• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock cantrips

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
So I sit down with my 2014 warlock and my buddy sits down with his 2024 warlock... he takes blade pact I take chain lock. I hit the level where I get a new cantrip and do what I do now... google "Warlock cantrips" and now a new one comes up 'pact of the blade' and it is exactly what my buddy is doing and it looks fun but it is just a cantrip... so I take it.

NOW, explain why the new book that has a new warlock cantrip cant be taken as a warlock cantrip?
You'll have to wait until we hear more about how 2014 PCs interact with the 2024 rules. My guess is that spell lists are unique to the year so if using the old warlock, you use the old warlock spells, not the new one.

Also, in your hypothetical scenario, if the DM turns around and says that cantrip is for thr 2024 warlock, you'll need to select another, are you really going to argue the point? I feel like most reasonable people would accept it and move on to selecting a new cantrip.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So I sit down with my 2014 warlock and my buddy sits down with his 2024 warlock... he takes blade pact I take chain lock. I hit the level where I get a new cantrip and do what I do now... google "Warlock cantrips" and now a new one comes up 'pact of the blade' and it is exactly what my buddy is doing and it looks fun but it is just a cantrip... so I take it.

NOW, explain why the new book that has a new warlock cantrip cant be taken as a warlock cantrip?
Didn’t we have this discussion like weeks ago, already?

Anyway, it isn’t on the warlock spell list.

If it goes to print without any more clarity than in the playtest, I’ll be mad about it. Right now, I don’t care that one small aspect of a playtest isn’t future proofed against someone mixing and matching within a base class.

Nor is it especially relevant to what I was discussing before you challenged a thing I didn’t say at me.

Assuming that the designers don't clarify this in a later playtest version because some people provided feedback that it is confusing... When you hit a level where you get a new cantrip, Googling will likely return results of people discussing that Pact of the Blade isn't selectable. And if you instead are using the old "Legacy" version of the Warlock on DDB, Pact of the Blade likely won't be selectable.

Or they could just let class features be class features instead of... whatever in god's name they're trying to do making everything spells for no reason.
Class abilities that the designers think would benefit from following the rules for spells, should just be spells. Heck, I'd be down for Divine Smites being a paladin spell, and even Wildshape being a series of Druid-only transmutation spells. I'd be down for Aerial Wildshape being a 4th level Druid-only spell that 7th level druids get.

HammerMan

Legend
Anyway, it isn’t on the warlock spell list.
It’s in a official book they say is compatible and says warlock cantrip…I don’t understand why people don’t understand how that can be read as “a cantrip a warlock can take”
If it goes to print without any more clarity than in the playtest, I’ll be mad about it.
But if enough people say “don’t worry NOBODY could make that mistake” why would they fox it?

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
It’s in a official book they say is compatible and says warlock cantrip…I don’t understand why people don’t understand how that can be read as “a cantrip a warlock can take”

But if enough people say “don’t worry NOBODY could make that mistake” why would they fox it?
Because it's a Warlock cantrip, but not on the Warlock Spell list.

Just like not every tool is an artisan's tool that an Artificer can select.

The language is plain. Pick from X list means Pick from X list. Things not on the list aren't on the list.

Remove ads