Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

lowkey13

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
INSTRUCTIONS- PLEASE READ.

This is a "+" thread. That means that this thread is only for positive contributions about the Warlord. The purpose of this thread is to crowdsource a Warlord. The OP is responsible for making edits on this page, but doctorbadwolf is going to be the moderator and "caller" of the thread; he will determine when a consensus is reached as to a class feature.

Please remember that this is supposed to be fun and collaborative, and do not participate unless you are intending to help create a homebrew Warlord for 5e. Thanks!

Anything in ORANGE remains open for editing and discussion. Anything in BLACK has been finalized.

Marshal

The Marshal
LevelProficiency BonusGambit
Die
MettleMartial
Presence
Features
1st+21d4--Unarmored Defense, Gambits
2nd+21d42+10 ft.Mettle, Martial Presence
3rd+21d43+10 ft.Monastic Tradition, Warning Shout
4th+21d44+10 ft.Ability Score Improvement, Slow Fall
5th+31d65+10 ft.Extra Attack, Stunning Strike
6th+31d66+15 ft.Ki-Empowered Strikes, Monastic Tradition feature
7th+31d67+15 ft.Evasion, Stillness of Mind
8th+31d68+15 ft.Ability Score Improvement
9th+41d69+15 ft.Unarmored Movement improvement
10th+41d610+20 ft.Purity of Body
11th+41d811+20 ft.Monastic Tradition feature
12th+41d812+20 ft.Ability Score Improvement
13th+51d813+20 ft.Tongue of the Sun and Moon
14th+51d814+25 ft.Diamond Soul
15th+51d815+25 ft.Timeless Body
16th+51d816+25 ft.Ability Score Improvement
17th+61d1017+25 ft.Monastic Tradition feature
18th+61d1018+30 ft.Empty Body
19th+61d1019+30 ft.Ability Score Improvement
20th+61d1020+30 ft.Perfect Self
Class Features

As a marshal, you gain the following class features.

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per marshal level
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution modifier per marshal level after 1st

Proficiencies
Armor: Light armor, medium armor. shields
Weapons: Simple weapons
Tools: None
Saving Throws: Wisdom, Intelligence
Skills: Choose three from Athletics, History, Insight, Animal Handling, Medicine, Perception, Deception, Persuasion, and Intimidation.

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
  • (a) a spear or (b) a longsword (if proficient)
  • (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
  • (a) a diplomat's pack or (b) an explorer's pack
  • (a) scale mail, (b) leather armor, or (c) chain mail (if proficient)
  • a shield

Marshal Archetype
Every marshal must choose an Archetype at level 1 from those listed in this document, or from any other source approved by your DM. You gain features from your Archetype at various levels, and it determines a secondary effect of your Martial Presence.

Marshal Gambits
At 1st level, you gain the ability to lead the attack, focusing allied attacks for greater efficacy. When you use the attack action to make an attack with a weapon with which you are proficient, or to use an ability that costs mettle, you can grant an ally who can see and hear you a bonus to their next damage roll or saving throw, before the start of your next turn. This bonus is equal to your Gambit Die, as shown in the Gambit Die section of the Marshal table, and you must choose which benefit the ally gains when you use the ability.

Certain Archetypes will allow you to learn different gambits, and you will learn additional gambits as you increase in level.

Mettle
Starting at 2nd level, your training allows you to harness yo your inner strength, fortitude, intelligence, and tactical ability know as mettle. Your access to this training and skill is represented by a number of mettle points. Your marshal level determines the number of points you have, as shown in the Mettle Points column of the Marshal table.
You can spend these points to fuel various mettle features. You start knowing three such features: Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, and Step of the Wind. You learn more mettle features as you gain levels in this class.
When you spend a mettle point, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you draw all of your expended mettle back into yourself. You must spend at least 30 minutes of the rest meditating to regain your mettle points.
Some of your mettle features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature’s effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:

Mettle save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Intelligence modifier
Guiding Strike
When you take the Attack Action on your turn, you can spend 1 Mettle in place of one attack to allow an ally to make an attack as a reaction. Either the attacking ally, or the target, must be within your Presence.

Mettle2
You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.

Mettle3
You can spend 1 ki point to take the Disengage or Dash action as a bonus action on your turn, and your jump distance is doubled for the turn.

Martial Presence
Starting at 2nd level, you gain the ability to project your presence around you to a radius of 15 feet, centered on you. This distance increases as you level, as shown in the Martial Presence section of the Marshal Table. A creature within the Presence must be able to see or hear you in order to be affected by it, and your Presence is only active while you are not incapacitated. You, and any 2 creatures of your choice within your Presence, gain your choice of a bonus or penalty to Initiative equal to your Gambit Die.

*Warlord Subclasses
When you reach 3rd level, you commit yourself to a monastic tradition: the Way of the Open Hand, the Way of Shadow, or the Way of the Four Elements, all detailed at the end of the class description. Your tradition grants you features at 3rd level and again at 6th, 11th, and 17th level.

Warning Shout
Starting at level 3, you can warn an ally within your presence of an incoming attack. As a reaction when an ally within your Presence is hit with an attack, but before damage is rolled, you can grant them an AC bonus equal to your Gambit Die. If the attack fails, you can spend 1 Mettle as part of the same reaction to allow an ally within your presence to make a counter-attack using their reaction.

Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th, and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.

Slow Fall
Beginning at 4th level, you can use your reaction when you fall to reduce any falling damage you take by an amount equal to five times your monk level.

Extra Attack
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Stunning Strike
Starting at 5th level, you can interfere with the flow of ki in an opponent’s body. When you hit another creature with a melee weapon attack, you can spend 1 ki point to attempt a stunning strike. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn.

Ki-Empowered Strikes
Starting at 6th level, your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.

Evasion
At 7th level, your instinctive agility lets you dodge out of the way of certain area effects, such as a blue dragon’s lightning breath or a fireball spell. When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Stillness of Mind
Starting at 7th level, you can use your action to end one effect on yourself that is causing you to be charmed or frightened.

Purity of Body
At 10th level, your mastery of the ki flowing through you makes you immune to disease and poison.

Tongue of the Sun and Moon
Starting at 13th level, you learn to touch the ki of other minds so that you understand all spoken languages. Moreover, any creature that can understand a language can understand what you say.

Diamond Soul
Beginning at 14th level, your mastery of ki grants you proficiency in all saving throws. Additionally, whenever you make a saving throw and fail, you can spend 1 ki point to reroll it and take the second result.

Timeless Body
At 15th level, your ki sustains you so that you suffer none of the frailty of old age, and you can’t be aged magically. You can still die of old age, however. In addition, you no longer need food or water.

Empty Body
Beginning at 18th level, you can use your action to spend 4 ki points to become invisible for 1 minute. During that time, you also have resistance to all damage but force damage. Additionally, you can spend 8 ki points to cast the astral projection spell, without needing material components. When you do so, you can’t take any other creatures with you.

Perfect Self
At 20th level, when you roll for initiative and have no ki points remaining, you regain 4 ki points.

Warlord Subclasses
Three traditions of monastic pursuit are common in the monasteries scattered across the multiverse. Most monasteries practice one tradition exclusively, but a few honor the three traditions and instruct each monk according to his or her aptitude and interest. All three traditions rely on the same basic techniques, diverging as the student grows more adept. Thus, a monk need choose a tradition only upon reaching 3rd level.

Way of the Open Hand
Monks of the Way of the Open Hand are the ultimate masters of martial arts combat, whether armed or unarmed. They learn techniques to push and trip their opponents, manipulate ki to heal damage to their bodies, and practice advanced meditation that can protect them from harm.

Open Hand Technique
Starting when you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you can manipulate your enemy's ki when you harness your own. Whenever you hit a creature with one of the attacks granted by your Flurry of Blows, you can impose one of the following effects on that target:

• It must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone.
  • It must make a Strength saving throw. If it fails, you can push it up to 15 feet away from you.
  • It can’t take reactions until the end of your next turn.
Wholeness of Body
At 6th level, you gain the ability to heal yourself. As an action, you can regain hit points equal to three times your monk level. You must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Tranquility
Beginning at 11th level, you can enter a special meditation that surrounds you with an aura of peace. At the end of a long rest, you gain the effect of a sanctuary spell that lasts until the start of your next long rest (the spell can end early as normal). The saving throw DC for the spell equals 8 + your Wisdom modifier + your proficiency bonus.

Quivering Palm
At 17th level, you gain the ability to set up lethal vibrations in someone’s body. When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike, you can spend 3 ki points to start these imperceptible vibrations, which last for a number of days equal to your monk level. The vibrations are harmless unless you use your action to end them. To do so, you and the target must be on the same plane of existence. When you use this action, the creature must make a Constitution saving throw. If it fails, it is reduced to 0 hit points. If it succeeds, it takes 10d10 necrotic damage.
You can have only one creature under the effect of this feature at a time. You can choose to end the vibrations harmlessly without using an action.

Last edited:

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
Observation: The monk chassis suggests the class should be able to do 13 damage a round (times hit rate), with a ki point adding 5.5 points of damage without an additional action expenditure in Tier 1. Using the same resource schedule suggests the warlord should be able to put out similar damage numbers. The monk's superior mobility and defensive options should probably be transformed into the ability to grant similar defensive advantages to allies, to maintain a rough balance between offense and defense/utility between the classes.

Core questions:
1) What amount of attack granting should the class have? Should it be at the class or subclass level? (I personally favor the "Take the attack action, sacrifice an attack to give an ally an extra attack on their turn" rule, but that's obviously an issue that needs to be answered first and foremost.)

2) What should the core action cycle look like? I'd lean towards Attack as an action, a utility bonus action (possibly linked to or upgraded by subclass), and then a tactic point expenditure to provide additional power or options to the bonus action. This is the closest analogue to the monk cycle, and still feels sufficiently "warlord-y".

3) What are the main stats for the class? Seems like it should be Str/Dex flexible, like most martials, and then maybe a secondary mental stat based on subclass? (Much like the rogue model.)

4) Are warlords proficient in katanas? (Trick question. Katanas are proficient with warlords.)

lowkey13

4) Are warlords proficient in katanas? (Trick question. Katanas are proficient with warlords.)

So ... if y'all want ( @doctorbadwolf ) we can use this thread that I started testing with yesterday. I'll rename it and it can go live.

Black = final.

Orange = stuff to change.

First things (IMO) should be agreement on:

1. Name.
2. HD.
3. Proficiencies.
4. Equipment.

... and then maybe decide if you want to use "ki" points and what you want to call them. That should be the easiest stuff.

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
First things (IMO) should be agreement on:

1. Name.
2. HD.
3. Proficiencies.
4. Equipment.
1) This should be easy. :)
2) d8. Seems to be the default for support classes, and lets you slightly increase the power budget of class features. A hit point increase can also be baked into tougher subclasses, much like Draconic Sorcerer.
3) Skills: Pick 3 from Athletics, History, Insight, Animal Handling, Medicine, Perception, Deception, Persuasion, Intimidation. Rogues get 4 skills out of an 11 skill list, monks get 2 out of 6. 3 out of 9 seems a good compromise, warlord seems to be a slightly more skill oriented class.
Saves: I feel like mental makes sense? Int/Wis or Wis/Cha?
Weapon/Armor: Light, Medium, Shields, Simple Weapons feels right to me. Martial Weapons and Heavy Armor make sense as subclass features.
4) Modifed cleric equipment makes sense, assuming medium (possibly heavy) armor and simple weapons.
  • (a) a spear or (b) a rapier (if proficient)
  • (a) scale mail, (b) leather armor, or (c) chain mail (if proficient)
  • (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
  • (a) a diplomat’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
  • a shield

lowkey13

@TwoSix
@doctorbadwolf

If you want me to make this "live" (rename the title from testing) let me know. As for making decisions- not my place. When Warlordies* come to a consensus on any decision, "at" me and I'll make the edit. :)

*Warlord fans.

lowkey13

I agree completely with your suggestions.
So in order to lessen confusion (as I do not plan on constantly monitoring the thread) let's make sure we formalize this. I'm going to rename this to make it live. Y'all discuss as needed. When a decision is made, then you make a post with-

"at"Lowkey13 Final

(decisions)

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
Slightly more radical suggestion: Working on the assumption that there may be subclasses that have bonus hit points, increased weapon and armor proficiencies, and subclasses utilize different secondary stats, maybe moving the subclass selection to 1st level would be warranted. I have a pet peeve about subclasses that switch out their weapon and armor use at 3rd level (like Valor Bard).

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Slightly more radical suggestion: Working on the assumption that there may be subclasses that have bonus hit points, increased weapon and armor proficiencies, and subclasses utilize different secondary stats, maybe moving the subclass selection to 1st level would be warranted. I have a pet peeve about subclasses that switch out their weapon and armor use at 3rd level (like Valor Bard).
Worth considering, certainly.

What 3 archetypes should we focus on?

should they be called Archetypes like they are for fighters and rogues?

I vote yes, and I vote for

Vanguard: Prime archetype that leads from the front. Gives group buffs when you attack.

Ritualist: crap name, but this is the magic one. Granted attacks do extra magic damage, can change damage types during short or long rest, or as a ritual?

Tactician: the “lazy” archetype. Enhanced ability to trade personal attacks for ally attacks. Either does so with less cost, or gives greater bonuses when doing so.Usually better use of action than attacking yourself.

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
@doctorbadwolf

+1 for "archetypes". Simple and to the point, no need to get dragged down by nomenclature.

Yea, I think the 3 most obvious are

a) The "ballsy" warlord. Heroic, lead from the front. Heavy armor and martial weapons would fit in here. Less movement support and attack granting, more damage buffs and morale healing. Probably Cha-focused? Vanguard definitely works.

b) The tactical warlord. Direct from the rear. Greater ability to grant attacks with bonuses. More utility with tactical points. Battlemaster style maneuvers with tactical point spending, maybe? Maybe more reaction based abilities (to demonstrate ability to anticipate and react accordingly.) Definitely Int-based.

c) The magical warlord. Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster style casting? Or the ability to cast spells via tactical points (much like 4 Elements Monk, just, ya know, good)? Spells off of the bard spell list would make sense here (less flashy, more healings and buffs). Int or Cha-focused, depending on if the magic is innate or learned. Ritualist would imply Int to me.

I could also see a combination of magical and lazy to make the "princess" style warlord, possibly with Wis-based divine magic.

doctorbadwolf

@doctorbadwolf

+1 for "archetypes". Simple and to the point, no need to get dragged down by nomenclature.

Yea, I think the 3 most obvious are

a) The "ballsy" warlord. Heroic, lead from the front. Heavy armor and martial weapons would fit in here. Less movement support and attack granting, more damage buffs and morale healing. Probably Cha-focused? Vanguard definitely works.

b) The tactical warlord. Direct from the rear. Greater ability to grant attacks with bonuses. More utility with tactical points. Battlemaster style maneuvers with tactical point spending, maybe? Maybe more reaction based abilities (to demonstrate ability to anticipate and react accordingly.) Definitely Int-based.

c) The magical warlord. Eldritch Knight/Arcane Trickster style casting? Or the ability to cast spells via tactical points (much like 4 Elements Monk, just, ya know, good)? Spells off of the bard spell list would make sense here (less flashy, more healings and buffs). Int or Cha-focused, depending on if the magic is innate or learned. Ritualist would imply Int to me.

I could also see a combination of magical and lazy to make the "princess" style warlord, possibly with Wis-based divine magic.
100% You are speaking my exact language.

lowkey13

100% You are speaking my exact language.
I said I wouldn't intervene but .... probably should decide on stuff for the base class before getting into archetypes/subclasses.

I know there's interplay between them, but it's really hard to discuss variations on a design until you have an idea of the design.

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
I said I wouldn't intervene but .... probably should decide on stuff for the base class before getting into archetypes/subclasses.

I know there's interplay between them, but it's really hard to discuss variations on a design until you have an idea of the design.
Nope, you're absolutely right. Monk is a very focused class, and has a lot of its power baked into its core chassis. If we're sticking with the monk framework, we should mimic that as much as possible.

-The warlord should have a decent attack (or attack grant) as their main action (scaling to Extra Attack at level 5).
-The bonus action should be spent on a baseline offensive or defensive grant to an ally, with riders and bonuses predicated on spending TP (tactical points, if we don't come up with a better name).
-Reactions are either OA (if vanguard) or special reaction abilities (if tactician), but should be subclass based. -Subclasses provide bonuses and riders to these core actions. (Compare to open hand monk boosting flurry of blows, or sun soul monk allowing for ranged flurry.) Magical subclass could alter this core, since they'll be casting spells.

Something like:

1: Archetype feature, Marshal Teamwork (grant attack when you sacrifice attack)
2: Guided Blow (Help as a bonus action, or some other offensive boost to an ally.)
5: Extra Attack
6: Archetype feature (Might vary the extra attack based on subclass. Vanguard gets bonus when they both attack and grant attack to nearby allies, Tactician grants attacks to 2 different allies, Magical maybe allows for ally cantrip cast? Iffy on that, might scale too well.)

RSIxidor

Explorer
Two simple things to get out of the way. 1. Replace Unarmored Defense with light+medium armor arof and shield prof. 2. Give martial weapon prof. (Vanguard archetype could maybe gain heavy armor).

More of a couple of incomplete thoughts here: I think both the Martial Arts die and Unarmored Movement could be modified to use as scaling bonuses for effects. Martial Arts die could be used for stuff like bonuses to attack or damage rolls, THP, or AC buffs. The rest of Martial Arts is likely completely replaced. Unarmored Movement, maybe scaling a little differently, could perhaps be used for abilities that inspire allies to move off turn. (Think Knight's Move from 4E.) I'm not sure if that kind of movement ability makes sense here, but it's a thought.

doctorbadwolf

Nope, you're absolutely right. Monk is a very focused class, and has a lot of its power baked into its core chassis. If we're sticking with the monk framework, we should mimic that as much as possible.

-The warlord should have a decent attack (or attack grant) as their main action (scaling to Extra Attack at level 5).
-The bonus action should be spent on a baseline offensive or defensive grant to an ally, with riders and bonuses predicated on spending TP (tactical points, if we don't come up with a better name).
-Reactions are either OA (if vanguard) or special reaction abilities (if tactician), but should be subclass based. -Subclasses provide bonuses and riders to these core actions. (Compare to open hand monk boosting flurry of blows, or sun soul monk allowing for ranged flurry.) Magical subclass could alter this core, since they'll be casting spells.

Something like:

1: Archetype feature, Marshal Teamwork (grant attack when you sacrifice attack)
2: Guided Blow (Help as a bonus action, or some other offensive boost to an ally.)
5: Extra Attack
6: Archetype feature (Might vary the extra attack based on subclass. Vanguard gets bonus when they both attack and grant attack to nearby allies, Tactician grants attacks to 2 different allies, Magical maybe allows for ally cantrip cast? Iffy on that, might scale too well.)
what if you can grant a damage bonus to someone as a bonus action at Will when you take the attack action, and instead of stunning strike you can take the help action as an attack at level 5?

TwoSix

The hero you deserve
what if you can grant a damage bonus to someone as a bonus action at Will when you take the attack action, and instead of stunning strike you can take the help action as an attack at level 5?
Maybe around a 1d6 to start? Monk is 1d4+3, but the monk's main action attack probably won't be as strong. Help action as attack makes sense, but it would be generally inferior to granting another attack.

Advertisement