• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Warlords: Martial Healing is where it is meant to be

Mike Mearls on Twitter said:
@sleypy The fighter warlord is martial and includes healing - we assume that if you want that in your campaign, you're cool with that.
-Mike Mearls (@mikemearls)
(Source)

Thank goodness they are doing things the sensible way there.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The first person who comes into this thread complaining about this because it now means he has to tell his imaginary players that their campaign is not going to use that subclass, and his players are gonna "get all upset"... gets a kick in the head. ;)

Wicht

Hero
The first person who comes into this thread complaining about this because it now means he has to tell his imaginary players that their campaign is not going to use that subclass, and his players are gonna "get all upset"... gets a kick in the head. ;)

Do many people really play with imaginary players? I feel for them if true. Or are we meaning the players imaginary characters.

I must be really out of the loop on 4e and 5e because as I read the initial post, I have no idea whether to take the "thank goodness" as sarcasm or not. I also have no idea what the tweet means except it seems self-evidently true that people that like a certain thing will like it. Is this really a big issue and could someone explain why?

I feel kinda bummed that the vocabulary and concerns of 4e players and Pathfinder players have so diverged that we sometimes aren't actually speaking the same RPG language.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I must be really out of the loop on 4e and 5e because as I read the initial post, I have no idea whether to take the "thank goodness" as sarcasm or not. I also have no idea what the tweet means except it seems self-evidently true that people that like a certain thing will like it. Is this really a big issue and could someone explain why?

I feel kinda bummed that the vocabulary and concerns of 4e players and Pathfinder players have so diverged that we sometimes aren't actually speaking the same RPG language.
Healing via mechanics that are narrated as "inspirational" or "you weren't hit as badly as you thought" as opposed to magical, often shorthanded to "martial healing" is a core concept behind the 4e warlord class. This concept of hit points, while hinted at in previous editions, is made explicit in 4e, and thus the warlord became an early flashpoint in the Edition Wars(tm).

The exclusion of a discrete warlord class, a class that many 4e fans find to be near or at the pinnacle of well-done 4e class design, has also served as a rallying point for those who feel the 4e fan base is being marginalized in the 5e design process. Adding on a warlord sub-class has served as a salve for a few of the hurt feelings. Having explicit martial healing, even at the risk of offending a portion of the previous edition fanbases, bodes well for more 4e conceits to possibly be added to Next/5e. Thus neonchameleon's (a noted 4e fan) positive response.

Kinak

First Post
Honestly, and I say this as a Pathfinder die-hard, I'm glad they're actually doing the warlord the way 4e players will recognize. I might like it or not, but I don't have a history with the class. So, if it turns out to not be something I want, I can just ignore it without losing anything I've come to appreciate.

Cheers!
Kinak

Ahnehnois

First Post
No issue there. None of the real players I know have ever heard of a warlord. Nothing's likely to change there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads