Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 4th Edition

TheSword

Legend
I’ve found Warhammer 4e quite liberating as a DM. Things that wouldn’t even get attention in 5e become quite interesting in WFRP. I’m not sure why. It’s as if the setting has weight and gravity beyond what you expect. I think probably the preciousness of wounds and healing is part of it. Or that any combat could result in you getting your teeth knocked out. Either way, even simple activities seem to be funny and enjoyable. It’s a lot of fun.

Retreater

Legend
I’ve found Warhammer 4e quite liberating as a DM. Things that wouldn’t even get attention in 5e become quite interesting in WFRP. I’m not sure why. It’s as if the setting has weight and gravity beyond what you expect. I think probably the preciousness of wounds and healing is part of it. Or that any combat could result in you getting your teeth knocked out. Either way, even simple activities seem to be funny and enjoyable. It’s a lot of fun.
Or as my group discovered last night, someone jumping out of a first floor window can take 18 wounds and die from something I could likely survive uninjured in reality.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Or as my group discovered last night, someone jumping out of a first floor window can take 18 wounds and die from something I could likely survive uninjured in reality.
Yup (edit for clarity: I am agreeing with you that a first floor window jump is quite survivable)

... unless you landed on a sharp fence pole. naughty word happens ;)

Last edited:

aramis erak

Legend
IME, that's part of its appeal...
But another part is that it's a satirical parallel of early Renaissance Europe... So it's at once familiar and yet unknown. Exploring the differences was part of the appeal for several players I've run WFRP 1e/2e for.

TheSword

Legend
They died? That’s unlucky! Falling is 1d10+(Yards x 3) - Toughness Bonus. To get 18 after toughness they must have been high and rolled really bad on the d10 roll and then rolled really bad on the crit roll. And failed the athletics check to reduce the damage. Also did they not have any fate points left.

I’m sure the Pc could have survived the fall had they been less unlucky. Then again my step sisters dad, died falling off a ladder 4 yards high.

Retreater

Legend
They died? That’s unlucky! Falling is 1d10+(Yards x 3) - Toughness Bonus. To get 18 after toughness they must have been high and rolled really bad on the d10 roll and then rolled really bad on the crit roll. And failed the athletics check to reduce the damage. Also did they not have any fate points left.

I’m sure the Pc could have survived the fall had they been less unlucky. Then again my step sisters dad, died falling off a ladder 4 yards high.
They were 4 yards up, so it was a roll of 6 + 12 = 18 damage (a very average roll). We didn't get to the stage of deducting Toughness because they decided to burn Fate instead of risking death during the climactic encounter of the adventure for a very minor occurrence.
I mean, I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your step-sister's dad. I'm sure this thing happens in real life, but for an adventurer/hero/etc., someone trained to fight in battle, to roll something like that and die in their first battle, it's just sort of uncool - like having a character bleed to unconsciousness from a paper cut.

aramis erak

Legend
having dug into the text of Warlock last night... if one is put off by the complexity of WFRP 1/2/3/4 eds, Warlock is much simplified, and has, in its career fluff, a huge whack of resonance with WFRP in tone and setting.

But it's also strongly the opposite of WFRP 1e mechanically. WFRP 1E is STRONGLY attribute driven; Warlock is lacking attributes, being almost purely skills.

TheSword

Legend
They were 4 yards up, so it was a roll of 6 + 12 = 18 damage (a very average roll). We didn't get to the stage of deducting Toughness because they decided to burn Fate instead of risking death during the climactic encounter of the adventure for a very minor occurrence.
I mean, I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your step-sister's dad. I'm sure this thing happens in real life, but for an adventurer/hero/etc., someone trained to fight in battle, to roll something like that and die in their first battle, it's just sort of uncool - like having a character bleed to unconsciousness from a paper cut.
If they were jumping down they could have made an +20 Athletics test to reduce that damage by 3 plus 3 for every success level and if they got 3 SLs they would have taken no damage at all.

Even if they had taken the 18 wounds and it had taken them down to 0 wounds the chance of the fall killing them was, slim. Maybe break a leg or cut themself but also a good chance of being battered but able to continue - particularly with a fortune point.

I’m not trying to invalidate the experience or danger of falling, just to say that death would have been very unlikely and even if it did come up then the fate point could have been spent.

We had a player shoot their crossbow into combat in our last session the -20 banding rule came in and the bounty hunter did -14 damage to the Riverwarden’s back. Ironic as the riverwarden had just fired her blunderbuss, not realizing what blast meant and near pin-cushioned the noble. They won’t be making that mistake again.

Remove ads