• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock minion killer - does this work?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I forget the mechanics on the rod of reaving - is it damage to all cursed enemies equal to the plus on the rod? And only takes a free action, or no action, I assume?

Personally, I'd be very hesitant to allow damage with no attack roll to kill minions, unless it was from a power, like cloud of daggers. For this exact reason - too easy to find a loophole, especially later with splatbooks.

Nikolai II

First Post
Lord Sessadore said:
I forget the mechanics on the rod of reaving - is it damage to all cursed enemies equal to the plus on the rod? And only takes a free action, or no action, I assume?

Personally, I'd be very hesitant to allow damage with no attack roll to kill minions, unless it was from a power, like cloud of daggers. For this exact reason - too easy to find a loophole, especially later with splatbooks.

Back to the "only hits can kill minions" as opposed to the current "misses can't kill minions". Does mean that cleave can't kill a minion, though..

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Nikolai II said:
Back to the "only hits can kill minions" as opposed to the current "misses can't kill minions". Does mean that cleave can't kill a minion, though..
If Cleave misses, it cannot damage a minion.

Cheers, -- N

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Well, that was why I threw in the "unless it was from a power". My thinking is that the powers were examined more closely than magic items. It's a lot harder to find a super combo in powers, and besides, powers are supposed to work the way they do. Something like this - using 2 implements to pop 1 damage on minions and then spread your curse around - doesn't smell good to me.

-Avalon-

First Post
Well.... there is a neat way to wipe out minions free of charge pretty much...

With the rod of corruption to spread the curse, a pact blade and fey pact are broken...

Sage/WotC already agreed in e-mail (we had to ask!) That you curse a minion, the minion will attack, take a point of damage and die, normally the damage from the attack will go through, but because the interrupting action of the short port, the warlock is no longer there to receive the actual attack.

In short, the minion attacks, warlock ports, minion dies.

No rolls necessary.

reff42

Explorer
A) cleave can't hurt anyone on a miss, it's extra effect is dependent on a hit.

B) rod of reaving is already a 'kill a minion as a minor action once a round' thing. And the rod of corruption does say transfer, probably for that exact reason.

C) in someone's earlier example, they have action point to activate doomsayer ability and action point to attack. You may only spend 1 action point in any 1 encounter. This includes action points granted to you by other people's powers, unless specifically stated otherwise. The only exception to that is monsters with action points who may use as many as they have, but limited to once per round.

D) PooP

Nifft

Penguin Herder
-Avalon- said:
With the rod of corruption to spread the curse, a pact blade and fey pact are broken...
Two things to remember:
1/ Critters are always aware of the negative effects you can inflict on their action choices. This is why Fighters and Paladins doing their Marking thing works at all.
2/ They're only minions. Their combat role is "speed bump", not threat.

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads