• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

MechaPilot

Explorer
If his players aren't blaming him, nobody else here has any right to blame him.

That's not how freedom of speech actually works you know.

I'm glad the OP's players don't blame him, that they had fun (because that is the point of the game), and that there are no hard feelings. But I'm not going to pretend that no one was in the wrong. If nothing else the OP should have politely and privately spoken to phone guy about his poor table etiquette before it ever became persistent enough to be annoying. And phone guy should have been more courteous to the rest of the group (DM included).

Likewise, I'm not going to pretend that I wasn't in the wrong in stepping on my coworker's foot. That's the whole point of apologizing for it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is such a silly argument.

He came here asking for our thoughts. So you telling us it's not our place to give our thoughts is completely contradictory to the OP, and to the purpose of this forum.

Thought sure. Attacking him? No. A polite, "I think you were in error here, because of X, Y and Z." is fine. Rude attacks like those who have been posting against him here have been making are uncalled for and they have no right to do so.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Good analogies enlighten. Bad analogies obfuscate.

I liken this more to someone saying that he had an interesting day at work, after having bumped into a co-worker.

A bunch of people said, "Hey- you need to RESIGN because you maliciously stomped on someone's foot!"

Other people said, "Hey- you probably should KICK that person, so they respect your authority!"

Meanwhile, that someone stated, "Woah, I meant that we ran into each other, you know, said hi!"

But maybe that's a bad analogy, too. :)

The lesson, as always, is that it never helps to reach definitive conclusions about people that you don't know, regarding a situation you weren't involved in.

In all fairness we can only judge a situation by the information we were given, whether as related by another or through our own senses. The OP related what he/she thought was all the relevant info and asked us to give our opinions. If the information was in error or was incomplete, then the fault for that rests with the one who conveyed it.

MechaPilot

Explorer
Thought sure. Attacking him? No. A polite, "I think you were in error here, because of X, Y and Z." is fine. Rude attacks like those who have been posting against him here have been making are uncalled for and they have no right to do so.

The posts here that say that the OP was in error cannot all be lumped together as being rude. Some of them certainly are. Some of them were even personal attacks. Being rude and making personal attacks is uncalled for, but everyone here has a right to say we think you were wrong (or right).

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
If his players aren't blaming him, nobody else here has any right to blame him.
I don't think that is a very intelligent approach. Especially considering that we have only the evidence that the players have decided to tell the DM "It's fine, we've moved on to getting our stuff back in-game" - not any actual testimony about the players collective feelings on the matter that illumintates whether this is a "I didn't like it, I hope it doesn't happen again, and I can let it slide since this is the only game in town to my knowledge", a genuine "I over-reacted at first, it's not a problem at all", or some other kind of situation in which the players might tell the DM there isn't a problem.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Yes, the player did have that knowledge. The player was the one that wrapped them up as a set, so he clearly had the knowledge. He just forgot about it because he wasn't paying attention. It's not the DM's job to protect the players from themselves. It's the players' jobs to pay attention.
You make it sound as though you would believe the DM was not doing anything inappropriate in the following scenario:

DM: "You find a small idol of a winged humanoid figure, it appears to be made of gold."
Player: "Alright... don't know much about that, so I'll just put in my backpack for now to get it back to town."
<later, in town>
Player: "I go sell the idol."
DM: "You get what seems like a fair price for the idol."
Player: "Alright, I'm going to head over to the tavern now and rest on the porch smoking my pipe."
DM: "You don't have a pipe, nor any tobacco. You sold everything in your backpack alongside that idol."

Because literally the only thing in the OP's description of what went down that suggested the gauntlets and ring were being sold alongside the armor is that the players had put them in the same container to get them back to town, and the player selling the armor didn't state add "...and nothing else," to the end of his declaration of intent to sell the armor.

MostlyDm

Explorer
My general experience is that if players feel like the DM has tricked them, they tend to feel that this is unfair. The DM's job is to be the arbiter, not the antagonist.

This reminds me of probably my single favorite moment of "tricking" PCs. There was a moment where the a player thought I had tricked him with a cheap gotcha rather than tricked his character... But it turned out a little different.

The party had acquired a minor artifact that was clearly cursed and quite dangerous. They were investigating possible courses of action to destroy it. They vaguely knew there was Someone out there on the lit trail but hadn't had any real run-ins with this mysterious foe.

They're in a large town on the frontier, filled with urchins and pickpockets.

One character decided to wander alone with the artifact, deciding he would handle it himself. On the way, a kid knocks into him. He immediately grabs the kid, checks his pocket (sure enough, purse is missing), and demands his stuff back.

The kid denies it, when a passerby intervenes and agrees that the kid did, indeed, steal the PC's purse. They make the kid cough it up, and the PC thanks the stranger. They have a warm handshake, and the NPC goes in for the classic one-armed man-hug.

PC goes on his merry way. Gets to his destination, goes for the artifact, and it's nowhere to be seen.

For a moment, the player is pissed. He says "okay I guess I didn't explicitly say I checked to see if the artifact was there too..." Thinking the kid stole both purse and item. That would have been a DM gotcha, in my book. No fun.

I tell him "nah, you're positive the artifact was there when the kid gave you the purse back."

At which point the whole party realizes the pickpocket kid was pure misdirection, and the "helpful" NPC was the real thief, intending to nab the artifact all along.

And I'd been sure they would catch on during the man hug.

TL, DR: Tricking players is bad form. Tricking characters is great fun.

I think the OP scenario has a few elements of both.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Interesting. The more information Rastrak provided, the more I believed that he was trying, in good faith, to run an enjoyable game. It sounds like fun, and I'd enjoy a campaign where the half-orc brothers are running the local stores. Not to mention a heist! Complications are the heart of soul of fun - for me.

And, in general, I would agree that turning problems into plot opportunities is a good thing--as I said. It's also neat to do things like have your store NPCs be more than just Ageless Nameless Faceless [Gender-Neutral] Culturally Ambiguous Entrepreneurial Persons. And I don't, even slightly, think that he wasn't trying to "run an enjoyable game."

But none of those things is the same as saying that it was wrong to fail to clarify what was happening. The character would have known and been aware of the meaning, and would have responded accordingly--he or she would have SEEN that it included the gauntlet. Punishing the whole group for one person misunderstanding an intentionally vague statement, after the player had intentionally appraised what he was offering to the buyer, is an Unwise Move. It may not have been a dick move, but it's pretty close, and I would have a problem with it if it happened to me. Given my bouts of absent-mindedness, I strongly suspect it could have, and I'd be pretty upset.

I try not to accuse other people of being malicious, or (as someone else put it) lying liars, given that I wasn't there. But seeing as you have looked into the hearts of all the people involved, perhaps you know better than I do?

Your sarcasm does your point disservice. No, we weren't there. No, we can't specifically say what happened. All we have is the one person speaking up about it. But it's curious, is it not, that we're getting a biased account and yet challenging the person it should theoretically be biased toward?

More to the point, whether or not you think this is a fun situation, can you understand why people might be angered by it? Can you see how it could result in sore feelings and maybe even lingering resentment, even if nothing truly harmful ever results from it? If so, then it is a little hard to accept that you think it was completely okay to do this. The DM pulled a fast one on a player, possibly with full intent, possibly only as a subconscious thing against a (different) player whose behavior has been a source of frustration. It couldn't be by accident because the DM was aware of the blacksmith's deceitful intent, given that all of the blacksmith's actions were selected by the DM.

Randrak's intent may have been wholly virtuous, or wholly vicious, or anywhere in-between. I don't really think that matters. What does matter is that, in his own words, some were upset and felt deceived, and the action clearly soured the session for some of the group. That, pretty clearly in my mind, demonstrates that it was an unwise move, in this context, with this group, at this time.

The miscommunication was between the players. The ranger PC was at the table when the barbarian wrapped the entire thing as a set. People forget and make mistakes. It happens to PCs just as much as to real people. I'd have given a roll myself, but I see no reason to treat the players like children and protect them from themselves. If they make a mistake, they've made a mistake. Mistakes like that add to the game and allow different and grand interactions as group attempts to overcome it.

Are you saying that speaking clearly and forthrightly is equivalent to treating people like children? Because I find that a little difficult to believe.

And, since it came up in a different post of yours: remember that the person who sold the armor wasn't the person who bundled the armor, and (unless I'm mistaken) neither of those people was "Mr. Cellphone."

Relative to typical D&D worlds like Oerth or FR, Middle Earth was a low magic setting.

True, though somewhat off-topic. Just as "Vancian" doesn't narrowly mean the way Jack Vance wrote magic, "Tolkien(esque)" doesn't narrowly mean the way JRRT wrote equipment/magic.

Wow, guess a lot of DMs were having wrongbadfun back in the day - and are doing so again playing OSR games and, well, 5e, because 5e is pretty open to that style, again (in keeping with it's goals of supporting more styles, and being for everyone who ever loved D&D, including those older editions were 'gotchya' moments were de rigueur).

Is that actually what happens? Intentionally deceiving players into doing things you know they don't want to do, have stated they don't want to do, and have made a legitimate effort to avoid, by feeding them intentionally ambiguous and counter-intuitive information and then, if not delighting in the results, at least insisting that they accept that that's what happened?

Because "rolling things behind the screen" and "not playing with your cards plot coupons face up" doesn't equate to "intentionally deceiving your players and being surprised when they dislike it." I've played a (very little) bit of OSR-type games, and the DM was quite fair and honest when some effort was made to deal with things--like, I dunno, a good-faith effort to appraise the value of something being sold, and getting a strong success from the associated roll. Or a good-faith effort to, say, search a room for traps and getting a strong success on the associated roll. I see literally zero difference between the example appraisal-followed-by-deception and successfully searching a room for traps, the DM saying that you notice nothing dangerous, and then half an hour later telling you that your character is dying of poison because you didn't specifically look for poison gas already in the air, because that's soooooo different from searching for traps.

Roll a deception check out in the open, and trust the player to RP appropriately. Not hard, but not the only way to do it 5e, where the DM is free to decide when a check is called for.

Well sure. But in this case, the deception was PURELY a deception of the player, NOT the character. The character knew the ring was there. The character knew precisely what articles were being sold. The player rolled, presumably in the open, and got a good result. Is deceiving the player while the character should NOT be deceived something 5e supports?

Sure. Not so much that it'd be unfair to the player, as it's just unlikely to be effective at moderating the player's bad behavior compared to just communicating honestly with him.

And yet such things were, explicitly, suggested in the oldest of schools--Gygax's own prose. I've read it. They aren't (typically*) quite as strident as usually believed, but it absolutely recommends punishing players for player behaviors (such as when they seek to play non-standard, or sometimes even non-human, races) specifically to moderate those "bad" behaviors.

Then again, bad player behaviors can spill over into RP and character actions, which may still have consequences in game...

At which point it becomes appropriate to punish the character for those behaviors. E.g. a player who constantly tries to screw over her party members or even kill them, may face unexpected problems when her character's criminal past becomes a serious issue for the party. It's initially a player behavior, but the in-character effects (dicking over the fellow players) are met with in-character response ("this person is a known thief and scoundrel, and we have evidence that you, too, have been cheated by them" kind of thing).

*I say "typically" because the usually-cited examples aren't egregious, but still over-the-top for my tastes, unless you take a very narrow and generous reading. But I have seen some examples that were...pretty much just as strident as alleged. Gygax, it seems, was a much nicer and more likable person when writing or speaking personally than he was in his "professional" game-making prose.

I'm sure people here will still somehow blame you for it, even though it worked out and the players aren't upset with what happened. Good for you, though.

Assuming ill of your fellow posters does your position even less good than the sarcasm did Lowkey's.

I'm glad the OP's players don't blame him, that they had fun (because that is the point of the game), and that there are no hard feelings. But I'm not going to pretend that no one was in the wrong. If nothing else the OP should have politely and privately spoken to phone guy about his poor table etiquette before it ever became persistent enough to be annoying. And phone guy should have been more courteous to the rest of the group (DM included).

Agreed. Just because the group lets it slide--whether with enthusiasm or a heavy sigh--doesn't mean it was a good thing to do. It wasn't the worst thing to do, and it had elements that were even good ideas (like trying to turn it into a plot hook of its own). But being forgiven for a wrong does not make the action right!

Remove ads