Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I gotta say I don't like moxie, but mostly because I've always heard it in the context of stories set the 1920's so it just rings wrong to me. I'll happily go along with the group decision though.

My favorite so far is actually the pretty plain 'Tactical Dice". I think it's eminently descriptive and pretty baggage free.

Thats because the word Moxie originates in the early 1900s around New England/Maine, first as a patent medicine used to ‘build your nerve’ and then as a soft drink. Its very American and decidedly ganster

Bawylie

A very OK person
So using some basic synonyms, just to try and finalize this, I get these ideas for the shared resource name:
Valor
Audacity
Mettle
Fortitude
Cojones
Moxie
Guts
Spirit
Daring
Courage (courageousness, etc.)
Bravery

So, cojones isn't going to work. Guts is way too informal. I'm partial to audacity ... but that's just me.

I have to say ... moxie. Moxie is kind of cool, and exotic, and is also a soft drink.

Seriously, though, moxie might be a great name, and I don't think it's used in anything else in D&D.
How about Tactics? Strategies? Ploys?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I would argue for these key concepts for attack granting:

1) It should be a key feature of the class, although it doesn't have to be a Tier 1 feature. It shouldn't come online for any subclass later than early tier 2, levels 5-7. I would argue for granting it at-will, but I could see tying it to a ki point expenditure if it also grants an additional bonus.

2) It should explicitly be tied into the Attack action and sacrificing one or more of the warlord's personal attacks. Making it always require an action and making it a variant of one of the core rules actions prevents abuse, and makes it tie into the game rules more easily as a whole.

3) It should be especially useful for the tactician. Tacs should get it at Tier 1, and the ability to grant two attacks at Tier 2 after Extra Attack. Many of their ki point options should tie into granting an attack. Tacticians should almost certainly get at least one attack grant as an at-will.

4) I strongly favor the "grant an additional attack on the targeted character's turn." It's more elegant, and it has an overall lower budget (less nova strike capability, no rogue or off-turn damage source shenanigans, doesn't stack with other attack granters like haste).
4) I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think rogues getting SA off turn is a shenanigan, so much as something rogue is meant to be able to do.

I want attack granting to come in in tier 1, possibly at level 2. For most Marshals, it would cost 1 Ki and you use an attack to grant an attack on the ally’s next turn.

Not sure about the rest right now.

Level 3 seems like a smart place to put a ki point spender (note: I'm calling them ki points till a name is finalized), as the marshal will have just gotten their 3rd ki point and will have more opportunities to spend them.

Making it a defensive ability seems smart, too. Maybe reaction abilities here?
Agreed. The Monk gets Deflect Missiles, here, for instance.

How about Tactics? Strategies? Ploys?
Those sound more like names for things you do, rather than an internal resource you draw upon to do things.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I found ''Vigor'' and ''Resolve'' as synonym of Morale that can sound like something from D&D.
At first blush, Vigor is a point used to go on offense but Resolve is a point used to help the defense.

I prefer Resolve, because putting out the effort to strike an enemy twice comes from having the Resolve to win this fight.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
At first blush, Vigor is a point used to go on offense but Resolve is a point used to help the defense.

I prefer Resolve, because putting out the effort to strike an enemy twice comes from having the Resolve to win this fight.
Resolve is not bad at all... in 4e Discipline was considered one of the key elements of martial in general so martial types spending resolve is not bad.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think the person who used cromulent in a sentence wins. I'm the only dissenting voice on moxie anyway, and I don't hate it, so why not just go with that then.

Speaking of deflect missiles, we could use a ranged defense ability. Obviously our boy isn't catching arrows and hucking them back, but maybe something that could improve cover by a step, either as an aura or targeting X allies within X? Same general idea, but more Marshall-y. Either as a BA or maybe even a reaction.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I think the person who used cromulent in a sentence wins. I'm the only dissenting voice on moxie anyway, and I don't hate it, so why not just go with that then.

Speaking of deflect missiles, we could use a ranged defense ability. Obviously our boy isn't catching arrows and hucking them back, but maybe something that could improve cover by a step, either as an aura or targeting X allies within X? Same general idea, but more Marshall-y. Either as a BA or maybe even a reaction.
Allow parry as a reaction on each turn in combat while within 10 feet of the Warlord?

Remove ads