• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord or Soldier?

Warlord or Soldier? Which do you prefer?

• Warlord

Votes: 97 77.0%
  • Soldier

Votes: 29 23.0%

Li Shenron

Legend
Soldier doesn't sound to me on par with the names of all other classes in terms of potential heroism. I think at best it would work as a NPC class name alongside Expert and Aristocrat. It sounds too much like a man within the ranks, not someone that stands out.

Kobu

First Post
Slander said:
I'm not particularly fond of Warlord, but Soldier doesn't at all evoke what we've heard of the class so far. It's also a bit to militant for my taste for a core class.

And warlord isn't? :D

See, my guess is that we'll look at the class powers and think, "Uh, so what makes this guy a warlord? He sounds more like a sergeant."

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Of those two choice, I'd have to go with Warlord. As I understand it, the Warlord uses bard-like inspiration to bolster allies and such? Something like that? A Warlord sounds closer to that commander type than the Soldier, which only follows order and doesn't give them.

RandomCitizenX

First Post
Kobu said:
I don't think any of the other "leader" roles are going to have implied leadership over the group in name. Cleric and Druid for instance. In fact, I think the name Warlord has tainted perception of how the leader role functions.
I wasn't saying that leader class need implied leadership over the group. I was saying that between soldier and warlord, the warlord name express the role while soldier is merely the possability of the role.

Slander

Explorer
Kobu said:
And warlord isn't? :D

See, my guess is that we'll look at the class powers and think, "Uh, so what makes this guy a warlord? He sounds more like a sergeant."

In my mind, Soldier links up with a formal military force, and Warlord links up with an ad-hoc warband. Forced to choose between two choices I don't like, I have to go with the one that more closely fits with an adventuring party.

Aage

First Post
I have no problem with the name Warlord, which is why I voted for it. Soldier is horrible IMO. (And my name of choice is Knight)

Kobu

First Post
Ah, I see. I think the word "warlord" along with "leader" has really created the perception that this will be someone who in fact is barking orders and will have lordship over others.

I don't see that as a good thing though. I'd rather have a soldier in the party, someone who is offering suggestions on tactics.

I didn't really get the "I'm the leader" impression from the Marshal class. I would have called the class "soldier" and let the character refer to himself as "marshal" if he chose that particular aspect.

Elphilm

Explorer
Warlord wins the round!

For what it's worth, I do like Soldier better, and it is a nice enough class name in Star Wars Saga Edition. Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that the Soldier ain't gonna win this one.

Next up: Warlord vs. Captain?

Wepwawet

Explorer
Gloombunny said:
This is painful. I hate the name "warlord", but "soldier" is even worse. I can't bring myself to vote in favor of either one, even if they're the only options.
agreed... :confused:
Of what we heard about the alleged Warlord class, I think "Tactician" would be a neutral and descriptive name.
But wait, there's a lot of thread discussing this same thing :)

Last edited:

Kobu

First Post
Elphilm said:
Warlord wins the round!

For what it's worth, I do like Soldier better, and it is a nice enough class name in Star Wars Saga Edition. Nevertheless, it's pretty clear that the Soldier ain't gonna win this one.

Next up: Warlord vs. Captain?

Maybe? I don't really want to spam up the place with polls. Let's let it go a bit and see.

I think "soldier" has perception issues that can't get explained really quickly. I didn't realize that a lot of people thought soldier was synonymous to enlisted man. Captains and generals are soldiers too!

If the class had started out named soldier, I wonder, would there be a push to rename it warlord? I rather doubt it.

Remove ads