Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 4th Edition

I’ve recently gotten into the Total War: Warhammer series, and rather enjoy the world that was created, which I find surprising as I had always heard that Warhammer was grimdark to the extreme. I have also been looking at other systems to get ideas, especially as I’ve come to conclude that D&D isn’t really the best system for something that plays more akin to a fantasy novel. To that end, I am considering purchasing a copy of Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 4th Edition, but the sticker shock has me hesitant. Seeing as I’ve only ever played AD&D 2nd Edition through 5e, including the DragonLance Fifth Age, as well as some Palladium games (TMNT, HU, Rifts) and Shadowrun, what would those of you’ve who’ve played it think of it?

Try Zweihander. It is (openly) WH with the lore in a more manageable format and a very good actual game system.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
They were 4 yards up, so it was a roll of 6 + 12 = 18 damage (a very average roll). We didn't get to the stage of deducting Toughness because they decided to burn Fate instead of risking death during the climactic encounter of the adventure for a very minor occurrence.
I mean, I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your step-sister's dad. I'm sure this thing happens in real life, but for an adventurer/hero/etc., someone trained to fight in battle, to roll something like that and die in their first battle, it's just sort of uncool - like having a character bleed to unconsciousness from a paper cut.
Feel there are YouTube videos that can show everything that can go wrong with jumping. :)

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
They were 4 yards up, so it was a roll of 6 + 12 = 18 damage (a very average roll). We didn't get to the stage of deducting Toughness because they decided to burn Fate instead of risking death during the climactic encounter of the adventure for a very minor occurrence.
I mean, I'm very sorry to hear about the death of your step-sister's dad. I'm sure this thing happens in real life, but for an adventurer/hero/etc., someone trained to fight in battle, to roll something like that and die in their first battle, it's just sort of uncool - like having a character bleed to unconsciousness from a paper cut.
That is pretty much the nature of Warhammer. I ran a lot of 1e warhammer. It was fun for a certain value of fun but my conclusion was that take enough hits and you will die. It is pretty much a statistical inevitability.

Ixal

Hero
That is pretty much the nature of Warhammer. I ran a lot of 1e warhammer. It was fun for a certain value of fun but my conclusion was that take enough hits and you will die. It is pretty much a statistical inevitability.
There are several RPGs like that. Not in all games is combat and wounds as consequence free as in D&D. That sometimes catches players off guard especially when the system looks rather combat heavy from the outside. Warhammer is one of those, Shadowrun would be another.
In the end that means that in those games combat is often only the last option and you try to stack it i your favor as much as you can (combat as war), something discouraged in modern D&D.
So especially when you come from more combat happy systems like D&D or some supers system you need some time to adjust.

GuyBoy

Hero
If they were jumping down they could have made an +20 Athletics test to reduce that damage by 3 plus 3 for every success level and if they got 3 SLs they would have taken no damage at all.

Even if they had taken the 18 wounds and it had taken them down to 0 wounds the chance of the fall killing them was, slim. Maybe break a leg or cut themself but also a good chance of being battered but able to continue - particularly with a fortune point.

I’m not trying to invalidate the experience or danger of falling, just to say that death would have been very unlikely and even if it did come up then the fate point could have been spent.

We had a player shoot their crossbow into combat in our last session the -20 banding rule came in and the bounty hunter did -14 damage to the Riverwarden’s back. Ironic as the riverwarden had just fired her blunderbuss, not realizing what blast meant and near pin-cushioned the noble. They won’t be making that mistake again.
Speaking as the Witch Hunter in that campaign, I have spoken to them both assertively about the folly of making foolish mistakes whilst working for the cause of mighty Sigmar.
They will certainly not make the same mistake again, if they wish to continue to see the beauty of the sun in the sky.

GuyBoy

Hero
More seriously, the system is quite complex at first, but we play on Roll 20 which does most of the tough number-crunching for you.
I have grown to like the system and find it quite elegant, particularly as it seems a good fit with the Warhammer Old World setting.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Thread necromancy.

I have 1e and 2e. The magic system looks cool on a read in 2e as magic can get out of control. Does 4e offer anything really to make it a clear choice over an earlier edition?

Remove ads