D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I think mistakes were made on both sides to culminate to this.

I don't think retconning to be the correct response. Either make the shopkeeper a bit less hostile to the well armed angry adventurers, or make the heist fairly simple.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Dm commuted lie of omission in not mentioning clearly visible ring

Ah, the old canard. "Heads, I win, tails, you lose."

Players can imbue their characters with knowledge that a character would not have. Because that's fine. And because meta-gaming just is.

And, of course, if a player messes up, by the magic powers of reverse incorporation of meta-gaming, the character has imbued the player with the knowledge that the player should have known.

This has been a short, but enlightening, series in "The real answer to all questions is that my desired outcome prevails, regardless of what happened."

;)

Lejaun

First Post
The way the original poster stated how he described the items makes it seem almost like there is nothing anymore special to it than the armor. The players should have been given a better idea that the ring and gauntlet were more than just part of a set of armor. The ring in particular wouldn't really be part of any armor set usually, so it should have been noticed in particular, even if it was "stuck" to the gauntlets. I think you ended up making things a bit more clever than they should have been. The players should have known that the items were of high significance and not something that that would be casually sold for gold.

Even with the vague description you gave them, the players obviously didn't mean to sell the gauntlets and ring, as they said that they wanted to get them checked out, but you said it was too late and they were sold. The blacksmith, who you claim didn't know anything about the items, now suddenly knows that they are more valuable than he paid for? Seems way shady and reeks of vindictiveness for a player who is innattentive. It's a move that is not going to make the players very happy (towards the DM) and that type of thing can kill a campaign and player enthusiasm.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Not in theshop

He didn't have to mention it in the shop. The player was made aware of it prior to the sale and sometimes forgetful stuff happens. I personally would have given the PC a roll to remember, but sloppy sales on the part of the player is the player's fault. Players don't need their hands held like a toddler to prevent them from making mistakes.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
But it isn't up to the DM to play book keeping for the players. He remembered all the magic items when they were on the big bad, now the players have the equipment. Sounds like their job to keep track of now.

Nope. Dm job to frame scene

Remove ads