• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock cantrips

HammerMan

Legend
By making them cantrips they follow the existing rules for magic, spells, and cantrips, without having to redesign and reexplain how they work. That is why I support some Spellcasting Class-specific abilities being spells for that spellcasting class. I think we'll see more of that with the Priests and Experts when they get tweaked.
I can see that for eldritch blast but book of shadow and pact blade don’t upgrade every time just at 5th

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Warlocks not being able to choose warlock spells, wizards not being able to choose wizard spells and so on will be an endless font of confusion.
I doubt it. Those spells are specifically tied to a specific class feature.

That they’re indexed as cantrips doesn’t suggest they are general cantrips. They’re special cantrips that are granted by a class feature, they aren’t on any spell list.

Wizard spells are either granted by class feature or created by using a granted spell.

It only says you can choose from the Arcane spell list, which these spells are not on.
IT also says that those other cantrips are warlock cantrips

so far in 5e specific beats generic, and a cantrip beinng a cantrip for warlocks seems to trump the 'from arcane list"

Now the issue is you can argue the reverse, that in this case the specific is "arcane list" but a good faith argument can be made either way.

also since they only scale with warlock levels they already break cantrip rules, but since they only scale to 5th a 5/15 warlock/X will still have full power of a 20 warlock with that cantrip

Warlocks not being able to choose warlock spells, wizards not being able to choose wizard spells and so on will be an endless font of confusion.
Why would they? They come from a specific class feature and presumably won’t be listed with the rest of the spells.
they are just listed in spells so far so what makes you think they wont be in the PHB? and as the OP said
I find it odd it’s a cantrip then instead of a class feature.
if they were listed under class feature instead of spells it would dispel this issue 100%

I doubt it. Those spells are specifically tied to a specific class feature.
buut are listed in the spells section under cantrips as warlock cantrips.
That they’re indexed as cantrips doesn’t suggest they are general cantrips.
I don't think they are general, just warlock cantrips, and it is easy enough to see warlock class as able to take warlock cantrips.
They’re special cantrips that are granted by a class feature, they aren’t on any spell list.
since bard has spells from only part of a spell list and has some from a different spell list, you are telling me it is that hard to imagine "warlock cantrips" count as cantrips for warlocks?
Wizard spells are either granted by class feature or created by using a granted spell.
again this is confuseing... if a spell is a wizard spell a wizard can learn it right?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I am saying it isn't clear. You can argue that a 1st level warlock can take all three without twisiting the rules of tth game.
No it is clear, Eldritch Blast, Book of Shadows, etc are not listed as Arcane Spells. Whereas the cantrips of choice obtained under spellcasting are specifically called out as Arcane spells, for that matter as far as I can tell the same applies to the special wizard and sorcerer spells.

No it is clear, Eldritch Blast, Book of Shadows, etc are not listed as Arcane Spells.
eldritch blast doesn't matter one way or the other becase all warlocks get it... but book of shadows says its a warlock cantrip, and a warlock cantrip being a cantrip a warlock can choose makes sense. both arguments have points I don't see how something that a good faith argument can be made either way is clear.
Whereas the cantrips of choice obtained under spellcasting are specifically called out as Arcane spells, for that matter as far as I can tell the same applies to the special wizard and sorcerer spells.
again all wizards and all sorcerers get them, there is no misunderstanding but Book of shadow pact familiar and pact weapon are choices and onse that maybe are meant to be or not be chooseable

edit: by the way if it was clear why would the OP have asked? WHy would his DM have not been sure? and why did someone already say it is going to cause confusion? being clear seems to be the opposite of those things.

Remove ads