• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord or Soldier?

Warlord or Soldier? Which do you prefer?

• Warlord

Votes: 97 77.0%
  • Soldier

Votes: 29 23.0%

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Rechan said:
In all honesty I think Fighter should be Warrior.

From OD&D through 3e, I agree.
But in 4E I would rather see a Fighter and a Warrior rather than Fighter and Warlord (as it stands) or Warrior and Warlord (as I extrapolate your post.)

Fighter- highly-skilled individual combatant (like a boxer)
Warrior- trained to fight with a group (like a soldier, not not necessarily just a soldier)

Rechan

Adventurer
Reaper Steve said:
From OD&D through 3e, I agree.
But in 4E I would rather see a Fighter and a Warrior rather than Fighter and Warlord (as it stands) or Warrior and Warlord (as I extrapolate your post.)
Well no, I wasn't considering Warrior and Warlord together.

I agree that SOMETHING has to be done about the Warlord/Warlock issue.

Fighter- highly-skilled individual combatant (like a boxer)
Warrior- trained to fight with a group (like a soldier, not not necessarily just a soldier)
Who says that a warrior is trained for a group?

grimslade

Krampus ate my d20s
Warlord has some problems but most of the alternatives have their own baggage.
Personally, I prefer Captain it seems to sum up a leader but the military rank issue makes a 1st level Captain hard to take. Same problem with Sergeant or Lieutenant.

MoogleEmpMog

First Post
It really depends on how the class ends up being structured.

"Officer" sounds more appropriate than "Soldier," from what we've heard so far.

am181d

Adventurer
As I've mentioned in other threads, the correct answer is "Commander". As in "one who commands", as opposed to "one who fights" or "one who wizars". While there's a military connotation to "Commander", it's far more generic than either Warlord or Soldier.

Gadget

Adventurer
Warlord, despite a certain amount perceived baggage with the name, is an evocative fantasy arch-type. Soldier is most definitely not. To begin with, it is far to modern sounding, which is why it is an option in d20 modern and Star Wars, but not D&D. Second, it is a bit bland and does not have as strong a connotation in a Fantasy setting as it does in more modern settings, and while one could make the same argument for the also bland Fighter, I would prefer a more fantasy or archaic sounding name. While WOTC has proven themselves capable of going overboard on the flowery names of late (coughDragon's Tail strikecough), I also dislike the bland and un-fantasy sounding tactician, expert, aristocrat, etc. If alternatives must be sought, I would be for the, IMHO, more appropriate Marshall, Champion, Captian, warrior, etc.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads