• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock cantrips

HammerMan

Legend
My DM and me are unsure, we may just not be reading fully. Can a warlock take a second pact cantrip as one of the 2 cantrips they start with?

My DM and me are unsure, we may just not be reading fully. Can a warlock take a second pact cantrip as one of the 2 cantrips they start with?
Technically no. Those cantrips aren't on the Arcane spell list that Warlocks have to choose their arcane cantrips from. They are Warlock cantrips, and currently the only way to get one is to choose the Pact Boon that grants it.

Just like a Wizard's "Created" spells are no longer Arcane spells that can be modified a second time. They instead become Wizard spells.

Thank you.
I find it odd it’s a cantrip then instead of a class feature.
By making them cantrips they follow the existing rules for magic, spells, and cantrips, without having to redesign and reexplain how they work. That is why I support some Spellcasting Class-specific abilities being spells for that spellcasting class. I think we'll see more of that with the Priests and Experts when they get tweaked.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
By making them cantrips they follow the existing rules for magic, spells, and cantrips, without having to redesign and reexplain how they work. That is why I support some Spellcasting Class-specific abilities being spells for that spellcasting class. I think we'll see more of that with the Priests and Experts when they get tweaked.
Ok, that makes some sense, now that you put it that way.

Remove ads