Warlocks need wands now?

Voss

First Post
WotC_Miko said:
This. The character sheets are written for con-gaming convienence. A warlock doesn't *need* a rod or a wand to cast her spells...but she might have a benefit with one.

So, what does the 'implement' tag mean in the power description (or weapon, for that matter, in the rogue abilities and others)? If it isn't required, why is it there? It certainly doesn't seem to provide any bonuses.

Lackhand

First Post
Voss said:
So, what does the 'implement' tag mean in the power description (or weapon, for that matter, in the rogue abilities and others)? If it isn't required, why is it there? It certainly doesn't seem to provide any bonuses.
It may be something we didn't see -- wands provide +2 to attack, say, and that's already factored into the powers. It's a one shot, the rules are simplified and self-contained.

Voss

First Post
Lackhand said:
It may be something we didn't see -- wands provide +2 to attack, say, and that's already factored into the powers. It's a one shot, the rules are simplified and self-contained.

Nope. All the attack powers on the wizard and warlock character sheets are exactly the appropriate stat modifer- no more and no less. The wizards are all at +5 (20 int) and the warlocks are +4 (18 charisma), except the wizard power she has, which is +2 (14 int).

I think the default wand isn't getting a bonus to 'balance' the fact that these powers are attack the defenses instead of AC, so weapons are getting +2/+3 to compensate for the higher AC numbers. It makes some sense from a purely statistical point of view, but its saddling the warlock and wizard with a crutch that is more of a penalty.

hargert

First Post
Well as it has been said these are just trimmed down for the quick play. Hopefully once the full rules are released we will see a reason to have them. As long as I can still fling gobs of deadly magic from my hands without having to have a wand I am happy.

Xath

Moder-gator
Voss said:

[From what I can tell...] It means that you can benefit from your implement's power with that ability. So if you have a wand +2 (that gives you +2 to attack and damage), you get a +2 to attack and damage for any ability with Implement in its descriptor.

Remove ads