log in or register to remove this ad

 

Warlocks need wands now?

hargert

First Post
I loved the theme and feel of the 3rd edition Warlock, but when looking at the character sheet that is posted I noticed that they need to have a wand to use their abilitites now? I always loved that the power came from within and that you did not need any items to use them. Also did they get rid of evocations? I know it is just a quick start character sheet but I hope they still have the abilitiy to combine blasts and other powers. If not they feel much less like warlocks and rather more like wizards with slightly better armor and HP.

Dont get me wrong I am still looking forward to 4th edition just curious is all.
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Nahat Anoj

First Post
hargert said:
I loved the theme and feel of the 3rd edition Warlock, but when looking at the character sheet that is posted I noticed that they need to have a wand to use their abilitites now? I always loved that the power came from within and that you did not need any items to use them. Also did they get rid of evocations? I know it is just a quick start character sheet but I hope they still have the abilitiy to combine blasts and other powers. If not they feel much less like warlocks and rather more like wizards with slightly better armor and HP.

Dont get me wrong I am still looking forward to 4th edition just curious is all.
There are two things. First, that Half-Elf Warlock has a Wizard power (Ray of Frost). I think the wand gives a bonus to that. Second, it may be that Warlock powers can also benefit from wands as well.
 

Zinovia

Explorer
The warlock character sheet says that "Your powers require you to have your wand (also called an implement) in hand." All of the listed powers have "Implement" as a listed requirement. So disarm this particular warlock, and she's helpless as far as casting spells. It struck me as odd when I first saw the sheet.

I guess to disarm a warlock you take away her wand, but she's probably got a spare stashed down the front of her bustier of support.
 

hargert

First Post
I am fine with bonuses for items, the old warlocks scepter did the same. However if you look at the character sheet for the eldrich blast is lists implement. From the text you must have this in hand to use. So steal his wand and the feared warlock becomes powerless.
 

Rechan

Adventurer
I seem to recall that the Wizards article (or was it responses from the designers to questions from the wizards article) said that Wizards can cast any spell they can, but they cast it better with an implement in hand.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a warlock can do their warlocky goodness, but still benefit from having the implement.
 

Michele Carter

First Post
Rechan said:
I seem to recall that the Wizards article (or was it responses from the designers to questions from the wizards article) said that Wizards can cast any spell they can, but they cast it better with an implement in hand.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a warlock can do their warlocky goodness, but still benefit from having the implement.

This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.
 

Khur

Sympathy for the Devil
Also, warlocks have other implement possibilities. They aren't limited to wands. Did somebody say scepter . . . ?
 

Sitara

Explorer
I hope they still have Baleful Utteance as an at will power. Loved that! :)
And I hope its (aka Shatter) more useful generaly, say like working on steel items (so weapons can be shattered...while they are being gripped)
 

mach1.9pants

Adventurer
Jonathan Moyer said:
There are two things. First, that Half-Elf Warlock has a Wizard power (Ray of Frost). I think the wand gives a bonus to that. Second, it may be that Warlock powers can also benefit from wands as well.
All the Warlock powers require a wand to use, which I don't like.
On an aside, since there is no feat listed I assume that the half elves being good at multi-classing comes from being able to select one power from another class, maybe of the same power source?

EDIT: Aahhh thanks that is real good news, ftr no weps, wiz no wand equals less effective but not 'power' -less :)
WotC_Miko said:
This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.
 
Last edited:

hargert

First Post
WotC_Miko said:
This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.


Great to hear that thanks for making my day, I am now once again jazzed as all hell to get my hands on it.
 


Voss

First Post
WotC_Miko said:
This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.

So, what does the 'implement' tag mean in the power description (or weapon, for that matter, in the rogue abilities and others)? If it isn't required, why is it there? It certainly doesn't seem to provide any bonuses.
 


Lackhand

First Post
Voss said:
So, what does the 'implement' tag mean in the power description (or weapon, for that matter, in the rogue abilities and others)? If it isn't required, why is it there? It certainly doesn't seem to provide any bonuses.
It may be something we didn't see -- wands provide +2 to attack, say, and that's already factored into the powers. It's a one shot, the rules are simplified and self-contained.
 

Voss

First Post
Lackhand said:
It may be something we didn't see -- wands provide +2 to attack, say, and that's already factored into the powers. It's a one shot, the rules are simplified and self-contained.

Nope. All the attack powers on the wizard and warlock character sheets are exactly the appropriate stat modifer- no more and no less. The wizards are all at +5 (20 int) and the warlocks are +4 (18 charisma), except the wizard power she has, which is +2 (14 int).

I think the default wand isn't getting a bonus to 'balance' the fact that these powers are attack the defenses instead of AC, so weapons are getting +2/+3 to compensate for the higher AC numbers. It makes some sense from a purely statistical point of view, but its saddling the warlock and wizard with a crutch that is more of a penalty.
 

hargert

First Post
Well as it has been said these are just trimmed down for the quick play. Hopefully once the full rules are released we will see a reason to have them. As long as I can still fling gobs of deadly magic from my hands without having to have a wand I am happy.
 

Xath

Moder-gator
Voss said:
So, what does the 'implement' tag mean in the power description (or weapon, for that matter, in the rogue abilities and others)? If it isn't required, why is it there? It certainly doesn't seem to provide any bonuses.

[From what I can tell...] It means that you can benefit from your implement's power with that ability. So if you have a wand +2 (that gives you +2 to attack and damage), you get a +2 to attack and damage for any ability with Implement in its descriptor.
 

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top