D&D 5E Warlock Homebrew changes

Lanliss

Explorer
My big change to the Warlock is mainly to the spells.
1) Hex is no longer Concentration.
2) Armor of Agyths keeps its damage running as long as you have THP from any source.

Rather than doing medium armor, I kind of hacked Armor of Shadows to be more like the 4e counterpart and made it into half-cover, granting a +2 AC/Dex save bonus. You keep the leather armors.

Waiting until level 14 to give Lifedrinker is a bad idea. You need it to keep up with the level 11 power curve. 1-4 are apprentice levels, 5-10 are heroic, 11-16 are paragon, and 17+ are "epic," if y'all don't mind me stealing the 4e terms. In 5e, they're not quite named, but level 5, 11, and 17 still represent a big jump in terms of combat power for everyone. Waiting through 3~4 levels, if the game even lasts that long (most end around level 11), to get your normal power curve is kind of annoying.

With Tome? Not really that bad. Actually pretty consistant with Archfey abilities, just more flexible.

Chain... I'll have to look over when I'm not tired.

At 11th level they get Mystic Arcanum (6th), so they still get the power jump. Also, Bladesinger gets the same bonus, +Intelligence to damage While bladesinging, so it doesn't seem too horrible. That said, if I can think of a suitable ability to replace it I can live with it going back to a 12th level invocation.

I planned on leaving Armor of Shadows as is, as a Light Armor Invocation, then adding in Medium and Heavy armor ones (Heavy being at a higher level), as well as a Shield Invocation. All but Armor of Shadows would require Blade Pact though.

Mephista

Adventurer
At 11th level they get Mystic Arcanum (6th), so they still get the power jump.
Not quite. Even in the case of the Skald Bard, who get 6th level spells, they also get a direct combat boost in the form of Magical Secrets (smites and ranger bow-spells) at level 10. Likewise, Moon Druid gets Elemental shapes. Non-homebrew blade'lock gets Lifedrinker at 12 (not only unlocks the Invocation, but you get another Invocation slot).

Couple that with the :):):):) spells for a gish in the Mystic Arcanum is grossly problematic. Bladesingers and clerics who wait until 14 can supplement their damage with Planar Ally on top of Spirit Guardian, or Haste / or Elemental Weapon. There is no equivalent for the blade'lock. Actually, no, there is kind of the equivalent, but its found at level 14 and you kind of cut it out.

Normally, level 14 fiend'blade locks also got another power boost on top of the blade bonus - Hurl through Hell. That's completely missing now as well, as is Dark Delierium. Dark Delierium can kind of be replaced with the extra Mystic Arcana in Tome, which is fine. Create Thrall has been integrated into Chain. But we're still missing equivalent power boosts for Blade.

I planned on leaving Armor of Shadows as is
*shrugs* Just talking about what I did, not saying you should do it.

Lanliss

Explorer
Not quite. Even in the case of the Skald Bard, who get 6th level spells, they also get a direct combat boost in the form of Magical Secrets (smites and ranger bow-spells) at level 10. Likewise, Moon Druid gets Elemental shapes. Non-homebrew blade'lock gets Lifedrinker at 12 (not only unlocks the Invocation, but you get another Invocation slot).

All of that is true, and as I mentioned I would be fine with moving it back to where it was if I could think of something else that fits.

Couple that with the :):):):) spells for a gish in the Mystic Arcanum is grossly problematic. Bladesingers and clerics who wait until 14 can supplement their damage with Planar Ally on top of Spirit Guardian, or Haste / or Elemental Weapon. There is no equivalent for the blade'lock. Actually, no, there is kind of the equivalent, but its found at level 14 and you kind of cut it out.

Normally, level 14 fiend'blade locks also got another power boost on top of the blade bonus - Hurl through Hell. That's completely missing now as well, as is Dark Delierium. Dark Delierium can kind of be replaced with the extra Mystic Arcana in Tome, which is fine. Create Thrall has been integrated into Chain. But we're still missing equivalent power boosts for Blade.

I didn't quite cut them out, they are just moved to Invocations. So, whatever I come up with for the 14th level has to be balanced enough to be gotten at the same time as any of the Patron abilities that are normally gotten at that time. I am at somewhat of a loss what other ability might fit though... Maybe a delayed 3rd attack, to offset their lack of Magic in comparison to the other full-casters? Then they still get the +cha to attacks at 12 as an Invocation.

Lanliss

Explorer
Another thought, what about creatures that willingly submit themselves to a contract to be chained? Is it enough of a bonus that I simply remove the requirement to roll against them (while keeping the CR restriction)? That way, if you can convince a Dragon to submit itself to you (don't ask me how), you don't have to roll against the Chain DC of 26, and just automatically have it chained. Some DMs could even make it a full blown contract, where the Warlock agrees to do some favor for the being, and in return the Warlock gets a servant.

Lanliss

Explorer
Alright, I think this is worked out well enough to playtest, here is the breakdown. Altogether, I like how it feels.

General Changes
All Patron abilities are changed into Invocations, which can be taken at the same appropriate level, and only if you have the correct Patron.

Warlocks are able to change their Mystic Arcanum choices the same as other spells they have chosen, when they gain a Warlock level.

Eldritch Blast is an invocation, and higher levels of it are separate Invocations. These do not stack, the highest number of blasts takes precedence. All EB modifying Invocations are removed.

Blade
3rd-Pact, Medium Armor and shields

6th- Extra attack

10th- War Magic, as with Eldritch Knight (PHB 75)

14th- 2nd extra attack

Tome
3rd- Pact

6th- Gain an extra Spell Slot per short rest. Gain a second extra slot at 14th level. Additionally, you now add your Charisma Modifier when you roll damage for Warlock Cantrips, and the Eldritch Blast Invocation if you have it.

10th- At 10th level your Patron bestows you with magical Secrets. Choose two spells from any class spell list, including this class, and add them to your spells known (though they do not count against spells known). When you gain a level in this class you can replace one or both of the spells with another spell for which you also have spell slots, choosing from any class list.
If a spell is not from the Warlock spell list, it nontheless counts as a warlock spell for you.

14th-You now have 2 uses of your 6th and 7th level Mystic arcanum per long rest.

Chain
3rd- Pact

6th- Chain Monster: When you or your familiar reduces a non-humanoid creature to 0 hp you can attempt to Chain it to follow your commands. The DC is the creatures CR+5, and you roll 1d20+ your Charisma Modifier to attempt to Chain it. After you have chained a Monster you can summon it to your side as an Action. It rolls a separate Initiative, and acts on it's own. It will follow your commands, or will defend itself if you have not given it a command. You can only have one Chained Monster at a time, and chaining a new monster results in your current one dying and turning to ash. If the monster has any Lair or Legendary actions, it loses those when it becomes Chained, but otherwise remains as it was before.
There is a CR limitation on what monsters the Warlock can chain, equal to your Warlock Level + Charisma Modifier.
You monster spends hit dice to heal as normal, and refills half of its hit dice after a Long rest. This includes after you have chained it, so a creature that was reduced to 0 hit points will be locked in a pocket dimension until you have completed a rest to heal it.
A creature can willingly submit itself to your chain attempt. For this to happen, it must not be under any charm effect or other form of magical compulsion. If a creature chooses to do this, you do not have to roll to attempt to Chain it, and it does not need to be reduced to 0 hit points for you to chain it. In addition, if a creature chained in this way beats your initiative in combat, it will ready its action to obey whatever command you give on your turn, rather than dodging or attacking on its own.
If a creatures CR ever increases while it is chained by you, you must make a new Chain attempt at that moment to maintain control. For example, Polymorphing a Zombie into a Dragon could lead to serious issues. Creatures who accepted your Chain are exempted from this rule.

10th- Greater Chain: Add half of your Proficiency Bonus (Rounded up) to your Chain attempts.

14th- Chain Master: You can chain two creatures at once. If you chain a new creature while you are already at the two-creature limit, the one that has been chained longer is lost.

Last edited:

Remove ads