Warlord or Soldier?

Warlord or Soldier? Which do you prefer?

• Warlord

Votes: 97 77.0%
  • Soldier

Votes: 29 23.0%

Gloombunny

First Post
This is painful. I hate the name "warlord", but "soldier" is even worse. I can't bring myself to vote in favor of either one, even if they're the only options.

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Warlord is okay in my opinion, not good, not bad.
Soldier I don't really like. Just like warlord it brings its own set of implications but doesn't sound as cool nor convey the inspirational aspects warlord does.

Honestly I can't think of a really good name for the class. I'd just use marshall, since its a word thats fallen out of modern usage somewhat (see ranger, paladin, rogue) and it was used for a similarly designed class in 3.X.

Kobu

First Post
Gloombunny said:
This is painful. I hate the name "warlord", but "soldier" is even worse. I can't bring myself to vote in favor of either one, even if they're the only options.

Sorry. :)

I would have done a big runoff with "none of the above" but the polls aren't flexible like that.

Would you think Soldier was worse if Wizards had simply announced that a Soldier class would be joining?

RandomCitizenX

First Post
I think of Soldier as being directly tied to military for one thing, but also I think that it is more directly tied to following orders in my mind. I know that every officer is a soldier, but not all soldiers are officers. If leadership/buff/whatever powers they get which help with the "leader" role would be only one possible option for a fighter esq class then I would be all for soldier. When you think about the fact that the class has been confirmed to go in the "Leader" role I just can't see using it over warlord, which has a definate sound of leadership even if it is a bit forced in granduer and experience.

Gloombunny

First Post
Kobu said:
Sorry. :)

I would have done a big runoff with "none of the above" but the polls aren't flexible like that.

Would you think Soldier was worse if Wizards had simply announced that a Soldier class would be joining?
Probably. "Warlord" is inappropriate for a class name, but at least it's not likely to conflict with other characters. Soldier is a popular choice of background for fighter-class characters.

Kobu

First Post
RandomCitizenX said:
I think of Soldier as being directly tied to military for one thing, but also I think that it is more directly tied to following orders in my mind. I know that every officer is a soldier, but not all soldiers are officers. If leadership/buff/whatever powers they get which help with the "leader" role would be only one possible option for a fighter esq class then I would be all for soldier. When you think about the fact that the class has been confirmed to go in the "Leader" role I just can't see using it over warlord, which has a definate sound of leadership even if it is a bit forced in granduer and experience.

I don't think any of the other "leader" roles are going to have implied leadership over the group in name. Cleric and Druid for instance. In fact, I think the name Warlord has tainted perception of how the leader role functions.

Slander

Explorer
I'm not particularly fond of Warlord, but Soldier doesn't at all evoke what we've heard of the class so far. It's also a bit to militant for my taste for a core class.

The best alternative I've heard suggested has been "Commander". Though, as I'm in the middle of playing Oblivion, "Doyen" comes to mind as another alternative. Sounds a little wierd, but kinda fits what we know of the class. ... ... ... eh, maybe not <shrug>

Kobu

First Post
Gloombunny said:
Probably. "Warlord" is inappropriate for a class name, but at least it's not likely to conflict with other characters. Soldier is a popular choice of background for fighter-class characters.

Yes, but the fighter has never come with any abilities that indicate he's had squad combat training. I'd say that a lot of soldier background style characters are going to be re-imaged from fighters to warlords.

Remove ads