Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Observation: The monk chassis suggests the class should be able to do 13 damage a round (times hit rate), with a ki point adding 5.5 points of damage without an additional action expenditure in Tier 1. Using the same resource schedule suggests the warlord should be able to put out similar damage numbers. The monk's superior mobility and defensive options should probably be transformed into the ability to grant similar defensive advantages to allies, to maintain a rough balance between offense and defense/utility between the classes.

Core questions:
1) What amount of attack granting should the class have? Should it be at the class or subclass level? (I personally favor the "Take the attack action, sacrifice an attack to give an ally an extra attack on their turn" rule, but that's obviously an issue that needs to be answered first and foremost.)

2) What should the core action cycle look like? I'd lean towards Attack as an action, a utility bonus action (possibly linked to or upgraded by subclass), and then a tactic point expenditure to provide additional power or options to the bonus action. This is the closest analogue to the monk cycle, and still feels sufficiently "warlord-y".

3) What are the main stats for the class? Seems like it should be Str/Dex flexible, like most martials, and then maybe a secondary mental stat based on subclass? (Much like the rogue model.)

4) Are warlords proficient in katanas? (Trick question. Katanas are proficient with warlords.)

TwoSix

First things (IMO) should be agreement on:

1. Name.
2. HD.
3. Proficiencies.
4. Equipment.
1) This should be easy. :)
2) d8. Seems to be the default for support classes, and lets you slightly increase the power budget of class features. A hit point increase can also be baked into tougher subclasses, much like Draconic Sorcerer.
3) Skills: Pick 3 from Athletics, History, Insight, Animal Handling, Medicine, Perception, Deception, Persuasion, Intimidation. Rogues get 4 skills out of an 11 skill list, monks get 2 out of 6. 3 out of 9 seems a good compromise, warlord seems to be a slightly more skill oriented class.
Saves: I feel like mental makes sense? Int/Wis or Wis/Cha?
Weapon/Armor: Light, Medium, Shields, Simple Weapons feels right to me. Martial Weapons and Heavy Armor make sense as subclass features.
4) Modifed cleric equipment makes sense, assuming medium (possibly heavy) armor and simple weapons.
  • (a) a spear or (b) a rapier (if proficient)
  • (a) scale mail, (b) leather armor, or (c) chain mail (if proficient)
  • (a) a light crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
  • (a) a diplomat’s pack or (b) an explorer’s pack
  • a shield

TwoSix

Slightly more radical suggestion: Working on the assumption that there may be subclasses that have bonus hit points, increased weapon and armor proficiencies, and subclasses utilize different secondary stats, maybe moving the subclass selection to 1st level would be warranted. I have a pet peeve about subclasses that switch out their weapon and armor use at 3rd level (like Valor Bard).

Remove ads