D&D 5E Warlock Spell Selection: Does the PC or the *player* choose their spells?

Yes, I see that

BUT then people may think that this means that the GM makes the choice (since the Patron is an NPC) and that is really not what I am proposing either.

Ah, I see what you are saying. I guess I'm coming from the perspective of being pretty hands off with Warlocks at my table. I don't think of the patron as an active NPC, really. At our table, the players get to tell the DM (within reason) what the relationship is between the patron and the warlock - which includes how the patron chooses to deliver spells, if that's a thing they want to explore.

How about something like:

Warlock Spell Selection: Does the PC or the player directed patron choose their spells?​

That might be a succinct way of letting people know what you are proposing (that is what you are proposing, right?) - plus it could be more attention grabbing, if not even controversial for some.

Anyway, not sure that is the right wording either - just a thought.

MarkB

Legend
For me, this is very much up to the individual player, and even for one player may vary from character to character. Heck, even for a single character it might change over the course of their career as their relationship with their patron develops and changes.

Davies

Legend

Warlock Spell Selection: Does the PC or the player directed patron choose their spells?​

That might be a succinct way of letting people know what you are proposing (that is what you are proposing, right?) - plus it could be more attention grabbing, if not even controversial for some.

Anyway, not sure that is the right wording either - just a thought.

"Assuming that both are player-controlled, does a warlock or their patron choose the character's spells?"

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Have the player make up the story of how and why the patron shared their power.

If you want an extra layer of cool, take a note from Colville's "Strongholds and Followers" and let the Warlock use his GPs to build a Warlock Fane and perhaps customize his spells into something unique and awesome.

Still up to the player, of course, the question as I see it though is, in the fiction does the patron choose.
Earlier there was some discussion about what to call this thread so as to avoid confusion as to what Ancalagon was truly asking of us. I thought Davies' statement was nice because it removed the Dungeon Master from the equation.

Remove ads