WotC Was just one D&D book announced at D&D Live 2020?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Icewind Dale: Rime of the Ice Maiden was announced, as was an accompanying dice set, and a cookbook, and some new comic series, but were any of the other much-expected books announced? Xanathar's 2.0? A planar book? The two Ravenloft-adjacent books mentioned last week? Was there an announcement as to when an announcement of a teaser might be shown?

Fenris447

Explorer
Personally, I was hoping for at least an announcement of when they'd announce the announcement for the announcing of the product. But I'd settle for announcement of that...

I did see in one of the stream threads that nothing was teased, which is disappointing. I think Xanathar's 2 is pretty much a foregone conclusion at this point. But it would be nice to know more. At least we know something with racial stat bonus variants is happening this year.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
At this point they could announce a book strictly of announcements that tease announcements of books that will contain announcements. A catalogue if you will. :p

I suspect recent events and decisions threw much of their schedule into a rather significant period of re-evaluation...frankly I see their recent statement as an announcement they will be evaluating those books and will announce them once the evaluation (and possible re-writes) is complete, or well on their way to completion.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They did tease that there was an as yet unannounced product in this announcement.

“Later this year, we will release a product (not yet announced) that offers a way for a player to customize their character’s origin...”

June is too early to announce something that might be out in November, especially when they want the focus to be on that adventure.

Not just that, but they may have had that next book most of the way done and ready to tease, like in previous years, and then the world exploded and they had to shift gears and change directions and possibly rewrite or just delay the next book and move something else, like what was mentioned in the diversity announcement, into the Fall spot instead.

June is too early to announce something that might be out in November, especially when they want the focus to be on that adventure.
They did it the last couple of years or so though, if only teasing us like they did for Eberron. I imagine they're doing some last minute adjustments on the product which is causing delays to the announcement. Given that they did say "later this year" only a few days ago makes me pretty certain that we'll be hearing an announcement relatively soon.

Fenris447

Explorer
Not just that, but they may have had that next book most of the way done and ready to tease, like in previous years, and then the world exploded and they had to shift gears and change directions and possibly rewrite or just delay the next book and move something else, like what was mentioned in the diversity announcement, into the Fall spot instead.

Considering the timing of recent subclass UA's, it seems likely the November product was always intended to be this XGTE2. I don't doubt that a partial re-work is happening due to recent cultural concerns, but I don't imagine it's quite a last-minute change.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Considering the timing of recent subclass UA's, it seems likely the November product was always intended to be this XGTE2. I don't doubt that a partial re-work is happening due to recent cultural concerns, but I don't imagine it's quite a last-minute change.
They did the Class Feature Variants UA, and this "racial rework" feature they mention seems to be on theme with that.

Remove ads