• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
My local game store has the 1st edition of the game for fifteen dollars. Should I buy it? Or should I shell out another 15 bucks for a copy of the second edition?

Unfortunately, my best advice is "get them both".

If that's not feasible, I'd go for first edition at that price level. The two editions are by and large compatible, except for the rules for magic.

Of course, if you're lusting over the second edition tomes of corruption and salvation and the realms of sorcery book, I'd recommend you go for second edition.

Actually, if you're planning on getting more books for the game, go for second edition. Those supplements are more readily available at reasonable prices, and are also available as PDF:s.

But if you're only going for the one book, I'd say go for the 15 dollars option.

/m

Sanzuo

First Post
Since Emirikol brought up the Maptools thing for WFRP, which I think is pretty sweet, I'm going to add this to the op.

The Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay Maptool Project
This project's purpose is to encourage play of WFRP on Maptool by making it quick and easy for a GM to get a game started with little or now start-up work.

Here's how you do it:
1. Own the WFRP core rulebook (available as PDF at RPGnow.com)
2. Download Maptool version 1.3b56 or newer
3. Download a voice chat system such as Skype or Ventrillo
4. Download the campaign file (or any maptooled scenario) below and save it to your >.maptool>campaignthumb folder. If it's a zip, extract it.
5. Download the monster tokens below. Save it to your >.maptool>resources>default>tokens file folder. If it's a zip, extract them.
6. Download the guide to playing WFRP on Maptool below.

You're ready to go!

RPTools.net Forums • View topic - WFRP MAPTOOL PROJECT READY FOR PLAY (warhammer fantasy RP)

FriarRosing

First Post
Unfortunately, my best advice is "get them both".

If that's not feasible, I'd go for first edition at that price level. The two editions are by and large compatible, except for the rules for magic.

Of course, if you're lusting over the second edition tomes of corruption and salvation and the realms of sorcery book, I'd recommend you go for second edition.

Actually, if you're planning on getting more books for the game, go for second edition. Those supplements are more readily available at reasonable prices, and are also available as PDF:s.

But if you're only going for the one book, I'd say go for the 15 dollars option.

/m

I got the second edition book. I figured it wasn't that much more expensive, and the number of supplements kind of pushed me over the edge.

I've book looking over the game, and I'm pretty excited to play. I'll probably get my group to run it sometime this upcoming week.

Thanks for the advice!

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Thanks for the advice!

Here's some more advice, even though you didn't ask for it:

First things first: welcome to WFRP! An excellent choice!

1. You should also buy Sigmar's Heirs, to get a good picture of the Empire.

2. After that, go for Old World Bestiary, which contains more monsters (although I think it is totally possible to play with just the monsters in the core rulebook, the OWB is very useful).

3. Rather than buy an adventure, you should go here:

Fantasy Flight Games [Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay - Support] - Leading publisher of board, card, and roleplaying games.

Download the four adventures you can find on that page (The Oldenhaller Contract, Burn After Printing, Grauschloss and The Nine Virtues of Magnus the Pious).

4. If you want even more adventures, go to this page:

Winds of Chaos » Scenarios

Download those two adventures as well (Noblesse Oblige and Dead Ringer).

5. Then go to this site:

http://www.malleus.dk

It has the best online character generator available for any roleplaying game IMO, and a lot of other cool stuff as well.

6. While you're at it, visit:

Dave's Games

Download everything. It will add immensely to your game.

7. Then go to this site:

Warpstone magazine

Order as many different issues of Warpstone as possible. They contain adventures, as well as interesting articles about other aspects of WFRP not covered by official supplements. There are also downloads, e.g. an adventure right there on the starting page.

8. For maps of the world, go to:

Black Spectrum Productions

9. And if you still feel like you need to buy an adventure, go for The Thousand Thrones.

And ask away if there's anything else you're wondering about!

/Magnus

FriarRosing

First Post
Thanks for all of the advice and resources. I think I'll definitely get the bestiary, and probably Sigmar's Heirs, too. I really wish I could find the game master's kit for cheap, since there are so many tables I would like to have at the ready.

I'll hit up my local game store tomorrow when they're open.

Emirikol

Adventurer
Thanks for all of the advice and resources. I think I'll definitely get the bestiary, and probably Sigmar's Heirs, too. I really wish I could find the game master's kit for cheap, since there are so many tables I would like to have at the ready. I'll hit up my local game store tomorrow when they're open.

All of the books are now available for purchase as PDF's at RPGnow.com and drivethrurpg.com. The cool thing is that they're fixing errata in the PDF versions too. The GM screen is handy. The toolkit isn't all that great. It's just tables of spur-of-the-moment adventure ideas (which, for some people, may be handy...).

Dont' forget to follow up on the official WFRP forums too. The guys there love to help.

I also did a complete creature index here: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/242937-wfrp-complete-creature-index.html#post4507809

jay

Last edited:

Sanzuo

First Post
Thought I'd bump the thread with Emirikol's latest announcement.

Just for fun, I went through and did a summary of the WFRP2 scenarios and made a list of their recommended max xp, and number of careers recommended. [edit: note this is author-recommended listings of xp..some GM's prefer 100 xp per night]

I hope some of you GM's find it useful.

It will probably grow to eventually include convention-style blurb and maybe some other info. Anything you guys would like me to add?

jh

Thread is here.

Remove ads