D&D 5E Waterdeep: Dragon Heist Post-Mortem (Spoilers)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Well, it's a matter of taste. The alternative to having no AP is a large sandbox. Some groups prefer that and it's fine. But there are also a lot of people who like an epic storyline, which no sandbox can provide because you need some sort of uber-arc to do this.
I'd like to explore this. For many editions of D&D and lots of other RGPS there were plenty of non-Adventure Path adventures put out. So it was completely possible to run adventure-eposodic, but not at all sandbox. I've played with multiple DMs who did this.

But really, your comment brought me to a different place - could there be a call for uber-arc products, that's separated from individual adventures? Actual seeds to be built on that provide an arc, lots of ways to tie in other adventures, sample NPCs and pertanent things for NPCs to do to help tie things in, suggested foes and locations, some set pieces for various Acts, rumors, information and lore, and a big finale run. Designed so that DMs can run whatever adventure modules they want, from homebrew to 3pp to official. Something to layer on top of existing adventures.

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
I'd like to explore this. For many editions of D&D and lots of other RGPS there were plenty of non-Adventure Path adventures put out. So it was completely possible to run adventure-eposodic, but not at all sandbox. I've played with multiple DMs who did this.

But really, your comment brought me to a different place - could there be a call for uber-arc products, that's separated from individual adventures? Actual seeds to be built on that provide an arc, lots of ways to tie in other adventures, sample NPCs and pertanent things for NPCs to do to help tie things in, suggested foes and locations, some set pieces for various Acts, rumors, information and lore, and a big finale run. Designed so that DMs can run whatever adventure modules they want, from homebrew to 3pp to official. Something to layer on top of existing adventures.

The setting books they've been putting out lately are kind of this. Explorer's Guide to Wildemount in particular comes quite close to what you're describing. Bunch of locations with adventure hooks, seeds, NPCs with statblocks, factions, lore, information, plus 4 possible starting adventures each of which end with suggested hooks for continuing. Each location has different adventure hooks/seeds depending on what tier the characters are when they get there. Could use a few more maps but otherwise it's more or less what you are describing.

Lyxen

Great Old One

Of course. This was the default mode for us as well for many many years. I'm actually not sure when the first campaign appeared, probably around T1 into the Temple of Elemental Evil, or Maybe the Slave Lords. But GDQ was fantastic.

Hmmm, it's an idea, but I see some difficulties. For me, AP are great if you get the foreshadowing of the future well integrated in the modules. So basically, it would mean re-introducing the uber-arc elements back into the modules in a way that makes sense. Possibly not impossible, but will the modules be as good as modules created around the uber-arc ?

I'm actually not sure when the first campaign appeared, probably around T1 into the Temple of Elemental Evil, or Maybe the Slave Lords. But GDQ was fantastic.
Probably Against the Giants -> Queen of the Demonweb Pits. But none of these where planned as a campaign, they where modules that spawned sequel modules. The first planned-from-the-start as a campaign would be Dragonlance.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Probably Against the Giants -> Queen of the Demonweb Pits. But none of these where planned as a campaign, they where modules that spawned sequel modules. The first planned-from-the-start as a campaign would be Dragonlance.

I think you're right about GDQ, but I disagree about the "not campaign". I can't prove it about G1/G2. but in G3, clearly, the trail right up to D3 is there, there is clearly an arc.

I'm 35 sessions (about 70 hours) into my version of Dragon Heist. I used the Alexandrian Remix as inspiration, changed some of the factions, and replaced the Stone of Golorr with the Deck of Many Things. The result is arguably the best campaign I have ever run. It's thematically focused, has a variety of gameplay, and is always unpredictable. Lots of fun. I expect we'll wrap it up before session 50 with the characters just about 10th level.
Wish I would have thought of using the Deck of Many Things. Much more fun than the Stone.

Hussar

Legend
Well, as someone who has just recently prepped an OSE version of B1: In Search of the Unknown, I would completely agree with that. However, those were like two of the very first adventures for Basic D&D - and the tradition of "fill out this dungeon to learn how to be a DM" more or less ended 40 years ago.

I know there were semantics on here (maybe another post, but in another Post-Mortem anyway) in which someone was saying "Adventure Paths" don't apply to the mega-campaign adventures by WotC. I'd say that it's been the norm for the entirety of Pathfinder's existence and basically all of 5e - so pretty much the last decade.

Again, if they presented these as campaign "toolboxes" for creating a mystery investigation (or a hexcrawl, etc.) I don't think I'd have as big of an issue. However, I'm trying to imagine myself as a 13 year-old trying to DM my friends in their first game. I'd be at a complete loss with many of these adventures - not to mention terribly overwhelmed by a 200+ page hardcover adventure (to go along with the three core books).
Definitely need more 32 page adventures, or at least more straightforward things that don't have complex flowcharts, etc.
Heh. To be fair, Dragon Heist, at least the adventure part, is about 32 pages long and it's not like a single line is a complex flowchart. :D

But, yeah, I totally agree with everything you said here.

Hussar

Legend
There is another point to remember. People get very, very bent out of shape about how AP's are railroading.

I've had players though, that are perfectly happy, I daresay happiest, when the DM is leading them by the nose. They are simply not interested in being the slightest bit proactive in how the campaign runs. The DM wheels up the plot wagon, spoon feeds the players, and then players then run through that.

It's not a rare thing either. I've seen lots of players who are perfectly content with this. I've also seen lots of players that, when confronted with a shopping list of choices, sit there and stare at me baffled, as if to say, "You're the DM, you tell US what to do and we'll happily do it." So long as whatever is presented isn't too different than what was presented before, they're content.

I think it's a mistake sometimes in these discussions, to presume that players are all highly proactive, deeply immersive players who want to take control of the game and tell their own stories. There are a LOT of players out there that have zero interest in shaping or creating their own stories. They just want to get in the car, and watch the scenery so to speak.

For those players, lockstep railroads where the only choices are basically, do we turn left or right at the fork in the dungeon, are happy players.

Remove ads