• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures: New from Unearthed Arcana

I, for one, am very pleased with the different options for existing classes over completely different classes. I don't really have an balance thoughts. Balance isn't an issue with me unless it's incredibly flagrant.

I, for one, am very pleased with the different options for existing classes over completely different classes.

I don't really have an balance thoughts. Balance isn't an issue with me unless it's incredibly flagrant.

Toujours l’Audace really needs some work.
First, it pretty much lets you sneak attack every round. Either your allies are going to be within 5 feet (sneak) or none are (sneak). Secondly, it uses the term "when none of your allies are adjacent", but 5e doesn't use the term "adjacent" to refer to positioning.

I do like the unearthed arcana articles, but I am really irritated about thefact, that new races only have a combined +2 to ability scores instead of +3 like most races of the PHB...
The minotaur gets some SOLID combat applicable tricks to make up for that. Horns as a bonus attack when dashing and having a Push type shove as a bonus action all other times, with advantage on all shoves.

turkeygiant

First Post
The minotaur gets some SOLID combat applicable tricks to make up for that. Horns as a bonus attack when dashing and having a Push type shove as a bonus action all other times, with advantage on all shoves.

I just don't like the lack of symmetry between these UA races and the ones in the PHB, especially when some of the PHB races have equally potent racial features and still get the +2/+1.

I just don't like the lack of symmetry between these UA races and the ones in the PHB, especially when some of the PHB races have equally potent racial features and still get the +2/+1.

Well, the latter point--about equally potent features--is certainly a point for discussion. But as far as a lack of symmetry? My response is:

*applause*

They're different races. They should be asymmetrical. Balanced? Yes. Perfectly symmetrical/identical? No, thanks.

JMO, as always. But while it can, of course, be taken too far, I'd rather risk a bit of imbalance than force the races to all function identically in terms of numbers.

dwayne

Adventurer
tales of the Twerking Monks of Myth Drannor

If you've ever studied martial arts, you'll know that the power and prowess your training gives you (or the monk), is developed through constant practice (kata or forms). I don't personally think a kata for the head would be impossible but I do think it would be difficult. But then, it could be included as _part_ of a kata, I guess.
Heads are part of ones body. True. It could be conceivable to train with your head. But your butt is also part of your body. Can you train with that? Weaponise your rear? I'd love to hear the terrifying tales of the Twerking Monks of Myth Drannor. Led by Head Monk, Mythy E'Leot...

Sorry but had a mental image that had me rolling :) Myley Sorerass boney butt style :)

Inchoroi

Adventurer
Ooh, here's an idea...

It causes the enemy to suffer disadvantage on attacks against everyone save the swashbuckler... But on each subsequent round, it only lasts if the swashbuckler

A) Repeats the action, which--while doable--gets boring; or

B) Makes a melee attack against the target.

This way, it keeps the swashbuckler involved, and it encourages use of the swashbuckler's mobility powers. He has to keep sweeping in and out, sticking and moving, to maintain the benefit he's granting his allies. :D

That's probably what I'll go with for my purposes. It makes it more fun! Actually, I wonder if my AL DM will let me play one of these instead of my monk...?

EDIT: I also wonder if, instead, it shouldn't just ignore resistance to your weapon attacks, because of precision...but, at this level, there should be a utility (re: Assassin's disguise thing).

EDIT EDIT: This is a written up version of the above.

Panache
At 9th level, it is arguable which is sharper, your blade or your wit. As an action, choose one creature within 60 feet and make a Charisma (Persuasion) check opposed by their Wisdom (Insight) check. The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language.

If the creature is hostile and you succeed, the creature has disadvantage on attacks against others save yourself for one minute. This effect ends early unless you make a melee attack against the creature each round or use this ability a second time on the creature to maintain the effect.

If the creature is not hostile, it becomes charmed by you for one minute, regarding you as a friendly acquaintance. The charmed effect ends if you or an ally attacks the creature.

Last edited by a moderator:

ad_hoc

(they/them)

Mountain Dwarf, Half-Elf, Human, and Variant Human would like a word with you.

IchneumonWasp

Explorer
I like the quality of these articles. What would the chance be of ever seeing a compilation of these published in a hard-cover book? Maybe called... Unearthed Arcana?

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Toujours l’Audace really needs some work.
First, it pretty much lets you sneak attack every round. Either your allies are going to be within 5 feet (sneak) or none are (sneak).

I think that's the primary feature of the sub-class. In exchange for wanting the swashbuckler having to be his own meat-shield and absorb attacks, he gets to do more damage all the time. The Thief and the Assassin get to do more damage in melee only occasionally (only when an ally is adjacent to the enemy), but in exchange they get attacked less often because the other allies are there to take their share of the attacks as well (and oftentimes have abilities that can draw off attacks from the Rogue or reduce effectiveness to enemies who want to attack the Rogue rather than the tanks next to him.)

If you want a Rogue sub-class that is meant to duel with an enemy and go mano-a-mano, there has to be a good reason to make the Rogue want to do it. Giving them their Sneak Attack damage is a way to do so. It becomes "massive damage versus massive damage", first one to blow the other's HP to 0 as quickly as possible wins.

That's probably what I'll go with for my purposes. It makes it more fun! Actually, I wonder if my AL DM will let me play one of these instead of my monk...?

EDIT: I also wonder if, instead, it shouldn't just ignore resistance to your weapon attacks, because of precision...but, at this level, there should be a utility (re: Assassin's disguise thing).

EDIT EDIT: This is a written up version of the above.

Panache
At 9th level, it is arguable which is sharper, your blade or your wit. As an action, choose one creature within 60 feet and make a Charisma (Persuasion) check opposed by their Wisdom (Insight) check. The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language.

If the creature is hostile and you succeed, the creature has disadvantage on attacks against others save yourself for one minute. This effect ends early unless you make a melee attack against the creature each round or use this ability a second time on the creature to maintain the effect.

If the creature is not hostile, it becomes charmed by you for one minute, regarding you as a friendly acquaintance. The charmed effect ends if you or an ally attacks the creature.

I really think people are glossing over how powerful the non-hostile charming aspect is. You win an opposed check, to gain advantage on all social rolls for a minute. Which means once you charm the target, you gain advantage to keep charming them. There's no downside, and no expenditure of resources. Charm Person requires a spell slot, and the target knows it was charmed when it wears off. If they didnt want casters dominating social challenges with magic (which is a good call btw), I think it is reasonable for swashbucklers to not do the same. And watch out if they took persuade or bluff as an expertise skill.

I'm not sure the best way to tone this down. Letting it not be reapplied seems fairly appropriate, as it lets the swashbuckler make a good first impression, as opposed to being Grima Wormtongue cranked up to 11.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads