me as odd and unwise, like can you imagine Warcraft abandoning Azeroth or Elder Scrolls abandoning Tamriel? Almost unfathomable.

I too was puzzled at the move. My initial reaction to AOS was "Oh, its WH40K Space Marines ported over to a post-apocalyptic Old World" and dismissed it. My beloved WFRP was discarded and I didn't want anything to do with its replacement.

But the roleplaying game has changed my mind. The setting is different but has bits of WFRP scattered throughout. The system is pretty good and they included rules for making your own character archetypes and spells... so you do not need anything other than the core book.

And with WFRP back with a 4th Edition I now have 2 "warhammer" fantasy roleplaying games.

macd21

Adventurer

They needed to make it ‘real.’ They needed to convince players that yes, going forward AoS was going to be their 2nd game, that it wasn’t another Necromunda or Mordheim, that they really were dumping WFB. Given WFB hadn’t really been making them any money for years (by some accounts, not since the nineties), it makes sense from a purely financial point of view.

TheSword

Legend
I too have little to no engagement/excitement for the Age of Sigmar setting and it just feels like a contrivance made up to explain why two armies that make no sense together might be fighting...

... However I must concede that until the RPG and novels fleshed out the Old World in the 80’s and 90’s that original setting was also a contrivance made up to explain armies - just less fantastical and a bit more medieval.

I think for me I’ve pinned my colours to the mast and am Ride or Die for the Old World. I don’t blame people for giving this new world a chance though. I suspect it will end up being a generational thing.

aramis erak

Legend
They needed to make it ‘real.’ They needed to convince players that yes, going forward AoS was going to be their 2nd game, that it wasn’t another Necromunda or Mordheim, that they really were dumping WFB. Given WFB hadn’t really been making them any money for years (by some accounts, not since the nineties), it makes sense from a purely financial point of view.
Edition churn only goes so far; WFB managed to pretty well saturate its marketspace.

I only used WFB as an adjunct to WFRP 1E. So AoS hasn't held much interest for me. But I am curious about the RPG.

macd21

Adventurer
Edition churn only goes so far; WFB managed to pretty well saturate its marketspace.

I don’t think market saturation was the problem. WFB was just a terrible game format from a business point of view. The need for big, expensive armies put off new players, and the awkward manoeuvring of large formations of troops meant games were time consuming and fiddly. The release of Warmahordes was the final nail in the coffin - a competitor selling a fantasy war game that was a lot easier to get into and had fast, action packed gameplay.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases