• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Warlock cantrips

so then again, why did the OP have to ask, and why did the DM not have a clear answer? Why can I read it both ways without twisting?
Because you're trying too, man. It's pretty clear that those cantrips aren't meant to be picked outside of the class features. They aren't classed as Warlock spells, they are classed as just spells with no tag that you can get via Pact Boon. Stop being disingenous.

Because you're trying too, man.
I am not a man do not misgender me just to try to make a point.
It's pretty clear that those cantrips aren't meant to be picked outside of the class features.
how is it clear they are called out in writeing as warlock cantrips, and the devs even talked about having multi pacts in the video before it came out.
They aren't classed as Warlock spells, they are classed as just spells with no tag that you can get via Pact Boon. Stop being disingenous.
I am not being disingenuous I am saying I can see an argument both ways,

by the way the devs in the youtube video talked about the story point of being able to enter pacts with more then 1 creature
That has nothing to do with the mechanics being described. It is so painfully obvious that you are just looking for any small reason to try and blow this up as bad design. It comes off as incredibly fake and difficult to engage with, because I don't feel you are being honest in your complaints.

Here's why.

First off, saying that many patrons goes against flavor of Pact Boon is clearly just making a problem when there isn't one. Your next few patrons see you have a pact boon and began helping you enhance it or draw more power from it. If someone gives you another pact boon, you lose your previous one, and you can flavor that 10000 ways too (though this is a situation that'd only happen if a player was bored wit htheir current choice).

Next, you say that the classification of spells is confusing. That's because you didn't read the feature closely, or you're being dishonest. The Pact Boon spells are special spells that can only be gotten through the Pact Boon feature. They aren't Warlock spells until you pick one of them. That means you obviously can't get them on level up, because you've already made your pact boon choice, and you don't get that feature a second time, so you can't access the other cut-off spells.

I am not a man do not misgender me just to try to make a point.

how is it clear they are called out in writeing as warlock cantrips, and the devs even talked about having multi pacts in the video before it came out.

I am not being disingenuous I am saying I can see an argument both ways,
I wasn't trying to misgender you, that was a gender neutral man, I'm sorry if I offended you, I'm non-binary so I understand how annoying that can be.

Seeing the argument both ways requires you to ignore the solutions to those arguments. I don't buy it.

HammerMan

Legend
Its only confusing if you're trying to make it confusing to prove a point.
So if it is only confusing to prove a point how did our group of 5 who 3 of us read the whole packet and watched the video when it came out all be unsure?

I’m not sure if you are trying to be insulting and unlike the other poster I will not assume you are BUT coming into a thread asking an honest question to say “You can’t really have this question” does sound a bit insulting.

So if it is only confusing to prove a point how did our group of 5 who 3 of us read the whole packet and watched the video when it came out all be unsure?

I’m not sure if you are trying to be insulting and unlike the other poster I will not assume you are BUT coming into a thread asking an honest question to say “You can’t really have this question” does sound a bit insulting.
The question has already been answered. Its in the text, and in my above post I prove that.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I really do not see the source of the confusion, unless people only skimmed the document.
At the beginning of the spell section there are a list of arcane spells. None of the class specific spells are in the list.
All of these spells are granted by special class features and the spellcasting feature specifically calls out the selection from the arcane list.
I really do not see it being clearer.

That has nothing to do with the mechanics being described. It is so painfully obvious that you are just looking for any small reason to try and blow this up as bad design.
I didn't say it was bad design I said it was unsure... only you are calling it bad design
It comes off as incredibly fake and difficult to engage with, because I don't feel you are being honest in your complaints.
IF you think someone is being 'fake' why are you argueing at all? you appear to only be here now to tell me and OP that we are too dumb or lying.
First off, saying that many patrons goes against flavor of Pact Boon is clearly just making a problem when there isn't one. Your next few patrons see you have a pact boon and began helping you enhance it or draw more power from it.
that seems an OKay reading of it... but not the only. I don't see why you can't admit an honest reading says someone can spend all there cantrip slots on all three? I'm not even saying it's right, just a way it can be read... one that I don't think is even a power issue.
Next, you say that the classification of spells is confusing. That's because you didn't read the feature closely, or you're being dishonest.
so I am too dumb to read or I am lying again... not that as I said "A warlock cantrip being a cantrip a warlock can take" makes sense in itself, is combined with the devs saying there are ways to make multi deals with diffrent beings (and hearing that as having multi pacts) and combineing them with it not being a big power boost over taking any other cantrips...
The Pact Boon spells are special spells that can only be gotten through the Pact Boon feature.
I can ssee why you read it that way. I just think there could be a bit more clarity
They aren't Warlock spells until you pick one of them.
Conjuration Cantrip (Warlock)
That means you obviously can't get them on level up, because you've already made your pact boon choice, and you don't get that feature a second time, so you can't access the other cut-off spells.
if that is the intent why not say it?

Remove ads